New fuzz butt! Bad fur.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooky

I tend to browse around craigslist when I'm bored and look at the pet section because I guess I enjoy torturing myself by looking at all of those pictures and hearing the sad stories. =P Anyway, I came across an ad. for a free chinchilla... It surprised me, then I became a little concerned. Anything with the word "free" in it is bound to attract attention - bad and good. I hate seeing "free" in pet ads because people with unknown intentions may contact the owner and just get the animal for whatever reason. Creeps.

But I had a cage and all of the stuff, and I was looking, though not very actively, for an adult chin to sort of help me cope with the loss of Buffy. Seeing the empty cage all of the time killed me.
After contacting the owner, we arranged to meet up today. Her car broke so I went all the way to her house to pick him up. I was quite appalled at what I saw. First of all, she had a death ball, which I kindly refused to take. She gave me a bag of food and guess what? It wasn't even chinchilla food. It was a bag of hamster and gerbil food, and a crappy one, too. The sand she had was Kaytee, so that's no good either.

Then she handed me the chinchilla in a super tiny carrier, so I switched him to the cat carrier I had. This is when I really got a look at him. His fur is a mess! Lots of tufts, oily, and a weird little part and section of fur on his back.

(Sorry for fuzzy quality. I don't like to use flash on my pets if I can help it.)
nprtjl.jpg

I have some blue cloud dust so I'll set up a bath for him later on when he's a bit more settled in. He's enjoying all the room and ledges in his cage, and he's a sweet little guy. Also, he's three. I haven't decided on a name yet.

Looks to be a bunch of dead fur. Nothing for that except to just tug it out or comb it out. I'm glad you took him in, "free pet" always attracts weirdos and this guy is lucky he got a real home.

He's adorable, congrats! :)

He's a cutie. I'm glad you decided to get him from those bad conditions. I love that picture of his little nose sticking out like "what's up?!" good luck with him!

some combing & dusting & a little time and his fur will be back to normal.

what a cutie. thanks for saving him.

Thanks for saving him. I'm with you when it comes to browsing craigslist. It's a nightmare. I'm sure he's much happier in his new home and I hope you take good care of him.

Congrats! Thank you for saving him. He's adorable. I can't wait to see pictures of him when he is plump and fluffy.

Thanks everyone! I'm really glad he's here - he's amazing! He loves to be pet and scratched. He got a dust bath which has already helped his fur a little, but it may take a bit until it's fully normal. I've been pulling out dead fur while I pet him, but I'll also probably need to comb him, too. He's got a couple mats. =P
More pictures!

nn7dhi.jpg

2zyeuyt.jpg

Fuzz's debut
2dnfpj.jpg

Angry that his bath was interrupted
10cqk5y.jpg

50pt85.jpg

he's adorable!

its great that you took him in. each chinnie deserves a good home!
i stay away from craigslist ads...im not in a position to take any in right now but i always wish i could.

He looks a lot better even in the short time between the first pics and the newest ones your posted!! YAY

He is super cute! I'm glad you got him, I hope he helps heal your heart. I think you two are just perfect for each other!

Latest posts

Back