Oxbow (in NE) will stop selling to the public as of 12/1/11

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandi

non-stop poop sweeper
I've been meaning to post this as an FYI to whoever calls Oxbow (Animal Health/Pet Products) directly to purchase their products that they will no longer sell to the public as of December 1st, 2011. They would not give me an explanation other than a list of online resalers if I wanted it.

Then if it was me, I would no longer buy Oxbow. Their retailers are ridiculously high.

Really? That is quite the bummer, I get my hay from them directly as to avoid shipping costs...

i wonder if the prices of Oxbow products in stores will reflect this new policy with higher pricing, since Oxbow is no longer making the additional direct sales to the public?

I'll definitely order up until Dec. 1st so that I could get their freshest pellets & best rates. I'll be sure to get a few bags on my last order. This way it gives me some time to locate/find a dealer near me or online with the best rates.

I do go back and forth sometimes but with me being so busy right now AND the boys doing really well on it, the last thing I want to do is change their feed. If I ever decide to change their feed and not sell oxbow, I'll make sure to give a ton of notice to everyone :)).

Sandi, will you still be able purchase it as usual?

No, after Dec. 1st, I have to purchase it retail, which stinks but I do have some prospects already that are not too bad, just a couple of dollars more than what I pay for now. The thing I want to make sure of is that I still can get recently milled bags for that price.

It's everything. I should clarify that they do take phone orders right now from anyone that wants to purchase over 50 lbs. of product, whether it be feed or hay, etc.

So could I buy 50 lbs still? I usually get that already by calling them then picking it up, and then I function as a small supplier for a few chin owners in the area I am close to so that they don't have to pay the pet store prices for hay.

Sandi can you register as a dealer? Hubbard feeds( tradition) in pa stopped selling to individuals as well. I was able to get around it by becoming a dealer. I do need to order it by the ton though. I normally just split my order with a local breeder.

Hay is cheaper through F&S for me too, a 50 pound bag of food is about $5 more though when shipping is considered.

So could I buy 50 lbs still? I usually get that already by calling them then picking it up, and then I function as a small supplier for a few chin owners in the area I am close to so that they don't have to pay the pet store prices for hay.

You can up until December 1st. After that date, they will no longer sell to individuals over the phone and they stopped taking online orders over 3 years ago. I don't know about walk-ins, you should contact them to see if they will sell to you after December 1st.

Sandi can you register as a dealer? Hubbard feeds( tradition) in pa stopped selling to individuals as well. I was able to get around it by becoming a dealer. I do need to order it by the ton though. I normally just split my order with a local breeder.

When I talked to the QCM, he said it's only distributors that they are going to sell to.

Hay is cheaper through F&S for me too, a 50 pound bag of food is about $5 more though when shipping is considered.

For me, the total cost with shipping was 25% less than F&S. I only ordered the pellets.

ETA: Another reason why I ordered through Oxbow direct was because I could talk to them and tell them that I wanted the most current milled bag and 9 times out of 10 I would get a bag that was milled within 3 weeks of receiving it.

Last edited:
I have a vendors license and purchase several 50lb boxes of Oxbow loose timothy hay at a time from a wholesaler, Wolverton, in New Brunswick, Ohio. It's a 3 hour drive, but it saves me shipping costs.

Ruby, since you stop there and get it just call them, they probably won't mind. I think they're probably trying to get out of shipping small private orders.

Also check TSC, they carry Standley timothy and tim/alfalfa mix usually. It's about $15 for a super compressed bale, very good hay. I've always been happy with it and it's a ton cheaper than Oxbow. I can get it year round with no problems. I'm giving the tim/alfalfa mix a try right now, especially for my mom's with babies. Not as impressed with it as the regular time on this first bale, but it's still pretty good. Not a ton of alfalfa in it, but a little bit for that extra boost. :D

Oh, and just ask them, often they keep it in the back because it comes on a pallet. I accidentally stumbled upon them having it one day while I was there.

Standlee has a search for distributors on their website, and any of them should be able to order you straight timothy.

I had no idea the feed store we buy our food at was a Standlee distributor - the chins seem to be liking it, and it's cheaper than oxbow (even with my vet student discount).

Mine keeps the timothy in the back as it is not bagged like the other kinds, so I would ask, if they don't carry it on hand, they should be able to order it for you. And mine bag it for me since it's not so I dont' get hay all over my car if that's what I'm picking it up in!

Back