Need to sell Beige TOV but don't know what price

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroline

I purchased this little guy a few months ago to use for breeding and he beat up my female. He is from Chins NW and his sire is Color Champion. Need to sell him to free up space for a really good quality standard male from Cramers. What would be a good price for him?
I have an album with his photo in my albums.

We can't set a price for you. Price is dependent on so many factors: area, buyers, breeder, condition of the animal, do you want to hold him until you get what you think is a "fair" price, do you want to get rid of him quickly, etc.

The only thing I can tell you is a fair price is what you decide to accept.

I would also take into consideration if he's going into a pet home or not. If he beats up females, that's the only place he should go so the price should be set accordingly.

But what is a pet home price? I am in no rush to sell but I am sure he would be happier getting more attention and away from the delicious smell of females.

We can't tell you what a "pet home" or "breeding home" price is. All of my chins are pets and I've paid $50 - $150 for them. What are you comfortable selling him for? Only YOU can answer that question.

Well I paid $150 plus a 75 lb bale of high quality grass hay. I bought him to use for breeding because of his quality.

Forget the reason you purchased him. That won't mean squat to a buyer. If he can't be used in breeding, he's a pet. Plain and simple. Sell him for $50 to someone you know will provide a great home, or sell him for $150 to the first buyer. That part is up to you. Just do the right thing and find him a good home if you can't keep him.

Think of it this way, he will be recommended as just a pet due to his aggression towards females. He may be aggressive towards males too, which means that he may have to be a single chin. The person who purchases him will need to know this and invest in all necessary supplies if they don't have them already. To go to a good home $50-100 is reasonable. I have paid max $175 for a pet chin, and that's only because she has breeding potential, but I only paid that much because I fell in love with her. You may want to list at $150 OBO if you are really concerned with breaking even.

I think in this area, chins have been selling around $150 if they have a cage included. I got my chin for $100 - for my beautiful mosaic and a large tri level cage and supplies.

We can't tell you what a "pet home" or "breeding home" price is. All of my chins are pets and I've paid $50 - $150 for them. What are you comfortable selling him for? Only YOU can answer that question.

Exactly. As a pet owner I would personally never pay more than $150 for a single chinchilla, regardless of color or fur quality. And to pay more than $50-$75 I would really have to want that specific mutation and animal.

I have sold mutation chinchillas to pet homes for $200 several times and even as high as $250. I know of a few other ranchers/breeders that have sold single chinchillas to pet homes for $500-$600.

It depends on what the people in your area are willing to pay for a pet. In my experience, a brown velvet will go for anywhere from $125-$200. For the pet market, I would probably stick around $150-$175 and if the right home comes along that would be perfect for him, you could always lower the price.

In my area I would be lucky to get $125 for an adult brown velvet, or an adult pet period. I typically let strictly adult pets go for $125 or less depending on age and color. I do not supply a pedigree either. Responsible Pet people will never make money off kits, why charge them a fortune? (then again I also discount kits, too...)

$125 to $200 is not what I would call a fortune, I spend more than that in a month on bills alone. People pay upwards of $1600 for a puppy from a reputable breeder that has about the same lifespan as our chinchillas and they also have to get the animal altered to prevent breeding. A chinchilla can bring just as much joy and become a big part of the family and we don't require they be altered.

I lower prices for people I know personally because I know how they will care for the chins. I try to supply pedigrees with all of my chins...not supplying it doesn't prevent them from breeding the animal.

I wouldn't consider $200+ very much money at all, for a pet I plan on caring for, hopefully for 20ish years... If you find someone willing to pay a bit more, I'd like to think it would be more likely that they plan on caring for the chinchilla, at the very least...

Eh, if you can get $150 or more, go for it. This is a quality animal, it is worth it. Generally I charge at least $150 for a brown velvet, normally it's more like $165 or more. There's not shame in charging what you were charged especially because it's a chin with a pedigree. Not all chins with pedigrees should be bred, but a good animal is worth the price. :)

I agree with Tabitha, Kaifeng and Susan.

I see no wrong in selling it the price you paid for your chinchilla. Breeder or pet owner.
Both will get what they are looking for in the animal.
No reason to sell it for less because it is a pet owner that wants him, or more because it is a breeder that wants him.

The same time, effort, care, has been taken to produce this animal.
That is how I see my animals, to me to lower my price for an animal is discriminating to the animal and person buying it. My animals are equal wether pet or not and so are the futur owners, pet guardian or breeder.

Last edited:
The only issue is, in this area, how much are people willing to pay for a chinchilla, quality or not? Seattle area may pay more, but farther north, I don't think the chinchilla would get rehomed at a $200 price.

I wouldn't consider $200+ very much money at all, for a pet I plan on caring for, hopefully for 20ish years... If you find someone willing to pay a bit more, I'd like to think it would be more likely that they plan on caring for the chinchilla, at the very least...
The price a person pays for an animal has nothing to do with them being willing to care for it or keep it forever. If that were the case, you wouldn't find purebred dogs in the shelters. I have known of people that have paid $5,000 for a dog plus importing fees for bragging rights and kept the dogs in deplorable conditions.

Back