need some advice on pregnant female

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillalover0927

to many chin chips??
i have always wanted a pink white chinchilla and i found one the other day about 30 minutes away from me. she was a young girl who just started college and couldnt no longer take care of her animals.....so she was selling what she had left...

i originally went for the pink white female and found out when i got there that she was heavily pregnant..the girl said she "might" be pregnant..but its more than obvious to me that she is..she said this girls last litter was quads..so im dredding that she is pregnant again hoping she doesnt have that many but i cant even fit her stomach in my hand so its not looking good so far for me...

she also had pairs available and refused to seperate them.. i felt horrible for this tan female, because the girl told me that she never seperates her chinchillas , she just lets them breedback so she gets more litters...so i bought the tan female and the male, which appears to me a tov ebony.. i seperated them as soon as i got home and got cages situated...
everyone looks completely healthy no problems except i believe the tan female has a good bit of fur chewing going on...

my question is,
with the pink white female, im sure if she has a litter of more than 2 i will need to help supplement the babies..i went and got goat milk today and a feeder bottle but how often do i need to supplement them and rotate them out?? i have never had to do that and dont want to go reading other threads and get the wrong info so im asking on my own thread.. i would appreciate any advice about it..being im a little overwhelmed with this...

the pink white female weighs 900 as of rite now and the tan female is in the 830's

i thank you all in advance

pwovershot.jpg

tanf2.jpg

tanfemale.jpg

ebmale2.jpg

Once again, at the risk of being seen as discouraging people ........

chinchillalover0927, I am sure you mean well but can I ask why you keep taking in "rescues"? I am very concerned that you may be getting in over your head, especially when you have several possibly pregnant chins & the old boy with the bad feet.
Are they all being quarantined in completely separate rooms? Do you have a full first aid kit ready? Why didn't you have the hand rearing stuff already for the chins you picked up a little while ago? Do you have the time & money to care for all these chins? (& I only ask that because not so long ago you assured us you were not taking on any more or breeding because space/money were tight).

I believe this applies here - it is from the other thread:
"You have a couple or more possibly pregnant females which may or may not need help if they produces kits - this could include round the clock feeding of kits hourly if they reject them or they need help. They may need a C-section & need post-op nursing care.
So please STOP taking on more chins - you have a very steep learning curve ahead of you for the next few weeks & you need to be able to give each chin in need the right amount of attention. If you keep taking on more chins you are not going to be able to cope physically or emotionally (plus the financial strain of multiple, repeat vet visits) - if you don't believe me, just ask other members with rescue experience or who have nursed multiple sick chins what they think."

i dont plan on keeping the tan female or the ebony male....i have a home lined up for them after if everything goes ok...

thank you all for the advice but i got the information i needed. i saved the thread tunes made... this thread can be closed

Last edited:
i dont plan on keeping the tan female or the ebony male....i have a home lined up for them after if everything goes ok...
You seem to be missing the point of my post & you have not addressed any of my questions .......... it is not about rehoming them - it is about taking on too many chins, too quickly, with possible problems which you don't have the experience, time, money, space or knowledge to deal with.

There is a fine line between "rescuing" and animal hoarding and there are several members on this forum who are walking that line. Just a response that goes along with ClaireDs feelings about getting in over your head.

Aren't you fighting a cockroach infestation right now? On that thread you said that you have all of your chinchillas in one room...therefore it isn't impossible to quarantine them?...that's not safe, given the amount of kits you have popping up between the amount of chinchillas.

Aren't you fighting a cockroach infestation right now? On that thread you said that you have all of your chinchillas in one room...therefore it isn't impossible to quarantine them?...that's not safe, given the amount of kits you have popping up between the amount of chinchillas.

im so sorry that i didnt say that i have the other ones in a quarantine space..but i did state that when i got them....having the other chinchillas in an extra room didnt cross my mind considering 90% of my chins are in MY room. and we sprayed the house and have not had roaches since then.....

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that just because she has more then 2 kits does not mean you will need to handfeed. I have several females here that can raise and wean a little of quads with no problems.

You need to fully understand the signs of when to step in, when to not step in and help. Please research...moms milk is best if they can get it. So if you don't have to handfeed don't do it... with that part said..

Are you seriously ready to feed every 2 hours day AND night if it needs to be done? I can tell you from experience you'll get very little sleep. If it is a large litter by the time you are done handfeeding them you'll be waking up in about a half hour to start over again.

There is NOTHING wrong with having a few pet chins...everyone doesn't need to have 10+ chins.. *sigh*

Last edited:
im so sorry that i didnt say that i have the other ones in a quarantine space..but i did state that when i got them....having the other chinchillas in an extra room didnt cross my mind considering 90% of my chins are in MY room. and we sprayed the house and have not had roaches since then.....

So your other ones from multiple sources are all in the same area? That is not proper quarantine.

i didnt know that every single chinchilla needed to be quarantined in a different space....everyone on the forum makes it sound like they have one quarantine room... i have all of the new ones in one room and all mine in my room...

sorry that i didnt know that was a problem. holly and grinch wont be coming out of that room until everyones quarentine is done.

im trying to do the rite things and you all seem to be nothing but nitpicking everything i do wrong instead of kindly telling me that im doing it wrong.. like i said im not trying to argue with anyone, but i guess its to late now but now i know... thanks for all the help

and i only was going to help nurse if she seems like she needs help, i wasnt going to do it just to do it.

Good luck with the pregnant chin momma. That one thread was very informative. Im sure you will do just fine :)

i didnt know that every single chinchilla needed to be quarantined in a different space....everyone on the forum makes it sound like they have one quarantine room... i have all of the new ones in one room and all mine in my room...

sorry that i didnt know that was a problem. holly and grinch wont be coming out of that room until everyones quarentine is done..

*sigh* I posted about separate rooms 3 days ago & also made it clear I was not trying to discourage you ..... having separate areas for each set of chins is really important & one of the reasons people should never take in too many chins too quickly - you have no idea as a rescue what illnesses you could be bringing in with the chins.
As a rescue proper, careful quarantine is very very important.

Once again, at the risk of being seen as discouraging people ........

chinchillalover0927, I am sure you mean well but can I ask why you keep taking in "rescues"? I am very concerned that you may be getting in over your head, especially when you have several possibly pregnant chins & the old boy with the bad feet.
Are they all being quarantined in completely separate rooms? Do you have a full first aid kit ready? Why didn't you have the hand rearing stuff already for the chins you picked up a little while ago? Do you have the time & money to care for all these chins? (& I only ask that because not so long ago you assured us you were not taking on any more or breeding because space/money were tight).

Please answer the questions people are asking - they are trying to help you not get in over your head.

Last edited:
Back