paypal disputes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcoronaangel

SO silly me decided to send a huge box full of chinchilla toys to SPAIN...
And yes you guessed it.
The buyer didn't end up providing me with enough funds to ship the items but I was nice enough to pay for the rest. I did not get insurance or a tracking number because I had already put in so much of my own money to ship the items.... yes looking back that was a stupid move. (I should have just told her how much more the had to pay the ship the item then told her she also HAD to buy insurance...which she had an option and didnt want to).

Now the buyer has opened a dispute on paypal.
I have provided paypal with proof that I mailed the item (the bill from usps) BUT I guess that doesnt matter... If the item doesnt get to the the buyer then it's my fault. :thumbsup:

It's weird how sellers are responsible for the items after we ship them. I think the buyer should take it up with usps or ups or fedex or whatever.

Anyways after a LONG conversation with paypal I decided it was better to just refund her the money and HOPE she will contact paypal when the shipment reaches Spain... whever that will be.

:hair: If u ask me... she never will :impatient:

just wanted to Vent

Did you ship it with Paypal? If so, most of the time you're covered because there is tracking. If not, get a tracking number, always. On the other hand, if the package thats received is damaged, then the seller is at fault unless they purchased insurance.

I always ship with Paypal if possible, and just this week I had sold a scooter trunk on eBay and shipped it to SC. The buyer did not purchase insurance and I sent it off with Paypal. The buyer contacts me telling me that the box was damaged and that the lock on the trunk was busted out. So, I tell them thats not my fault considering it was wrapped in bubble wrap, it's USPS's fault but I told them to file a dispute with paypal to let them fight it out. Well, needless to say - Paypal stated that I was at fault for not purchasing insurance, even though they didn't pay for insurance. Paypal almost requires you to purchase tracking, insurance, and signature confirmation to be covered. I argued for hours, but I had to pay the people back.

I get the box back yesterday and the darn thing had been used! The hardware that I sent to put the trunk onto an actual scooter was in a completely different shape than before. The nuts on the screws and washers were laying in the bottom of the box, and not located on the screws as they were before. Now, I wanna know how the washers and nuts came off of the screws during shipping if this person received the product broken? It was obvious that the people couldnt figure out how to open the lock after they attached the trunk to the scooter. I called Paypal and filed an appeal, but nope - I was told I should have purchased insurance.

So now, I'm out of $40 and I have a broken scooter box thats worth $60 and now nothing. Thanks Paypal.

Last edited:
I was told the same thing... that since I didnt pay for insurance and or tracking on my own then I will have to pay them back.
I havent ever had this problem before and Ive been on eBay for over 9 years. BUT you will believe I will require people to pay for tracking from now on.

I personally think that if the buyer doesnt want to pay for tracking or insurance then they shouldnt be able to come back to the seller... it was their choice.
But thats just me.

Did you ship it with Paypal? If so, most of the time you're covered because there is tracking. If not, get a tracking number, always. On the other hand, if the package thats received is damaged, then the seller is at fault unless they purchased insurance.

I always ship with Paypal if possible, and just this week I had sold a scooter trunk on eBay and shipped it to SC. The buyer did not purchase insurance and I sent it off with Paypal. The buyer contacts me telling me that the box was damaged and that the lock on the trunk was busted out. So, I tell them thats not my fault considering it was wrapped in bubble wrap, it's USPS's fault but I told them to file a dispute with paypal to let them fight it out. Well, needless to say - Paypal stated that I was at fault for not purchasing insurance, even though they didn't pay for insurance. Paypal almost requires you to purchase tracking, insurance, and signature confirmation to be covered. I argued for hours, but I had to pay the people back.

I get the box back yesterday and the darn thing had been used! The hardware that I sent to put the trunk onto an actual scooter was in a completely different shape than before. The nuts on the screws and washers were laying in the bottom of the box, and not located on the screws as they were before. Now, I wanna know how the washers and nuts came off of the screws during shipping if this person received the product broken? It was obvious that the people couldnt figure out how to open the lock after they attached the trunk to the scooter. I called Paypal and filed an appeal, but nope - I was told I should have purchased insurance.

So now, I'm out of $40 and I have a broken scooter box thats worth $60 and now nothing. Thanks Paypal.

How long ago was it shipped? Sometime going through customs and things it can take quite a bit longer than normal. But on the other hand, the buyer only has so many days to file a dispute, so I can see why some buyers wouldn't want to wait forever.

Unfortunately having packages get lost is a part of being in business. If you're doing taxes (like anyone selling online should be), then at least you can write it off as a loss.

and btw, I really hope the customer isn't a member here, I'm sure they're not real happy about the situation either :(

Sorry...I messed up the editing and posted double. ;) See my next post. LOL>>>>

Last edited:
The seller is always responsible to get the item to the customer. They paid for it in good faith, and have a right to expect their item. Delivery confirmation, or a tracking number, and insurance are for the protection of the seller, not the buyer. If a buyer files a 'not received' complaint with Paypal, you must have ONLINE tracking showing delivery. Nothing else will be accepted, and paypal will always rule in their favor if you don't have it.

If you cannot afford to take the loss of the item and shipping costs, then you can do two things: build the cost of insurance/tracking into the price of the item, or require your buyer to purchase it. Usually, it's more customer friendly to build it into the price, and then you can note in the auction or ad that it is included.

Customs and international shipping can be tricky. You can't get tracking for items mailed through the PO; it stops at our border, except for some countries such as Great Britain. I'd have to check usps.com to be sure. Also, many items are restricted. Did you check to see if your item is on the restricted list for Spain? If it is, they won't let it in and customs will dispose of it.

UPS shipping automatically has tracking and $100 insurance at no extra cost. If you use the Post Office, shipping online gives you delivery confirmation for only 18 cents for first class and parcel; if you ship Priority, it is free. It's a small price to pay for your protection, and your buyers' peace of mind.

nah... they are from eBay.
I'm sure they arent happy either and I can understand their point of view of course just kinda sucks lol
(shiped about 3 weeks ago from CA to Spain)

How long ago was it shipped? Sometime going through customs and things it can take quite a bit longer than normal. But on the other hand, the buyer only has so many days to file a dispute, so I can see why some buyers wouldn't want to wait forever.

Unfortunately having packages get lost is a part of being in business. If you're doing taxes (like anyone selling online should be), then at least you can write it off as a loss.

and btw, I really hope the customer isn't a member here, I'm sure they're not real happy about the situation either :(

The money isnt a big deal. I was just venting. I refunded them the same day they filed a compaint.
I will in the future though fill in the insurance place where they have an option on ebay/paypal and have the buyer purchase tracking.

Good point about the customs. To be honest I wasnt really all that worried about shipping my items there since my roommate ships items all over the world but I guess they could have chosen to toss it during customs. Not sure what wouldnt have been allowed.

Anyways... live and learn.
Than choose not to ship international :p

The seller is always responsible to get the item to the customer. They paid for it in good faith, and have a right to expect their item. Delivery confirmation, or a tracking number, and insurance are for the protection of the seller, not the buyer. If a buyer files a 'not received' complaint with Paypal, you must have ONLINE tracking showing delivery. Nothing else will be accepted, and paypal will always rule in their favor if you don't have it.

If you cannot afford to take the loss of the item and shipping costs, then you can do two things: build the cost of insurance/tracking into the price of the item, or require your buyer to purchase it. Usually, it's more customer friendly to build it into the price, and then you can note in the auction or ad that it is included.

Customs and international shipping can be tricky. You can't get tracking for items mailed through the PO; it stops at our border, except for some countries such as Great Britain. I'd have to check usps.com to be sure. Also, many items are restricted. Did you check to see if your item is on the restricted list for Spain? If it is, they won't let it in and customs will dispose of it.

UPS shipping automatically has tracking and $100 insurance at no extra cost. If you use the Post Office, shipping online gives you delivery confirmation for only 18 cents for first class and parcel; if you ship Priority, it is free. It's a small price to pay for your protection, and your buyers' peace of mind.

Umm so I received an email today saying "oh!! i'm sorry I've got a mess with the numbers, i'm sorry I'm going to cancel sorry sorry!!it's not for you the claim sorry let me cancel this big mess!!! sorry"

I guess she didnt mean to place a claim... :hmm:

I think already sent her the money back though herm

Hopefully she sends your money back!

I sold a car radio to a guy that claimed it didn't work and got his money back. He sent it back and the thing had been absolutely fried and smelled of it. The idiot hooked it up wrong and killed the thing, and that was my fault. On top of it all he left me my only non-positive feedback on eBay.

I am so careful about selling as-is items. People will commonly buy it and not read the listing, and then freak out because the item didn't work. A friend of mine sold an older DSLR for parts or repair, listed in the title and three times in red in the listing, and the guy emailed in a rage because it wouldn't take photos :wacko:

Latest posts

Back