My Hoglets :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure how it is for babies, but with adults it is almost easier to do the syringing when they ball up. Flip them over (nestled in a towel or something similar) and gently ease the syringe under the chin while they are balled up. Don't know if this will help. Quills crossed over here too!

Charlie - thank you for that tip! I will try it tonight, she is just so tiny, only 18grams! I need to give her a drop twice a day so hopefully that doesn't upset Hannah too much.

And thank you to everyone else for the quills and paws crossed :) I have never had such support from a forum - Thank you!!!

I have no idea if any of this would work with such a small hedgehog, I'm just throwing ideas out here in case they help. The one time I had babies, I had to bottle feed one of them, but I used a small curved type eye dropper to accomplish the feat, which won't help you with dosing medication. However, I think my girl was an older baby than yours are when I had to start supplement feeding her.

You may want to look at a different syringe. If they gave you a standard 1cc oral the tip may be a bit large for her mouth. They do make some that have more of a pippet tip. If you have trouble getting the syringe in her mouth, ask doc if he has anything smaller that may fit.

Anyone know if an injection syringe would work better for a tiny mouth? I was once shipped the wrong syringes (injection 10cc instead of oral 10cc) and the tips on them were very small compared to the oral syringes. But they were also 10cc syringes and not 1cc.

I am continuing to keep her in my thoughts and keep checking this thread.

I've gotten .5cc syringes from the vet when the dosing is very tiny.

I have limited experience with syringing babies but I used the tiny .5 syringe and basically let baby lick it off the end.

Mom will be very interested in the baby's mouth after the meds are given. Perhaps give mom a taste of the meds too so it being on the baby isn't so foreign to her.

I was finally able to successfully get the antibiotic into Ebba late last night and this morning!! The insulin syringe tip is very small and the dose is 0.04 so I have to be careful about losing it so transfering it at this point would be impossible! Anyways, I used the towel idea except I used fleece and put her on her back and then put the syringe tip by her mouth and started slowly pushing the med out and she started licking it up!! I was so relieved that something finally worked. I'm unsure if she got the full dose, but she got most of it!
And Nancy you were right - Hannah instantly starting licking Ebbas face when I put her back, but then pushed her underneath herself to nurse so I guess she is okay with it! :)

Here's a new picture of the two healthy hoglets. And the last picture, is that a boy? It hard to tell when they are so small :)
Hogletboy.jpg

Hoglets2.jpg

I originally thought they were girls too, but Ebba is much much closer to her anal area. I read that the boys little thing creeps up as they get older?? Does anyone know what age the hoglets can be sexed?

Most of them you can sex as newborns but on occasion there will be one that is questionable. I've had a few over the years that I swore changed sex on me.

From the picture, I'd say it's a boy. The spacing is too big for a girl but in another week or two, that may change as he/she grows.

Here are some new pictures of my little boys :) They are getting huge and prickly, lol! The little guy with the darker face mask was not feeling social this evening which is strange for him, so I will check on him later this evening, maybe he was just tired. Also the hoglets have been having more poo stuck to their bottoms, I've been wiping their bottoms with a paper towel dipped in warm water to clean them - I'm not sure if Hannah is starting to neglect her motherly duties or if they are supposed to start pooping on their own now... Both have been gaining weight steadily and seem very active.
IMG_3469.jpg

IMG_3430.jpg

IMG_3350.jpg

Look how big they are compared to Hannah. They certainly do grow up so quickly. They look great.

They are growing too quickly!!! Hannah is a small hedgie though only 346grams right now and only 200 something before having her hoglets. Their dad is a huge 565grams!!
Early this morning the hoglets were out and about testing Hannahs food and self-annointing. They think they are soooo grown up now LOL
(Please excuse the dirty bowls - I clean them and then turn my back and they are dirty again. Also Hannah needs a bath and that it due tonight!)
IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3709.jpg

Hannah guarding her food bowls
IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

IMG_3546.jpg

Thanks Leni :) It has been a hard but very rewarding process! And I think all three have homes now.... it will be hard to send them to their news homes in Janurary, but the people seem like they offer amazing homes so that helps! They will be sold with a no breeding contract (unless the payer buys the pedigree excluding Ebba and that the buyer can provide proof of a pedigreed breeding partner), and a contract that they will be returned to me should the new owner decide they no longer want the hedghog.
I love these little hoglets - they are so friendly and sooo curious. They are constantly tasting my fingers (and even my nose!) and then self-annointing :) But they are still clumbsy so they usually end up tipping themselves over, lol.

Back