OH NO...Triplets....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pookinaround

FUZZ BUTT ENTHUSIAST
I go to Shindig and I sit next to Juanita and now I have a litter of trips just 2 days later! JUANITA IS CONTAGIOUS!!!! LOL Violet male 48g and 2 standard v/c females 42g and 40g.

If I do need to foster one I do have 3 other mamas. 2 have kits about 4 weeks old and the other's is about 3 weeks old. Is that too much of an age gap????

Mama of the trips is a first time mama so I am not sure how she will be. Any thoughts???

Why would you need to foster? If I ever need to foster I like to put the foster on a momma I wean kits off of, like a switch-a-roo.

I would not put newborn kits in with others that are a couple weeks older. What I do if I see a litter needs help is hang a bottle of fresh goats milk (I get it from the store) on the cage. Then several times a day I show the kits how to drink from it. I have had alot of luck raising quads this way. Eventually (in a couple days) they learn how to drink from that bottle.

Cool thanks I was just wondering what to do worst case scenario...I was curious if I would be able to use the other moms or not.

I go to Shindig and I sit next to Juanita and now I have a litter of trips just 2 days later! JUANITA IS CONTAGIOUS!!!! /QUOTE]

Oooohhh - I am gonna be SOOOOO popular! :)

Congratulations on your first set of trips! Should be a nice learning opportunity for you!

The only time I had triplets they started fighting very early. I'd take one out, feed it, keep it for a couple hours, then put it back and do the same with another one, always trying to keep the smallest one with the mom the longest.

I have had many many litters of triplets and never has a issue, knocks on wood. If thy are nursing and not loosing wieght I wouldn't even bother to foster. Triplets aren't that bad as long as you monitor them.

Whew that's a relief....I was a bit worried. The others all are raising singles and I guess I got a little spooked that they might be too much for her. Thanks guys!!! They seem to be getting along fine so far...

Last edited:
Make a note to inspect the kits ears/feet/necks for any suspected fights. Any noticed facial blood is a sure sign of fighting. When they do fight they are quite nasty to one another. Weigh daily to make sure there is enough milk to go around.

Should you have to rotate, be sure to keep kits warm when away from mom. Good luck!

I know I am a slacker but I hope this makes up for it!!!

I am proud to introduce the Wonder Pets!!! Born 8/6/12. As of 8/19/12: Lynnie 84g, Tuck 86g and Ming-Ming too 72g. For some strange reason I can't get that blasted song out of my head... :tease:

Attachments

• WONDERPETS.jpg
    WONDERPETS.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 58
  • WONDERPETS2.jpg
    WONDERPETS2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 54
gorgeous lil babies! and if my kiddo knew you named them after the wonder pets, she'd never stop begging me to bring them home, lol!

Thanks! I have a 4 year old too so go figure how I came up with that one LOL...That song just gets into your head and WILL NOT go away for some weird reason....

hahaha love them and their names!

We're not too big
And we're not too tough
But when we work together
We've got the right stuff
Go Wonder Pets, ya'ay

Back