My guilt complex

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my advice is the same as it was before, follow your heart! Your heart will tell you which kitty is the right one for you.

ok ok i know this story is about a dog not a cat but still...........

Now then, stop crying after reading that and tell your b/f it's all my fault i made you go rescue the kitty from the shelter

WTFFFF this just MADE ME BURST INTO TEARS

yeah I know I know, but it is SO moving!

Someone keeps posting it on the craigslist in my area once a month or so and I bawl every time I see and go hug a pet

Just throwing this out there....tabbies and black cats are the last to be adopted at shelters. I know this from being a member of several rescue forums and the rescue I participate with.

Just throwing this out there....tabbies and black cats are the last to be adopted at shelters. I know this from being a member of several rescue forums and the rescue I participate with.

Yeah, I've heard this too. In this area where I live Torties are also not very popular either. That's why I decided to take in Sasha when I found her.

Yes torties too, you are right. People want the more colorful cats.

Yellow tabbies are adopted but the grey and brown tabbies are overlooked.

Last edited:
I am trying to put off my decision until after I meet the petfinder cats. I kind of feel selfish for wanting Rolex because he's a Siamese, when these tabbies need me too. My dad told me I can't save them all, and it's true, but I still have a knot in my stomach thinking that I can only pick ONE cat.

I would appreciate any comments or advice you may have. I'll keep you posted, too.

I lost my very favorite cat to coyotes about five years ago. To say I was devastated was putting it mildly. My dad informed me that he saw a coyote run off with my baby...I refused to believe it and spent months searching the neighborhoods and surrounding hills for him. I wasn't sure if I could handle having another cat after losing him and any future cat would be 100% indoors (my dad has a tendency to "let them out").

I waited well over a year before going to a shelter. I went for a cat and found a dog...the next week I went back for the dog and didn't get him because of some stupid woman. While I was moping around in the cat room with my mom I looked down and found my kitty. I wanted a white female cat with blue eyes and brown spots...and there she was. All of 3 months old and perfect. I took her home a few days later and she's still here and evil. I didn't want another cat...but about a year later...a little white nearly dead kitten was brought into my vet office. She's evil...she saw me for a sucker and immediately started kneeding my face with her oversized polydactyl paws while purring.

I guess what I'm getting at is...for each of my cats, when we met I HAD to have them. There was absolutely no doubt in my mind that they were my cats. There was no question about whether or not I should take them home. I HAD to take them home...I wouldn't have been happy without them.

My cats usually find me somehow. I never seem to have the pleasure of picking one out lol. I always end up with the neediest and it works out well. My last kitty looked plain and drab in his photo. He was next to go into a gas chamber. I took a chance to save his life and he is one of my best cats here. He also turned out to be the most amazing blue grey color.

The cat you're meant to have will find you. You can't help it, really; cats just seem to realize we need them. ;) And your next cat will have the job of getting your boyfriend to like cats, so it might take a special recruit.

My cat picked me on a muggy, flea and mosquito-infested sidewalk when her dipstick brother/cousin/nephew (who knows how inbred that colony was!) decided to sleep in the middle of the road and we stopped to move him. Scooped him up, got to the sidewalk and a herd of (mostly calico) cats walked out to bum food. Tie and the male (brown tabby) were the smallest, all skin and bones, covered with fleas, and while they were all hungry, she didn't really approach anybody but me. The tabby boy was just an attention hog, but I took them to the vet thinking "evidence for the Humane Officer", not "I want the torti and Steve can take the tabby". As it stands, the guy driving that night has Rumble (all 13 pounds of him!) and Tie Dye claimed me. And thank any gods listening she did; I would not have gotten through the last year without her.

Shelter and rescue cats are amazing but they will 100% pick you when the time is right. Goood luck with your quest and you'll find him/her eventually.

Everyone is right, the cat will pick you and you'll know they're the right one. Sherlock was in a room full of cats at the shelter my husband and I visited and after looking around I took a seat at a little bench in the back of the room. None of the cats had seemed really interested in us, but as soon as I sat down he came out, looked right at me and sat on my lap like he knew that's where he belonged, and he's been amazing ever since. As for Sasha, someone dumped her in the parking lot, but she ended up next to my car meowing her little heart out. After nusrsing her back to health she is quite the little cuddlebug and Sherlock loves her as well. I wish you the best in your search and I'm sure you'll find the right one.

You'll know when the time is right and you'll know the cat when you find him/her. I too am a sucker for blue cross eyed kitties :)

It seems now that James the tabby may be the best choice. We won't be able to go get him until tomorrow, though.

I have a tabby cat that chose me. He was found as an older kitten outside of my work. I took him and gave him to my sister. Well, after a couple day I had to go pick him up because he kept going potty behind their toilet. He would not use the litter box. So I took him to my friends house and gave him to her. Well, after a couple days I had to go get him because he kept going potty in her plants. Again he would not use the litter box. So I was out of options so I just brought him home. 10 years later I still have him and he's always used the litter box like a champ for me. I hope it all works out and you can bring him home. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back