My Hoglets :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovinHedgies

Here's a picture of my beautiful hoglets and their wonderful mother Hannah! The smallest one is the one with the leg issue in my previous thread. He is still going strong and getting bigger so my hopes are high for him. I have contacted a vet and am waiting for a quote on a leg amputation surgery for when he is older (I'm just saying "he" I really don't know what the hoglets are yet). And I will be keeping him unless there is a home that wants a "special needs" hedgie. I would only send him to a new home after his surgery and once he is fully recovered.
Anyways - enjoy the pic!!

Hoglets1.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen little baby hedgies. They look like spiky pencil toppers. Hehe.

They're cute! I'm keeping fingers crossed for your liitle one with the leg issue.

What cute little sugar-pumpkins! I do have a question though - do hedgie moms sit on their babies? If so... doesn't that hurt?

Well the underbelly of the mom is all soft fur so the babies are actually frequently all underneath of her sleeping or nursing. And when humans aren't around hedgies have their quills flat so they aren't poking up all the time. It is funny though - last night one of the hoglets popped into another one and upset it - I don't know if it was because of the quills or because it was a surprise, but it was hilarious. I really just want to hold one!!

Yep - my hannah sits on my lap all the time just relaxing and sometimes running around. Some people think that you have to wear gloves or use a towel to pick up hedgies, but Hannah allows me to just scoop her up, if I give her a minute to figure out who I am. I just lay my hand in her cage and she checks me out and then I pick her up. Harrold (the dad) can be more touchy depending on his mood, but he loves his baths!! He'll just chill out in the water with me holding him up :)

Jeanette: If you look at my first thread "Absolutely Thrilled" you can see a picture of his leg/front foot.
Update: The littlest hedgie is doing amazing! He is still half the size of the others, but he is growing and getting fat! His leg is now gone. I am unsure if Hannah chewed it off or if it was too diseased a fell off. Either way he now has a stub with a scab and it looks healthy! I am so happy this little one is doing so well!! (I was able to see his leg when Hannah was eating and I rolled him onto his back using a piece of the fleece from the cage.) I am hoping to get new pictures of all of them soon - they have grown so much and are starting to look like real hedgies - they will be two weeks old on Friday - time has flown!

That is great news! I've been keeping up with your threads, but since I don't know squat about hedgie breeding I didn't feel like I should chime in. I'm glad ALL the hoglets are doing so well! Good job!

That's great news! Can't wait to see pics of their progress. I too know squat about hedges but I've been following along. I'm thrilled to hear they are doing so well.

I'm glad to hear the stub is gone. It may have fallen off but often moms will chew it off. Either way, it's gone and that is good so it can start to heal.

Once you start handling them, you can start to supplement him. The problem with wee ones is as the others get bigger they start to crowd them off of the lunch bar and often empty mom of milk before they get there. You can also pull the bigger ones for some handling that allows him to get moms full attention and milk.

Any new pictures? :)

Latest posts

Back