Offered some different hours, what do you think?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurie

I heart Leonard
Currently I'm working 3rd shift Monday through Friday 11pm til 7:30 am. I love being able to work 8 hour days because coming from the banking world I often worked 10-12 hour days on my feet.
Today both my boss and supervisor came to me and told me what a fabulous job I've been doing lately. We have a member out due to heart surgery so I've been working alone for these past 2 weeks. Anyway they offered me a different shift--3 13 hour days instead of 5 8 hour days.
One week it would be Wed,Thu,Fri 6:30pm til 7:30 am
the following week Thu,Fri,Sat 6:30pm til 7:30 am

What do ya'll think? 4 days off in a row sounds really nice. But is a 13 hour day just WAY too much? My job is sitting, so no standing for long periods.

What worries me is this, right now if I don't sleep well during the day I sleep again from 8-10 before going in. In this scenario I wouldn't be able to do that.

What's great about it, I would be able to help my family ALOT more in caring for my terminally ill sister.

This isn't a promotion for me at work, just a kudos from the boss and getting a shift with more responsibility which they believe I can handle!

So what would you do?

13 hour days sound way too long to me. That leaves 11 hours off, and since you are sleeping in the daytime you will probably only get about 4-6 hours sleep. And you will still be involved with Lisa even on your working days. I have been out of a (graveyard) job for 8 months and my sleeping is still screwed up.
I think you should ask about getting a day or swing shift.

Can you ask if it's possible for you to temporarily try the new shift? If they can agree to let you go back to your old shift if it doesn't work out that would be great, although I don't know if they would frown upon something like that. Also what I was thinking is that maybe its a *sign* (sorry, I'm into signs so I just feel like this might be one) coming from somewhere so that you could spend more time with your sister. IDK, I think I would do it just to get the 3 days over with and have 4 days off.

Can you ask if it's possible for you to temporarily try the new shift? If they can agree to let you go back to your old shift if it doesn't work out that would be great, although I don't know if they would frown upon something like that. Also what I was thinking is that maybe its a *sign* (sorry, I'm into signs so I just feel like this might be one) coming from somewhere so that you could spend more time with your sister. IDK, I think I would do it just to get the 3 days over with and have 4 days off.

I agree with this Laurie. Trying it out sounds like a great idea...and listen to your heart...that usually tells you the right thing to do. But do it for you Laurie.

I'd ask to try a month before making a final decision - it could be harder than you think!

My boyfriend worked one week on one week off, and did anywhere from 15 hours to 5 hours a day in one week, and he loved it.

I would do it, at least for now. The most important reason being is you get more time with Lisa and helping her. That is whats important right now. You could always go back to your normal schedule later, but you will never get back the time you lost with Lisa. jmo

I personally would like the idea, but maybe that's just me. I can't stand having to work 8-10 hrs a day, 5 days a week. I'd much rather work 3, 13 hr shifts any day. I normally only get 4-6 hrs of sleep each night any way, but I can never get anything done on the weekends, I'd like to have time off on a weekday also. I've had a hard time adjusting to the fact that I can't go out to movies, I don't have any free time to myself or any life with the hrs I'm working (3pm-11pm or 3pm-1am), but with a few days off, I feel like I'd be refreshed, or have some time to myself at least.

Just figured it out and one week will be 5 days off without working one week will be like 4 nights off without working--now that's a good deal! I talked with the other operator who works 3 13 hour days and she loves it. The bottom line is I still won't have to use an alarm to wake up. Also it's not really a change. On the days I come in at 6:30 it will just mean I'm not in chat that day LOL! I would normally be up then sitting around, so why not sit around at work.
And the final pluses I would be working with both Matt and Bruce who I like real much and when they heard I was asked to take the shift they both were very happy, so that's a nice compliment for me. I normally never work with Matt and work with Bruce everynight for 30 minutes.
And anything, ANYTHING I can do more of for Lisa is what matters most right now.

I think that is the right decision Laurie. It sounds great, and like there are lots of benefits to the move, and you should feel great that these guys want to work with you! (Are either of them cute ;-)?)

I work a rotating shift that involves getting 3-4 days off in a row. We work 9.5 hr days, but it is not unusual for them to be longer (12+ hrs), and it is not a desk job. I love having 3-4 days off in a row. When working 8 hr days you still have to factor in travel time, and how much time do you really have once you eat/quick clean up etc... to spend with family - in my case my son. In the winter we work "normal" hours, and basically I am home in time for dinner, an hr or so and bed time, not really any time for anything super fun like going to the park.

On days that I work super long I don't see my son much, I usually eat with him, and give him his bath at night, and I bring him to daycare in the morning. Then I get 3-4 days off in a row, even if I take 1 of those days for house work I still have 2-3 days to do something like go to the park, museum, zoo, when he's older a quick camping trip etc... I really think there are benefits to this type of shift. The catch is the commute time, my truck is my office, so as soon as I am in my driveway I am working. Now, if I had a 2 hr commute then my opinion would probably be different.

Yeah, and don't forget your chances of being eaten by a werewolf go way down. No self respecting werewolf would be hunting in the woods at 6pm or 8am.

hi Laurie! That's kind of what I work. I usually work 3 12s and 4 hour shift or occasionally 2 12s and 2 8s. So I get 3 days off a week and I love it. Good choice and I hope it works out for you! :)

I didn't post in here (I think) because my knowledge of the working world extends to corralling Jr. Jews for two hours every Sunday. I hope you're happy with your new shift, though!

Yeah, and don't forget your chances of being eaten by a werewolf go way down. No self respecting werewolf would be hunting in the woods at 6pm or 8am.

Ah, excellent observation. One I believe is critical in Laurie's decision on this. :hilarious:

Laurie, I think you'll like it. I would love to work longer hours per day and have more days off. Best of luck.

OMG I totally forgot about the werewolve thing! AWESOME observation Theresa! And another thing, except for winter, no more leaving for work in the dead of night! Plus I'll be saving gas working 3 nights instead of 5! More money for books!!!!

Latest posts

Back