my other pet hobby! (frogs)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea there alot of fun! i started making cool vivs with waterfalls and stuff but i got so many i had to do a rack system so my wife didnt kill me lol.

lol yeah, I can imagine! I've seen some cool rack systems even. Of course then you're getting more expensive with custom made tanks.

Do you have many thumbnails? Those little guys are my favorite, they're so tiny!

for thumbs i have itermedius, and alot of pumillio. i work with the rare lime green pumillio. i also have some standard lamasi

lol yeah, I can imagine! I've seen some cool rack systems even. Of course then you're getting more expensive with custom made tanks.

Do you have many thumbnails? Those little guys are my favorite, they're so tiny!

here are my thumbnail tanks and in progress ones

old.jpg

new.jpg

You are so incredibly cool. My daughter would love to pay you a visit. She is obsessed with frogs!

No one laugh at this but I put my dart frogs in an enclosure and it was a little too big and can't find them now. Dart frogs are sick. Do you have reptiles? I think I there were too many plants still looking for them.

What kind of dart frogs do you have? Are you sure they're still alive in there? Aren't you feeding them? Many frogs come out when you feed them, unless you have a species that tends to be more shy.

Why did I edit that. Well, I think they are called Bumblebee dart frogs. I just can't find them I mean the humidity was good and they looked great but they started to go behind these little bark like structures in the back of the enclosure. There are crickets running around in there. I'm not really sure I mean it has been a while since I saw them. I keep looking but can't find any bodies nor can I find them, so I think they are still alive and they should have been feeding well I mean they have plenty of crickets running around in there. The smaller ones.

Last edited:
Why did I edit that. Well, I think they are called Bumblebee dart frogs. I just can't find them I mean the humidity was good and they looked great but they started to go behind these little bark like structures in the back of the enclosure. There are crickets running around in there. I'm not really sure I mean it has been a while since I saw them. I keep looking but can't find any bodies nor can I find them, so I think they are still alive and they should have been feeding well I mean they have plenty of crickets running around in there. The smaller ones.

Well, if you're buying the crickets at the pet store, chances are, the crickets are too large for them to eat. You can't really get pinhead crickets at most petstores, they outgrow that size too quickly. You really should be feeding fruit flies as well as pinhead crickets. And the feed needs to be dusted with both calcium and herptivite a couple times a week. If the frogs aren't eating the insects when you put them in, they won't get the vitamins and calcium since the powder will come off over time.

And with crickets running around in their cage, they can get stressed out if they're climbing all over the frogs.

Did you do much research before getting the frogs?

Nope I have a provider who sells me crickets. So pinheads are much smaller than anything else. I did a lot of research.

They were small but small enough for me to see. I did put some pinheads in once in a while.

Last edited:
They had a big cage with plenty of plants but the bark thing was unexpected problem. I'm pretty sure they are alive but I haven't found them through all the plants. Just saying something to add to the conversation.

pinheads are way to big for any dart other then the teribilis species. espicially leucomelas(bumblebee)

So with all the different color variations in these frogs... are they all different speces/subspecies? Or are they different color mutations of the same species? If different color mutations - are they colors that exist in the wild, or are they colors that have been developed primarily in captivity?

And with the tadpoles-in-cups - do you have to do water changes on them frequently, or is that stage relatively short and you don't have to? If you did, it would seem like kind of a tedious process... so just kind of curious :)

Last edited:
They exist in the wild in many colors too. But there are subspecies that look different. Correct me if I'm wrong because frogs aren't my forte but you know the frogs I was talking about there is a subspecies that has dots or something thats how different it can get with these guys. It is really quite amazing.

Last edited:
all the color variations are different species. in the dart frog community cross breeding to make hybrids is looked down upon. everything you see you can find in the wild. water changes are every 2 days and need to be kept seperate for canabilism. it takes about 30 min but with a turkey baster its ok.

So with all the different color variations in these frogs... are they all different speces/subspecies? Or are they different color mutations of the same species? If different color mutations - are they colors that exist in the wild, or are they colors that have been developed primarily in captivity?

And with the tadpoles-in-cups - do you have to do water changes on them frequently, or is that stage relatively short and you don't have to? If you did, it would seem like kind of a tedious process... so just kind of curious :)

Latest posts

Back