Need help finding local chin shows.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broderp

Not complaining, but is it just me or is there no real organization in this section by location, area or state to help match up potential people wanting to go to a chinchilla show in their area?

I'm looking for dates and info on shows in Ohio for this year that my wife an I can go to and have a look see and make a day of it.

SO MUCH information, but its out of date or not very well organized. Am I missing a FAQ or something? I'm also overwhelmed by some of the terms breeders or show regulars take for granted.

??? I'm gonna keep looking.......;) sound like a fun time.

Last edited:
Usually shows are only announced a couple months in advance of the show. Regulars from the area can tell you what shows are there and the usual dates. There are quite a few shows in the Ohio area, just keep an eye out for them.

I'd love to go and check out some shows. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

Hopefully they will accept donations, we always donate to help animals when we shop the local pet stores.

Maybe there would be a chin rescue we could donate funds to help support.

The Western Ohio ECBC Jenera show is usually the first Saturday in January. This year it was the second Saturday because the first was New Year's.

The Ohio MCBA Claim show - used to be in Mansfield but is now at the Plymouth American Legion - is usually the Saturday before Halloween, in Oct.

The Ohio MCBA Field day is usually the Saturday after mother's day in May. It is held at the Ryerson's ranch in Plymouth Ohio. This will be the next show in OH, but the official date has not yet been announced. You can keep an eye on this section of the forum for news about it, probably sometime later this month or in March.

Actually, Ohio has more shows that any other state- at least in this half of the US. MCBA Nationals are also in Indiana, as is the Shindig which is close and there is also a show in southern MI. There are plenty of opportunities to learn.

Actually, Ohio has more shows that any other state- at least in this half of the US. MCBA Nationals are also in Indiana, as is the Shindig which is close and there is also a show in southern MI. There are plenty of opportunities to learn.

Agreed - there are a ton of shows in your region. I actually consider myself fortunate to be only about 4 hours from Ohio for that reason.

I am in Ohio too and I would love to attend a show! What is their opinion on if I say, just came and watched the show? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I don't want to feel weird.

I am in Ohio too and I would love to attend a show! What is their opinion on if I say, just came and watched the show? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I don't want to feel weird.

I go to MCBA nationals every year in Auburn, IN just to watch and mingle with chin friends. I don't show or anything. No one cares at all and are more than willing to answer any questions you may have!

Pikaia- I feel the same way!! I'd love to see what a show is like but feel a little uncomfortable as I'm not showing an animal & I'm a newbie w/ chins (got first 2 in Oct). I'm thinking about going to the show in Auburn, IN on March 26th as it's only 3 1/2 hrs from me.

Pikaia- I feel the same way!! I'd love to see what a show is like but feel a little uncomfortable as I'm not showing an animal & I'm a newbie w/ chins (got first 2 in Oct). I'm thinking about going to the show in Auburn, IN on March 26th as it's only 3 1/2 hrs from me.

If you can make it, you should come! Many of us will be at the show just to watch. Just jump in and don't be shy! We don't bite. (Except for Becky, watch out for her...she'll be the one covered in purple stuff.)

If you can make it, you should come! Many of us will be at the show just to watch. Just jump in and don't be shy! We don't bite. (Except for Becky, watch out for her...she'll be the one covered in purple stuff.)

Um Stacie, your avatar says you bite :neener: LOL!

I also agree with Stacie, I knew no one when I joined the forum and now I have some really great lifelong friends :)). One especially that I roadtrip with :deadhorse2: but that's for a different thread altogether. Going to a show is a great experience even for us non-breeders/pet owners.

I never show, but I go to the shows! It's not awkward at all if you aren't breeding, there's lots of pet owners at shows.

Hmmm, I might be planning a trip then! Ryerson's is having the "Learn to Groom" seminar and I might attend that. It sounds like fun and who doesn't want their chinnies looking their best. :p

Oh, do they have vendors selling chinny items at shows? :D

Jodie- I am a newbie too! I got my first chin in October as well! Maybe if we meet at a show we can be newbie buddies :p

This year I will likely just be watching at nationals. Usually I show but this year I may not. It is still fun to go

All chinchilla people are welcome at MCBA shows. Sometimes you will be asked to pay a fee if you are not showing ($5-$10), but that's all it will cost you.

Most shows don't have vendors. Sometimes there will be a few things for sale. When Jeri Jagielo is at a show, she usually has her stuff with her (license plates, keychains, mugs, etc.) There are also many people that will deliver supplies, toys, etc., if you make arrangements ahead of time. If you need something specific. just ask and we'll point you in the right direction. There will also be an auction at Nationals, so there will be chins to drool over and tempt you!

Back