Nesting box vs Fleece Tube

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My chins use both depending on their mood. I will say both of them use their fleece tube more. A hidey house (nesting box) usually sits at the bottom of the cage. A fleece tube is usually attached to the side or the top of the cage. It's made from a 6 in. around by 10 in. long pvc/cardboard/coffee can with two holes in the side. The fleece goes around the tube and then hardware is put in that attaches it to the cage.

I have both mine deffinately use the fleece tube the most though.I have mine attached on the side of the cage at the very top. I just went to a plumbing store and bought the 6in pvc pipe and had threewingedfury a member on here make the fleece covers. They are awesome and my babies love them!! The nesting box i just made a box with a hole in front made of wood. I guess you would call it a nesting box, LoL! I call it a house!!

Last edited:
I have some chins that prefer their hidey houses, but most prefer their fleece tubes. Regardless, I provide both for all my chins.

Just wanted to add I have three sleeping places, I have my huts, the nesting tubes and hammocks.. My guys seem to like them all..

jean

Mine all only ever used the hidey houses (nesting boxes whatever) the first week I got them. After that they stopped staying in them. But I can always find mine in a fleece tube now, they love them.

I think that they like that the fleece tube is up higher. I hang mine from the side or the top of the cage near the very top of the cage. The houses are always at the bottom of the cage, and my girls prefer being up high.

I'm curious, what is the difference? How does each work? What are the specifications?

I have both. My youngest male sleeps every day in his box and my other male sleeps on his favorite ledge. Neither one sleeps in their tunnels though they have one on each level and they also have two hammocks.

I bought my Boxs at the Bird Mart in Pomona. I bought 2 for 32.00 and they are pretty large and have a removable front and a big hole on the side. They were made for bird houses but in chin safe wood so I use them for boxes :D

I've had both and now only use the fleece tubes. My chins used the hidey house as a ledge but very rarely did I ever see them go in there. They are both addicted to their fleece tube.

I have both and Kunya prefers the fleece tube for sleeping and privacy, but he sits on top of his hidey house. Fleece tubes are great and you can buy different patterns to change your cage around a little!

Which fleece tubes are better? The longer or the shorter ones? Or does it really matter? I am about to purchase my first one. So many people sell them on here. Who do you recommend purchasing from?

Back