New to the chin world!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

wombat

Hey guys, my name is Nick and I'm from Illinois. I just picked up my first two chins today. I picked them up from a friend of my girlfriend's who's paretns made her get rid of them...They had two death balls, and I told her that I didn't want those, and she could keep them...I did that much for them, They're both a year old and the black one is named Biggles, and the Grey one is Chi-chi I did a LOT of research last night, spent about 2-3 hours on here straight, just reading up on what I should get Both are male and I had a few questions which I don't know where to start with them. First off lets start with what they came with.

-Kaytee Dust Bath
-Kaytee Natrual Orchard Grass
-Sunseed Shredded Aspen bedding
-Kaytee Forti-Diet Food Pellets

The cage they came with is pictured below, along with them in it...I need to get a different cage, I know that, and I need a glass water bottle.

First question...Are the supplies that I listed (and pictured) that they came with okay to use?

Second question, can we rename them? I don't know how or if they respond to their names, but they're only a year old and we were wondering if we could rename them.

Third what cages woudl you guys recommend for these two? It seems that Chi-chi likes to climb the cage now...and it worries me that he's going to hurt himself.

Other misc. questions;
-How much bedding do I use?
-Do I put their grass all in the same place? (the grass is what they should have a 24/7 supply of correct?)
-The pellets is what they get 2 tablespoons of twice? daily?
-If I keep the dust bath in the cage, there should NOT be dust in it all the time, correct?

I'm sure I Have MANY more questions, that you guys might answer, however if you could give me ANY input that'd be great!

Now for the pictures! (I realize in one of the pictures there's cords, those will be gone before anyone responds to this message)
dscn1077.jpg

dscn1078l.jpg

dscn1082.jpg

dscn1083a.jpg

dscn1084y.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on your new chins! Good for you in not taking those death balls.

Kaytee really isn't a very good pellet to be feeding. If you have a feed supply store close by go there and see if you can get oxbow, mazuri, or purina advanced nutrition show rabbit. You can also check at a local pet store for these brands of pellets but they will be more expensive at a pet store. Then start switching them over by putting in some of the kaytee pellets and some of the better brand. Gradually add more of the new food and less of the old.

We use orchard grass and timothy hay for our chins. It is provided 24/7

The dust bath should only be put in the cage for 10-20 minutes then taken out.

Yes you're correct they do need a larger cage with wooden shelves.

I use just enough bedding to cover the bottom of the cage a few inches thick. Some people have trained their chins to use a metal "litter" pan by putting shavings just in that pan.

So even if the dust bath has no dust in it take it out?

Should the dust bath only be associated with playing/bathing?

When switching the food over, I should do the like 80/20, 70/30, 60/40 gradually over a few weeks?

I'm gonna go to the store in a few and grab at least a couple small shelves that they can bench up on, along with that new food.

Hey guys, my name is Nick and I'm from Illinois. I just picked up my first two chins today. I picked them up from a friend of my girlfriend's who's paretns made her get rid of them...They had two death balls, and I told her that I didn't want those, and she could keep them...I did that much for them, They're both a year old and the black one is named Biggles, and the Grey one is Chi-chi I did a LOT of research last night, spent about 2-3 hours on here straight, just reading up on what I should get Both are male and I had a few questions which I don't know where to start with them. First off lets start with what they came with.

-Kaytee Dust Bath
-Kaytee Natrual Orchard Grass
-Sunseed Shredded Aspen bedding
-Kaytee Forti-Diet Food Pellets

The cage they came with is pictured below, along with them in it...I need to get a different cage, I know that, and I need a glass water bottle.

First question...Are the supplies that I listed (and pictured) that they came with okay to use?

Second question, can we rename them? I don't know how or if they respond to their names, but they're only a year old and we were wondering if we could rename them.

Third what cages woudl you guys recommend for these two? It seems that Chi-chi likes to climb the cage now...and it worries me that he's going to hurt himself.

Other misc. questions;
-Do I put their grass all in the same place? (the grass is what they should have a 24/7 supply of correct?)
-If I keep the dust bath in the cage, there should NOT be dust in it all the time, correct?

I'm sure I Have MANY more questions, that you guys might answer, however if you could give me ANY input that'd be great!

Now for the pictures! (I realize in one of the pictures there's cords, those will be gone before anyone responds to this message)

Yeah, I would go with some different things for food, hay and dust. It's not very healthy/beneficial for your new chins.

Good food: Oxbow, Tradition and Mazuri (Some others feed certain rabbit feeds that are ok as well)
Good hay: Oxbow or American Pet Diner
Good dust: Blue Cloud or Blue Sparkle

You can rename them if you want, they are now your babies. If you feel like they need new names, go for it!

I always recommend the Ferret Nation right off. It's a fantastic cage with lots of benefits and the 2 Level would be perfect for these.

I wouldn't really say there is a SET amount you should use, just use your best judgement. ;)
Yes, they need a constant supply of fresh hay. And lots of people on here sell nifty hay boxes to hold it if you're looking for something like that. :)
You can do that or you can free feed, it's up to you.
Yes, it can dry their skin out if you leave it in the cage all the time, so I wouldn't recommend that.

So it's okay for me to leave the dust bath in there, but with no dust?

It is, but then you're going to need to clean it out every time before putting dust in for them to use. They are going to pee and poop in it, which is going to make it dirty. You won't want them rolling in peed/pooped dust.

Congrats on the new additions!

So even if the dust bath has no dust in it take it out?
Right, there's really no need to leave the house and/or dust in there. A wooden house would be neat for the cage though!

Should the dust bath only be associated with playing/bathing?
I would, but mine is plastic, so I wouldn't leave it in there anyways.

When switching the food over, I should do the like 80/20, 70/30, 60/40 gradually over a few weeks?
In most cases, gradually is best, however some have gone cold turkey from a food with a lot of treats to a better feed. It's kind of a judgement call.

I'm gonna go to the store in a few and grab at least a couple small shelves that they can bench up on, along with that new food.

Alright, sounds good...becuase the fact that they seem to love the dust bath, i'm going to keep it out and use it for play/bathing purposes only. I'm sure they'll be spoiled with lots of other toys they can use

They probably like the shelter the dust bath provides but you will end up with a dust cloud everywhere if you leave it in there too not to mention the dry skin. Perhaps just provide them with another wood house or allie at Camphor Chins and Gella make some cute fleece ones. You can order products online through members here if you can't find quality pellets, dust or hay.

Your cage now is ok but because it is longer than it is tall, it isn't really suited for chins' natural jumping abilities. Ferret nations are good, other cages can be modified to be good. Martin's cages and Quality cages are also good (just do a google search) or people have also made their own cages. There is a good thread in the housing section with pictures of people's cages. Sometimes you can find used cages on here or on craigslist for a reasonable price, just make sure you scrub them really well.

Feel free to rename them...I always have.

I free feed pellets and have had no troubles with it and give my chins free access to timothy hay and add in orchard grass every now and then. You should provide them timothy hay as it's rough stemmy pieces wear down the teeth differently than orchard grass.

I would just make the bedding deep enough to provide cushion and absorb liquids. If you use too much you will be wasting $$$.

Add in some chews (again can order them here or find them at the petstore) lava dots, pumice, and properly prepared safe woods will help them keep busy and wear down their teeth. Again, check the classified section and congrats on your boys!

Welcome and congratulations on your 2 chinnies! It's great that you've come on board to becoming a more informed chin owner. You've already received some good advice, I can add to just keep an eye on them chewing the plastic, whether it be their bath house or the bottom of your cage or the clips that secure the cage to the base. My old chin's cage had those same clips and overnight he had chewed one entire clip off. I was lucky he was ok, and learned from it, but just wanted to share that with you so that you could keep an eye on that stuff :) It's great to see a few Illinoisan's have joined recently, what part of Illinois are you at?

I'm from the northwest suburbs, Bensenville to be exact. I'm basically on a runway of O'Hare...

I'm from the northwest suburbs, Bensenville to be exact. I'm basically on a runway of O'Hare...

When I think of Bensenville I think of Victory Auto Wreckers and their wonderful yet ancient commercial. I still see that commercial on occasion! Hey, I grew up in Schiller Park. You would have to quit conversations until the airplanes passed overhead and you could also almost wave to the passengers in the airplanes, so I know what you mean. :rofl: That was many years ago and I think they have shut that runway down, though. I still live in Illinois, but in DeKalb County now.

Congratulations on the new chinnies. I think you'll be a good chinnie daddy. And yes, you can change their names if you want to. I adopted a dog that was named Princess and I didn't like that name and I changed her name to Star. It only took her a couple days to realize Star meant her. Now she doesn't respond to Princess at all. So if it didn't confuse a dog, I'm sure you're chinnies will do okay with a name change.

Sounds as though you're on the right track with those two. I can't see the one hiding in the dust bath but the other guy looks really good. Congrats on your two new additions and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with them.

You mentioned about getting a new cage and that's great but was thinking in the meantime you could put in a few wooden ledges in that cage for them to hop around it. It looks like it could fit a few ledges no problem.

Go through the supplier list on here and you can find anything and everything you'll need for them...that way if the pet store doesn't have something you'll know where to go :thumbsup:

Having two chins you should really have two cages at all time in case they ever decide they no long like each other-which DOES sometimes happen no matter if they are related, been together for years....doesn't matter.

Also, having both boys you'll need to learn how to do a hair ring check. I have two boys together and usually do a check 2 times a month but a lot of people only do it once and month. If you see one of the boys messing with his penis (more than usual) then a check should be done.

A check is done by holding the chin (usually works best with two people but only needs one) against your body slightly turned up so his penis is exposed. If the chin won't hold still you can try wrapping it burrito style in a towl. Applying pressure to the sides of the penis at the base of the shaft-the shaft should pull back and the penis head should begin to show. Slowly and gently bring out the penis all the way out of the shaft to make sure there is no hair on it. If there is a ring, gently remove it with your fingers. Release the penis from your fingers to allow it to go back into the shaft. If it seems to not return to the shaft you may need some lube to help re-roll the shaft over the penis head.

If you need more help with that I know there is a site with a video of it. And don't worry-it gets easier with time:winkers:

Enjoy!

Here's a quick snap of them from my cell phone.

chinchillas.jpg

Last edited:
Back