not sure where to place this question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheltiefan

Chi chi is acting not right today. I had friends over today to swim and usually when people come to my room she bouces around and wants to see what people are doing because she is nosey. But today she has just been laying in the corner of her cage.
I took her out for a little today and she played
But now its 1am she has moved from the bottom of the cage to the top to her tunnel but she is sleeping. Usually at this time she is making so much noise with her wheel. and jumping around.
what could be wrong with her
I haven't seen her drink but i have been in and out all day.
she is pooping

If she is too hot she may be sleeping on her side on the cage bottom. You need to make sure she is eating, drinking and pooping. Lethargy in chins is not a good sign and needs vet intervention asap. If she is truly lethargic and not moving at all then a trip to the vet is needed. It's possible she is just worn out and tired and not as active tonight. You need to monitor her and make sure she's eating and drinking if not again a trip to the vet is necessary

Put a piece of tape or a line with an erasable marker on the side of her bottle at the level of the water. If it goes down, she's drinking. I'd also measure or weigh her pellets and then re-weigh after she's had some time to eat.

If you don't already have one, get a combination thermometer/hygrometer. I got one from Walmart or K-mart for less than $10. This one: http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=r12-TdTTKMi3tgf2xPDbBQ&ved=0CDkQ8gIwAg# That will make it much easier to figure out whether she's too hot or not. In the mean time, though, if she doesn't already have a chinchiller, I'd get a marble tile or take a regular ceramic tile and stick it in the fridge for a while before you give it to her. At this time of year a heat-related change in behavior is common, but it means you may need to turn the thermostat down.

Watch for signs of bloat: the stretching, lying on the side, sitting hunched up ears forward like airplane wings, sleeping in a odd spot, teeth grindning, not eating or drinking, lethargic.

the temp right now is 70. She woke up some last night and went in her tunnel but she is back in the corner this morning. It looks like she ate but not drink. Any one in Jacksonville Fl that know a vet that isn't expesive? Right now i am neg. in my bank.

Dr. Hart at Hidden Hills Animal Hospital. He doesn't charge extra for it being an exotic animal. The visit is the same cost whether it is a dog, cat, chin, squirrel, etc. He is also the most experienced rodent vet within a 150 mil radius of Jacksonville, FL.

Hidden Hills Animal Hospital

12134 Fort Caroline Road
Jacksonville, FL 32225-1613
(904) 641-3384

Edit: They also sell critical care in the office if it is needed (in my opinion it's something you should always have on hand anyway), though they don't have feeding syringes. If you go into any walgreens, target pharmacy, cvs, etc and ask for a 5ml syringe they will usually give you a few at no charge. It isn't the perfect size, but easily accessible and will work until you are able to get a larger one.

Last edited:
Called Hidden Hills to see if Dr. Hart is there today, and he is. He doesn't have any appointments open this morning (he is doing surgeries), but does have openings from 2:20pm-4pm.

i just called. they are all out of crital care right now. Its 50 just to see her. So i am gonna see about trying to get the money since i am flat broke. Maybe see my gold necklace or something

That's only because it's your first visit. It's a new patient visit. After that it goes down to $34 for a visit.

I can give you some CC if needed. I have some at my house, but I don't get off work until 3pm. The Exotic Bird Hospital on Kings Rd. also carries it.

How is she doing?

I have some CC left over from my chinchilla I'd be more than happy to get to you, but I'm in Colorado. It wouldn't be until later this week that you'd get it if I mailed it to you. Let me know if you need it though and I could send it to you.

Thanks-Chin2heart your real sweet. Im gonna barrow some crysta.

Crysta- She is still acting the same. I took her out and petted her and she just kinda sat in my arms which isnt really like her she usually wants to play. But she did perk up alittle. I gave her some water by hand and she took a few sips. I emailed you also. You have my number. I got to go pick up my kids. But please call me if i can swing by.

I'm at work so I can't call you, but I do have access to the internet. You are welcome to swing by. I will be home about 3:40.

Latest posts

Back