PANR question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaotictenshi

Proud Mama
I noticed on the website that there's 2 kinds of panr. one for show and one for breeding? Is that something you find in the stores and if so which one is better for my chins? ANND how do I transition the food over how many days and what % etc...

I have only found the one for show at the stores and have only fed that formula. I haven't fed it long, I'm on my first bag. My chins love it and are doing great, filling out and growing great.

I transitioned slowly I did a 75/25 (75% old food 25% PANR) for the first week or two than after that I did a 50/50 mix for another week or two and than moved on to a 25/75 mix until the bag of their old food was gone. It all depends on how your chins do on how quickly you can switch everything.

mine aren't in colored bags, just a clear bag with the PANR label and mill date on it.

PANR PRO vs PANR SHOW

PANR SHOW has acidophilus which is a bacteria that aids in digestion. I like that it has this bacteria, as not all of my chinchillas enjoy eating acidophilis in the pill/powder. It also has oils, which are good for making fur coats look better.

PANR Pro does not have acidophilus, nor does it have the oils. It instead is a higher-protein diet (by like 2%). This feed does have its uses. If you have a kit you have just separated from mother and it needs help putting the weight on, this would be a good feed. Also, for mothers that are expecting and/or lactating, this feed also helps them in both of those regards.

A high-protein diet however is not something you should continuously give your chinchilla. I believe it might lead to kidney problems (correct me if I'm wrong), so it's not good to always be feeding it to your animals. This is why most people will only bother with purchasing PANR Show. Using PANR Pro is not necessary, nor is it good as a long-term diet. (again, correct me if I'm wrong there plzkty)

When we have PANR Pro at the house, we mix it 50/50 with SHOW and give it to our kits and mothers. Both have served us well, and have caused our chinchillas to be fat, popcorny, and happy furballs. :clap1:

Last edited:
PANR SHOW has acidophilus which is a bacteria that aids in digestion. I like that it has this bacteria, as not all of my chinchillas enjoy eating acidophilis in the pill/powder. It also has oils, which are good for making fur coats look better.

PANR Pro does not have acidophilus, nor does it have the oils. It instead is a higher-protein diet (by like 2%). This feed does have its uses. If you have a kit you have just separated from mother and it needs help putting the weight on, this would be a good feed. Also, for mothers that are expecting and/or lactating, this feed also helps them in both of those regards.

A high-protein diet however is not something you should continuously give your chinchilla. I believe it might lead to kidney problems (correct me if I'm wrong), so it's not good to always be feeding it to your animals. This is why most people will only bother with purchasing PANR Show. Using PANR Pro is not necessary, nor is it good as a long-term diet. (again, correct me if I'm wrong there plzkty)

When we have PANR Pro at the house, we mix it 50/50 with SHOW and give it to our kits and mothers. Both have served us well, and have caused our chinchillas to be fat, popcorny, and happy furballs. :clap1:

Yes, this is correct. I use the PRO for one of my dental chins, as he needs to gain weight, and loves the taste of PANR, so we give him a 50/50 mix. I do believe the extra protein can cause problems, as can almost anything in excess.

Just thought I'd point out that PANR Pro actually has less protein than Mazuri. PANR Pro has 18% while Mazuri has 20%. It also has more fiber than Mazuri.

So, while I feed Show formula, I just thought to point out that I don't think if you fed the Pro it would hurt your chin. As it seems to be in between the Show Formula and Mazuri, and people feed Mazuri with no problems.

Latest posts

Back