Newbies Breeding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no way to evaluate your chins using the pictures of your chins provided. They show only their faces which are not relevant when showing chinchillas. They need to be seen under show lights and show conditions. While they are "cute pets", no one can make comments as to their quality for breeding purposes.

There has to be a "standard" to try to achieve. There needs to be a goal that everyone strives for or the animals will go to heck in a hand basket. I as of late have just not been involving myself in debates like this and have been trying to have the live and let live attitude. But that being said there have been some people here either breeding or planning on breeding that do things that would be cruel to do to a pet rock. So those people can be very very frustrating and they always say "well I am breeding for personality"

My dalmation has a great personality...She is deaf, going blind and has had bad hips since she was 3..but that is ok cause her breeder was breeding for cute puppies with good personality :sarcasm: Where will we be without standards. And my other favorite he/she is breedable cause I have a pedigree. again my dal has a pedigree it aint worth the paper it was written on. Pedigrees mean nothing if the quality isn't there.

You see the same comments day in and day out you get frustraited and honestly people aren't as friendly as they try to come off. In showing you have good shows and bad shows, I have bred color champions and I have bred duds. if your animals do badly you re-pair them. you will have good and bad years in breeding depending on how you pair. and how your water/food/environment is I have huge animals in breeding here I had water issues and had a show season on too small animals...A good breeder always strives to learn more and improve,

It seems people ( I know I have been guilty of it too) forget they do not know it all and there is always room to improve. It doesn't matter how good you did last year or the year before it is how you are doing now. I have done very poorly the last 2 years where before that I was getting 1st and col,or champs etc with my animals...so I have been re-doing my breeding plans and it will probably be another year until I am back where I want to be.

I don;t think new breeders think of that, it is hurry hurry babies now. If you think about it a bad pairing has kits...you keep one to show, while that one is growing they have another litter. That one grows you show it and realize..oh I made a mistake..but now it will be 6-7 months after you re-pair and 7-12 months before you show those kits to see if you do better.

Quality doesn't happen overnight. And all chinchillas are cute...just cause their cute doesn't mean they should be bred. I have a cage full of cute at my mom's house...all females so they won't get bred.

Tabitha, every one of us breeders have raised a pet quality malo chin at some point whether we realize it or it shows up later regardless of how diligent with our pedigrees or educated we are with chinchilla breeding. I'm not the advocate for the irresposible chinchilla breeders out there. I get as frustrated with some new breeders I've tried to help as the rest of you do. I haven't started very many new breeders through the internet or this forum, but I have always made myself available and responded in a respectful way to the ones that have contacted me. I've started enough people in chinchillas over the last 20 years, that I've experienced all outcomes. You can't help and guide everyone, some are beyond help, I agree with that. I've experienced it. But, I've also experienced someone really being persistant and achieving their goals in raising chinchillas that I started or assisted them in and that is very rewarding for me. Not every "newbie" is destined to fail and shouldn't all be told and treated that way.

But those of us that are responsible will not throw two malo, pet quality chinchillas together to breed more of them. Yes, even the best of herds will produce malo or pet quality animals without meaning to but we would never do so deliberately. If someone is persistent I do try to help them. I am talking about not encouraging those that are determined to breed animals that have genetic issues that make them unworthy of being bred. You CAN draw the line at some point for what people should and should not be breeding. A Ghandian approach to every new breeder is just not possible for some of us.

I started out the wrong way, like Tiffany. When I went to my first show, only a few ranchers would even give me the time of day. Somavia laughed at the thought of a "kid" buying an animal from him because he doesn't sell "pets". I was ignored completely by more than a few breeders in here until my name started appearing more frequently when the winners are announced for shows. Everyone starts somewhere, but when you are given the tools to start right and not go through trial and error you should take those tools and use them. I've seen enough breeders actually take advice and become better in a shorter amount of time for it that I know it is not an impossibility.

While different judges may have different qualities that they favor over others, the fact is that their ARE standards for quality. When you start losing out placings to what the judges favor more is when you get above 1st place.

I cannot in good conscience support, condone, and least of all encourage someone breeding animals against the standards set by an organization overseeing that animal - this goes for dogs (AKC), cats (CFA), horses, chins, anything. It flies in the face of the decades of work spent improving the animals for their intended purpose and contributes nothing toward their betterment, just to the overpopulation of a saturated pet market.

I right there with ya sister. Now I am going to go back to eating my popcorn and reading!!

I cannot in good conscience support, condone, and least of all encourage someone breeding animals against the standards set by an organization overseeing that animal - this goes for dogs (AKC), cats (CFA), horses, chins, anything. It flies in the face of the decades of work spent improving the animals for their intended purpose and contributes nothing toward their betterment, just to the overpopulation of a saturated pet market.

Hmm, I've been following the debate with interest as someone who is interested in maybe breeding chins one day, and I actually have to disagree with that. I think it's different for chins (although I was worried when I read on the chinchillas.com website that extremely brevi chins are more likely to malocclude, I like a more moderate head shape myself), but I'm sure a lot of people are aware of the health problems in pedigree dogs purely due to the way they're bred, overly short muzzles leading to breathing difficulties, 'banana backs' in GSDs, the head being too small in King Charles Cavaliers contributing to the high incidence of syringomyelia in the breed, etc.
I've had Siamese cats my whole life, and attended cat shows as an interested pet owner. Over the years, I've seen the breed, what is, to me, nearly ruined by some show breeders, which is really pretty heartbreaking as someone who loves Siamese. You can see the difference between the traditional and modern Siamese on the Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siamese_(cat)
though the modern cat shown is actually still pretty moderate, some more extreme examples are here, I've seen an awful lot of cats like this:
http://chinkisiamese.com/SIAMESE_CATS_PHOTOS.HTM
The traditional Siamese are the healthier, the modern having more issues, it isn't purely on looks, but even if it was I think the traditional Siamese were worth saving. There's been essentially a split in the breed as those winning at shows became more and more extreme, different breeders either going along with that, or maintaining the old type, and I expect eventually the traditional Siamese will be recognised and shown as a different breed (which annoys me as I feel it should be the other way round, but there you go). In this case, if some breeders had not deliberately gone against what was wanted on the show bench, meaning they had to accept they weren't going to win ribbons and just breed to what their idea of a Siamese should be, there would be no traditional Siamese left (and a lot of pet owners, like me, actually prefer them).

As I say, it's not really like that with chins, even if I personally happen to like them a just a little wedgy, more lanigera type (I know, it's not what is required, I just think they're daintier and more elegant) I don't have any particular reason to breed them that way I guess. Still, I've seen for myself that occasionally ignoring show standards may actually be best for the animal in other species.

I think there is a tendency to overdue it a bit when breeding for physical appearance. This has most often been seen in the dog and cat world where you have a great variety of animals that were bred for short legs, flat faces, giant size, etc that have all sorts of health problems because of it. I'm not a fan of the kennel clubs and some of their atrocious breed standards that clearly do not benefit the animals health and do not maintain the traits for which the breed was originally bred (like working ability), but I won't get into that here. (For those who are interested, here is where the 'breed standards' have gotten some breeds of dogs: http://www.myspace.com/video/bordercollie19/documentary-bbc-pedigree-dogs-exposed/44215931)

Personally I do not consider breeding for show quality to be 'improving the species.' Having great fur quality and nice confirmation does nothing for the animal. That's all for OUR benefit and everyone has their own opinion on what look is better, which traits are more important.The health of the animal should be the #1 concern. To me, breeding hardy chins that will live long healthy lives is the only way to truly improve the species. The rest is just for us silly humans that like pretty animals. There's nothing wrong with that as long we don't compromise the health of the animal to achieve our goals.

In order for shows to work, everyone has to be breeding towards similar goals. This is ok, but we just have to be careful not to follow trends that may lead to problems (like the desire for shorter, rounder heads...this is ok to an extent, but is likely to accompanied by health problems if bred to the extreme).

Good points. I don't think show quality requirements are based on what is healthiest for the chinchillas. It is my understanding that show quality was based on what would make a good fur pelt, that chins have been bred to be larger because that would make a larger fur pelt, which has nothing to do with them being healthier.

We all as chinchilla breeders have different ideals and focus for our breeding programs. I do not breed for colorful pet quality as one of my breeder friends does. I do not breed for top pelt qualities as Gary Neubauer does. I do not focus my breeding program towards top mutation show animals like Wendy Torguson does. I breed for top standard show animals. We all have different reasons why we want to breed chinchillas with different goals we want to achieve. Do I have the right to tell any of these other breeders their wrong because they don't breed for the same reasons or focus that I do? No, it's there decision what they want to breed their chins for. They are all responsible breeders that care for their animals well and strive to produce healthy animals. I would never support or condone anyone that did not take proper care of their chins, that knowingly bred animals with genetic issues, that only cared about making $ at the expense of their animals health. I have seen this with a few breeders I tried to initially help and yes they lied to me and I helped them till I realized what was really going on. Will those type of people always pop up occasionally and manipulate the respectable breeder that helps them? Yes, and that is very frustrating to all of us. But, there will also always be new breeders come along that may have different ideas of breeding goals for their chins, but will be responsible breeders and take good care of their animals. These are the ones that need good advice and help to become educated on breeding chins for their specific goals. They shouldn't be discriminated against or belittled just because they might have a different focus and goals they want to achieve in breeding chins then what you or I have.

thinking about some of the dog comments about breeding for different physical characteristics....So then where would dwarves, angoras etc. fit in with the idea of quality breeding? Clearly in the attempts to produce these chins there will be chins that are not normal in the sense of a traditional chin, (possibly ugly, small, and unable to perform well in shows) and a limited gene pool to work with. So if these attempts produce poor quality chins that aren't quite dwarves or arent quite angoras, is that considered acceptable? (Just taking this discussion a different way, no plans for any of this personally!)

I don't know about the health of the angora chinchillas, but Mary Holden from Quest Haven Pets bred dwarf chinchillas for many years and said she saw alot more rectal prolaspe with them.

We all as chinchilla breeders have different ideals and focus for our breeding programs. I do not breed for colorful pet quality as one of my breeder friends does. I do not breed for top pelt qualities as Gary Neubauer does. I do not focus my breeding program towards top mutation show animals like Wendy Torguson does. I breed for top standard show animals. We all have different reasons why we want to breed chinchillas with different goals we want to achieve. Do I have the right to tell any of these other breeders their wrong because they don't breed for the same reasons or focus that I do? No, it's there decision what they want to breed their chins for. They are all responsible breeders that care for their animals well and strive to produce healthy animals. I would never support or condone anyone that did not take proper care of their chins, that knowingly bred animals with genetic issues, that only cared about making $ at the expense of their animals health. I have seen this with a few breeders I tried to initially help and yes they lied to me and I helped them till I realized what was really going on. Will those type of people always pop up occasionally and manipulate the respectable breeder that helps them? Yes, and that is very frustrating to all of us. But, there will also always be new breeders come along that may have different ideas of breeding goals for their chins, but will be responsible breeders and take good care of their animals. These are the ones that need good advice and help to become educated on breeding chins for their specific goals. They shouldn't be discriminated against or belittled just because they might have a different focus and goals they want to achieve in breeding chins then what you or I have.

And those breeders, if you actually READ the forums and follow the threads in ALL the sections, those breeders are left alone, answers are given and there is no issue. If you actually read ALL the sections, not just the breeding and showing sections, you will see the breeders or "breaders" as we refer to them have stories up the wazoo, its not just because they want to breed or are breeding, its the "back story" that tells the whole story. The poor care, lack of vet care, hoarding and dumping chinchillas, lack of food, breeding the rescues and pet store chins, taking in CL chins and OMG OMG the 10 I took in are ALL pregnant, the lies about necropsies, asked questions OVER AND OVER and no answers given, be on the forum for more than a couple of months like ALOT of us are and you see it over and over again, I have been on the forums for 11 years, since the first couple of months when CNQ started and you can just tell who is going to be fine and who is not.

I think we are all in agreement we don't support irresponsible, greedy, cruel, or inhumane breeders or pet owners. It's pretty easy to tell who comes on here and will be an asset to the community and who comes on here to clean up continuous, avoidable messes and ignores prudent advice. As they say, the cream always rises to the top and you can't stop people from doing what they want to do anyway right or wrong.

So then where would dwarves, angoras etc. fit in with the idea of quality breeding?
They don't, they are for profit. All breeds have those out for profit and those out for the better of the breed with a spattering of "oh, they're so CUTE" breeders.

(although I was worried when I read on the chinchillas.com website that extremely brevi chins are more likely to malocclude
Good example of different lines/strains of chinchillas. I've never run into this as it has been the opposite in the Pacific Northwest with the narrower jawline having the tendency to malocclude.

Never saw a correlation between size of chin and malo. I have seen maxillary to mandible irregularities that cause issues, which is genetic.

I think the biggest problem is there is no "black and white" when it comes to breeding. There is very much a grey area.

Most so called "good breeders" have one ultimate goal: To do well at show, while producing healthy animals. It then breaks down. Some want to do well with standards, others common mutations, others rarer mutations. Some breeders may want a long furred animal. Some people may want a tight furred animal. With any breeding program, everyone will have similar goals, yet different goals. However, I do not think this is the point of the debate thread.

I think, the point of this thread, are the breeders who sit here and throw anything and everything together. They have no other reason to breed but to make "cute babies" or "experience the birthing of chins". Which if they don't have goals set in place, if they don't attend the shows and compete, don't take a concern for the overall health... What is the point of breeding? There are enough chinchillas sitting in rescues, shelters, and on craigslist. Give them a good home. There are enough babies being born because they've been missexed at petstores.. We don't need anymore "cute" "pet" chinchillas.

And there's no reason a well-bred, show quality chinchilla can't be cute, be a pet and have a good personality. Some people act like they are mutually exclusive.

Good example of different lines/strains of chinchillas. I've never run into this as it has been the opposite in the Pacific Northwest with the narrower jawline having the tendency to malocclude.

Ah, interesting, I wondered if it might be a different lines thing, definitely the sort of thing breeders need to watch out for, I guess. :))

thinking about some of the dog comments about breeding for different physical characteristics....So then where would dwarves, angoras etc. fit in with the idea of quality breeding? Clearly in the attempts to produce these chins there will be chins that are not normal in the sense of a traditional chin, (possibly ugly, small, and unable to perform well in shows) and a limited gene pool to work with. So if these attempts produce poor quality chins that aren't quite dwarves or arent quite angoras, is that considered acceptable? (Just taking this discussion a different way, no plans for any of this personally!)

That's an interesting point. Hmm, from chinchillas.com, it seems that the main line of dwarfs is a recessive, carriers being normal size. The dwarf females apparently can have littering problems, understandably (that would put me off, tbh, I feel like true dwarfism isn't a good trait to aim for, but would have to know more about the line I guess), so it's the males and carrier females that are bred. With the angoras, it seems some angora carriers have longer hair than usual, which would probably mean they wouldn't show well, though that's maybe similar to breeding for Sapphires and Violets, I know some breeders have said that Standard carriers of these recessives don't always seem to do so well when shown, but of course they're still important for a breeding program. Mish also has mentioned in this thread that her lighter Standards are good for pairing with Saphs, but don't do so well on the show table. It's a bit different from the dogs, as in them breeders are deliberately aiming to produce physical characteristics, for instance, a shorter muzzle, despite knowing that that characteristic will cause health problems, ie. interfere with breathing (they don't want to accept this is the case, of course). If, say, the locken chins turned out to be really prone to skin problems due to not having the coat to protect the skin, that would be more similar, or if the rounded heads in chins actually did lead to more frequent occurrences of malo., as it does in rabbits, particularly dwarf lops (though as Spoof says, in chins seems that's just a certain line, so not necessarily connected to the physical characteristic as such).

All the mutations (the Tower Beige was mentioned to me as an example?) I think haven't been so strong initially, health wise and in terms of show qualities, so I don't think the angoras are any different there. It does potentially fit with the idea of breeding for quality, as responsible breeders working with these mutations will of course try to improve the health as well as show qualities of the mutations (and I do think a show standard for evaluating angoras and lockens will be probably worked out eventually, will be interesting to see what happens there anyway). It isn't working to improve the species as a whole, because the species doesn't particularly need to be long haired, curly haired...or white, beige, black etc. (makes for rubbish camouflage!). It's for the benefit of humans who are interested to see something different, same in any domesticated species, the best breeders can do is make sure that preserving that something different isn't at the expense of the animal's health.
Of course, there are breeders who will just breed them for profit, same with breeders who only care about breeding 'pretty coloured' mutation chins that will sell for more (especially the mosaic advertised as 'rare colour!!! :rolleyes:) and don't use any standards. Doesn't mean it's intrinsically the fault of the mutation itself. In breeding any chins you're going to end up some that weren't what you were hoping for (even just with ebonies, I really admire the patience of anyone who keeps aiming for a showable 'every hair shiny black' eb, hah).

If there's a clear link between a specific health problem and a new mutation, I don't feel it should be bred unless it's something that can be bred out without resulting in a great many chins with health problems along the way.

Wow... I just skimming through most of this.. but one thing I really wanted to touch on is... YES there is an ideal chinchilla, NO we have not achieved it.

Ralph might have liked that black tip, Mark likes that blue color, but if you could put an animal on the table that was blue colored, with a clear black tip, it would beat them both. When each rancher has something he prefers, such as black tip over blue color, it's that they are finding the trait that they prefer and getting it as close to perfect as they can. So while you could take a GSC to a show the next day and get a 2nd... it's probably not going to happen, because that animal was the best animal that day, and if showed against the same animals the next day, then it should still be at the top barring anything traumatic happening. If you took an animal who was GSC from field day to Nationals the next day then that's a different story with a totally different level of quality and expectancies. A GSC at an early field day, might not even hit the top of the table at a March National show. Although there are not "pre-qualification rounds" the show system is set up kind of like a sporting event. You play locally, you win, you go to districts, you win, you go to state, etc. It's made that you can check your quality and continue to check it against higher quality competition.

To the original post... yes people get sick of the same questions by newbies, but there is no law saying that not everyone can breed ( that can be taken a couple ways...) if they want to. All we CAN DO is try to help. If we don't try to help, we will never know who will do well and who won't.

I consider myself a responsible breeder. I bred for competition, and to improve my stock to improve my animals for competition. They are feed, watered, cared for, treated, clean, fresh air... But when I started into breeding I couldn't find anyone to help me... I asked several people. Finally I found someone who gave me a little bit of their time, and in the best interest of chins, they told me to get rid of what I had and start over if I wanted quality animals... they didn't expect to hear from me again after that really. But they did, and I'm still here. Does everyone have that hard headedness... no. But no one can find a mentor, if everyone is immediately attacked, will it help either? It all goes back to the saying... you can lead a horse to water... you can even explain to the horse that you're going into a desert and it better "stock up"... but you can't make it. Unfortunately the lives of animals are caught in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back