New Mosaic Chin - Fur Issues

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelyco

Fur Flavored
Hello,

I just got a new female Mosaic chin last night from a pet store. I'd guess she's about 7-8 months old, I'm not sure, I just know she is bigger than my 4-6 month old Standard girl, and she's not full grown.

I'm concerned about her fur. Her white fur is NOT pure white, it's off-white, almost yellowish. She also has a few minor spots of matted fur that is stuck together at the ends, not big clumps or anything.

Is there anything I can do? I did let her take a dust bath last night since she didn't have one at the store, but it doesn't look like it helped. I don't want to cut out the little bits of stuck fur without any advice, and I have no idea how to get her fur back to white again, if possible.

This picture doesn't fully represent her fur color, the bathroom lighting isn't great, but I think you can see some spots where the white fur is a little more yellow, but not black.

Diamond.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated!

Is it possible that she has urine on her fur? did she roll around the cage? sometimes mosaics get that yellow tinge from lying in their urine......just a thought. I know that I have seen a few mosaics that have been very yellow, especially around their genitals, from peeing on themselves. But yours has yellow on her head so I was wondering if perhaps she lay in her urine, or if you had another chin in with her she could have been sprayed?
As far as the fur that is stuck together you could gently try to tug it out (chins slip their fur to get away so usually it is easy to do)

Last edited:
It might be urine, but she doesn't smell so I don't know for sure. She was in a cage with 2 other chins in the store they were romping all over, so it's possible. Can I do anything to get it out of her fur? Will dust baths do anything for it?

If the other chins in the cage were females, she could also have pee on her from them spraying her. Could happen when they were introduced to each other, or just whenever they get upset at one another.

Dust will help over time. I've heard of some people putting corn starch in the dust to help make whites more white, but I have never tried this.

The tufts you can gently tug, and they may come out.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on the color and hope the dust takes care of it. I wouldn't want to introduce anything else into her bath. I'll give the stuck bits a try tonight and see how it goes.

Dust will help over time. I've heard of some people putting corn starch in the dust to help make whites more white, but I have never tried this.

As per some suggestions on CnH, I put a couple tablespoons of cornstarch in my chins dust bath (Blue Cloud) in order to whiten up some fur near his genitals that had been stained with urine after he went through a phase where he would sit in his pee. I've been using the cornstarch for about a week now and I've seen a bit of improvement. I'll continue using the cornstarch and see how it goes from there! :thumbsup:

Does the cornstarch actually HELP get rid of the urine, or just cover it up and make it LOOK whiter?

Does the cornstarch actually HELP get rid of the urine, or just cover it up and make it LOOK whiter?

It gets rid of the urine. After 2 baths with the cornstarch the fur around his genitals was fluffier, less stuck together, and genuinely seemed brighter and whiter.

There is nothing you can do that will make an instant difference. It's stain, and like the word suggested, it can't be removed. The fur will clean up some, but mostly it will have to grow out.

For the mats, the best way is to just grasp them and give a quick gentle tug, they'll come out and new fur will replace it. Please don't use scissors to cut mats out.

It gets rid of the urine. After 2 baths with the cornstarch the fur around his genitals was fluffier, less stuck together, and genuinely seemed brighter and whiter.

Thanks! I may have to try that, then. I first thought people were using cornstarch just to cover up the stain.

For the mats, the best way is to just grasp them and give a quick gentle tug, they'll come out and new fur will replace it. Please don't use scissors to cut mats out.

That's exactly why I asked first instead of just doing it :))

Latest posts

Back