My new chinnys along with the first decent pictures of my original

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so i finally grabbed a camera and i figured ill put some pictures up
The first two are of upgrayedd (please excuse me wheel its temporary and he loves it also he doesnt chew) he is rather mad looking since i took him out of his tunnel
The second two are the ones i took in yesterday still very nervous as you can see and you cant see but the darker ones ear is bit up from a fight long ago
Also isn't the lighter one soo pretty? Almost a brownish tint
The last picture is the cage they were kept in for 2 years :( It has a normal xbox 360 game and a book near it for size comparison

Attachments

• CIMG0842.jpg
    CIMG0842.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 149
  • CIMG0843.jpg
    CIMG0843.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 141
  • CIMG0847.jpg
    CIMG0847.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 145
  • CIMG0848.jpg
    CIMG0848.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 143
  • CIMG0851.jpg
    CIMG0851.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
There they are! Actually they don't look to be in too bad shape. They remind me of the pair I recently picked up, a standard and a beige boy. :))

Yea there not terrible but that cage... AHHHH It just breaks my heart knowing they've been in it for two months
What color is the lighter one anyway? Im wanting to say beige but im not sure... Doesn't seem like a standard to me

Oooooohhhhh, pretty babies, but yikes that cage!!!!! I want another one so bad I can hardly stand it, ladies & gentlemen, I do believe I got the fever!!

They really don't look that bad at all. They look like they've had dust baths, which is a plus. That cage may not be the largest cage, but it's certainly not a means for saying they were abused or not taken care of, and a life/death situation. It's actually much larger than a run hole. Of course they deserve a better cage, but you acted like they lived in a hamster cage.

I never said abused i just said the cage was horrid which in my opinion it is... I personally think the cage my single chinchilla has which is more than three times the size of that one is too small.
They were cared for primarily by a 7 year old and fed childrens snacks...
I know i did the right thing so whether you do or not isnt why i made this thread i just wanted to put some pictures up
Also i gave them both a dust bath lastnight (the male dusted himself i hand dusted the female because she wouldnt do it)

Nice looking chins! I would consider that cage to be a prison! I figured a weight to square feet of room ratio for my my chin and realized that he has a better set-up than I do in my apartment, but a chin could barely move around in that cage!

They look ok to me, one bath by you won't produce that look so they have been getting regular baths. The cage is not a bad size either, IMO.

Yea thats only their quarantine cage after the quarantine is up im going to attempt to bond them into a trio in a new FN142
But that cage to me is just horrible... Atleast now they have some chews in it and they have some decent food and hay

That cage IS horrible and I've had a pair of gerbils in a bigger/nicer cage than that.

Lee, so they're a male/female pair then or am I getting confused here? Trying to follow too many stories I think, lol.

Im not sure :(
Ive gotten mixed stories from the previous owners
Im gonna check as soon as they warm up to me
Right now im going by my latest thing i was told which is there both males but ive been switching on and off calling the lighter one a male and female thus the lack of name.
As far as ive been told was they bought them as a male pair than they brought them to get checked up and were told they were male female than brought back again and told they were males
The confusion is EVERYWHERE

I never said abused i just said the cage was horrid which in my opinion it is... I personally think the cage my single chinchilla has which is more than three times the size of that one is too small.
They were cared for primarily by a 7 year old and fed childrens snacks...
I know i did the right thing so whether you do or not isnt why i made this thread i just wanted to put some pictures up
Also i gave them both a dust bath lastnight (the male dusted himself i hand dusted the female because she wouldnt do it)

Lee - you have GOT to seperate them. She is quite possibly already preggo. Secondly, you're going to fail w/ a trio of 2 males and a female. The males will fight for the "right to breed" (and by fight, I mean to the death).

If you can snap some photos, we're happy to help make sure they're sexed correctly!

Last edited:
Well no wonder I'm totally confused then, lol.

Can you get someone to snap a few pics of their parts while you hold their tails up and then post them here?

maybe i missed this.... but, there is a male and a female? are you going to separate them???

I cant even touch them yet there very stressed and if i find that it is a female i will separate them but its none for sure what it is yet as the same place told them 2 different things and ive yet to ever see down there

Ok so so far with the new chinnys the one has always been called a male the other one has been called a male and a female so right now im going by what they were last told which is its male and as soon as i can touch them without them running and kacking like crazy i will find out for sure and if the one is indeed a female they will be separated

Ive been switching back and forth between calling the lighter a male and female i call it a female alot just to more easily say which one is doing what

Last edited:
you should probably not worry too much about the kacking, and find out immediately. you really dont want her to be pregnant... thats just too much to handle.

I know they're stressed and all but quickly picking them up and holding the base of their tail up for a few seconds isn't going to kill them. If you're worried about them biting you then put on some leather gloves, reach in, scoop one up and then lift their tail (from the base) and take a look. If possible, get someone else to snap the pics while you're holding them. If you've got them by the base of the tail they are secured and won't go anywhere.

Folks we have a female :(
Guess its time to go get that FN sooner than i thought
Im 99% sure thats a female but im by far not an expert

Attachments

• CIMG0853.jpg
    CIMG0853.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 91
  • CIMG0852.jpg
    CIMG0852.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 89
Status
Not open for further replies.