Not eating - unknown cause.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kay

Started last night, in about 1 hour, Chloe the chinchilla suddenly stopped eating and seemed "off." She was a bit lethargic and would not even take treats. I rushed her to Alameda East to get Critical Care, Reglan, and Metacam. They seemed to mostly be reading from a book and told me to give her apples and other fruit, so I decided not to do an xray and get her in the next morning at my normal exotics vet.

My awesome vet Dr. Esposito (Aurora Animal Hospital for those in CO) said her belly was a little bit hard, and there was a definite lack of sound, but she felt no obstruction. She is pooping normal poos here and there, she just won't eat. I've been through the bloat/stasis nightmare in the past with another chinchilla, but Chloe is far more alert than that.

Chloe was a foster I had from August 09-January, then got her back a week ago when the person had to move. I would think stress just made her stop eating, but she adapted very quickly both times, and while she was skittish the first few days, settled down quickly and began eating and behaving normally until last night. Her age is unknown. She is in quarantine from the other chinchillas, who seem fine. Her eyes are squinty but she moves around with energy but an odd hesitation in her haunches.

I believe her to be between 3 and 5 years old.

She is on metacam, reglan, critical care, and simethicone in all the doses recommended on here and by my vet. She is HORRIBLE to hand feed, I have to force it and the entire thing is torture. She's slipped a huge amount of fur and never stops fighting me with all her strength. If this is just a stress or a minor upset thing, it seems like all the hand feeding is making it worse, but has to be done to keep food moving through her. If she does not improve by Monday we'll be doing an X-ray. Dr. Esposito did not feel that would change treatment at this time and she is excellent at palpating masses or blockages and did not feel any.

She eats oxbow and American Pet Diner hay. Before coming here she was eating Oxbow, so there was no diet change. I believe they fed her raisins very rarely, but I don't feed any of that. Just a half a strawberry acidophilus daily. She did get a new hanging toy http://www.bunnybunchboutique.com/Multi Chew.JPG , which she demolished very rapidly shortly before she became ill. I don't think she ate any of it, as it is littering her cage. But it is interesting timing.

Open to any suggestions of more I could be doing. I'm keeping her in her cage she's had her entire life with some fleece blankets and dark and quiet.

Like all those who have gone through this, I'm a tired mess from the hourly feedings and worry. Critical care just smells like death to me. I've never had an animal live who was on it, but I've also never had one stay stable this long despite not eating.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are doing all that you can and that you acted very quickly. Did you have her teeth checked (x-rayed) as a possible cause for the not eating? I know it is recommended to have the chinchilla run around a little more to get things moving (though she doesn't sound completely blocked) and with the hand feedings do tummy massage. I wish you and Chloe all the best, I hope she pulls through this.

She looked at the teeth with a scope, but no x-rays were done due to the extreme sudden onset of this. However, I have no way of knowing what she weighed before coming to me 1 week ago, or what is normal eating for her. So yeah, it's x-ray time tomorrow if she has not dramatically improved.

She moves around in her cage quite a bit, just not as much as normal. I have been doing the massaging after the simethicone, but she is the most difficult to handle critter I have ever encountered.

I burrito her, she fights like I'm killing her to either squirt out the end of the burrito or shrink down inside it. I have to hold it so tight I feel like I might choke her. The pressure is more on the back of her neck, and she swallows fine, but I still feel like a torturer.

She had things to chew in the cage, but not a lot. I wonder if it could be a tooth thing, and chewing up that new hanging toy so rapidly upset them. Or maybe she has a sore in her mouth we are missing. I've never seen a chin down a toy as fast as she did the one I linked. I can't help but think that is involved somehow or another.

I can't do this anymore, she's so hard to feed. She's slipped MOST of her hair fighting me, she has huge bald spots.

She's so traumatized from the feedings, I don't think she can recover from whatever it is.

Vet again tomorrow at 11:00am. I doubt we'll find anything out.

The struggling is actually a good sign because it means that she has the energy to fight. You really should keep handfeeding her...if she has a digestive issue, she needs to keep being fed.

It could be some type of infection or something else that is making her feel bad. There are so many reasons why chins stop eating. The simethicone and reglan are definitely good things to be giving her. You want her to keep producing droppings. It's important to keep her blood sugar up at this point.

The fur will grow back, don't worry about that. I hope that they can figure out what to do to treat this girl.

I'd rather stay negative! :p

I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing, it's just so frustrating. She's so traumatized. Honestly, so am I.

Kay, been there with the trauma of handfeeding. I have had Chilli actually draw blood trying to escape, little booger. Now, he comes to the cage door and gets his food. To make it more interesting for him, I take a raisin, split it in half and rub the syringe tip in it. Not giving him the raisin, just a bit of the flavor so he wants the syringe. He will eat between 15-25 CCs in one sitting all by himself, and when he is full, he walks away. Maybe try the raisin.

Define suddenly please. Some days I'll go out and a chin might have barely touched it's feed, the next it's completely gone.

Are you measuring her food to see if she's eating? Did you try offering CC on a spoon if she's not?

Define suddenly: Over the course of 1 hour she became lethargic and would not take supplement, acidophilus, and would barely move. Her eyes were squinted almost shut.

I am measuring her food and weighing her.

I've offered CC on a spoon, including the flavored kind. I've left it in various degrees of hydration in her cage to entice her.

Updates: Got dental and full body x-rays yesterday. They will be up on VIN tomorrow if anyone happens to have a login. Dental looked fine. Her mouth looked fine. She is gassy but not extreme stasis or anything.

She is now picking at food. Energy level in the cage is still low and she has lost a little weight.

The plan is to leave her alone except for a daily feeding, daily meds, and a weight check.

Maybe have them check the body ray for kidney or gall bladder stones, one of them shifting through could cause the pain, causing all of the symptoms she has, and in the sudden amount of time.

I'm too lazy to look at the previous page, did you say she was on metacam? If so I'd half dose her if she doesn't seem to be in pain, I think pain meds and antib's are over used and only end up causing problems. To some extent, animals, and people need the pain. Our bodies feel pain for a reason, it tells us things. For example, "Frank" is good at taking tons of OTC pain meds like tylenol, he kills the pain, and continues to do what he does even though he's sore or hurt he can't feels the pain, and he ends up making it all worse and has to rest longer for it too heal.

Sometimes pain meds are useful, as are antib's, but anymore they're way over used. Was just taking about this today with one of professional med folk, my chiro. Just not about chins, lol

She seems a bit better today. Ate a bit, seems brighter and more energetic. What a relief.

To make it more interesting for him, I take a raisin, split it in half and rub the syringe tip in it. Not giving him the raisin, just a bit of the flavor so he wants the syringe. He will eat between 15-25 CCs in one sitting all by himself, and when he is full, he walks away. Maybe try the raisin.
This tip helped me so much today when i had to feed my little guy some meds for his tummy
Thanks =]

And Im really glad to hear shes doing better i hate to hear of a sick chin :(
I hope things continue to improve best wishes from me

She is pigging out now, all her energy back.

Poor thing, I hope she grows her hair back fast!

Wanted to update that Chloe is eating. Now she has a cut on her whisker area I applied blue-kote to and am watching closely.

Personally, I've been having seizures and have been in the ER 3 times in the last week so it's a lot to keep up with. She remains well taken care of, but it's hard. I also just found a stray kitten dumped in the parking lot of the local pretentious mall (Park Meadows, for those in the Denver, CO area). She has a URI that doesn't seem to be getting better.

Sorry I got a bit off topic.

Back