My guilt complex

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maia

Forever Weird
Sorry for this overemotional long post, I know that many of you have multiple species of pets though, and I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Some of you may remember my mentioning losing my 18 yr old cat in Jan of this year. It was the hardest time I've had in my life since we grew up together, I'm sure the only thing harder will be losing my parents, hopefully much later in the future! I adopted my chin boy a few weeks later because I always wanted a chin but I knew my very clingy cat would be jealous. He's a wonderful chin and I love him very much, but it was never my plan to NEVER get another cat, I have enough love for multiple pets. I thought I needed time to heal before bringing another cat into my life.

So it's been almost a year, and I can't say I'm much closer to healing now than I was then. Sometimes I still wake up in the morning and feel a lump by my side (that turns out to be a pillow or blanket lump) and reach down to pet it, thinking it's my cat, and split second later I remember he's been gone for a while. Some nights I go to bed after my bf is already asleep and his cat (who hates me) is curled up purring on his back. It hurts. Yesterday I read a short story about the loss of a cat (stupid of me, but I didn't know what it was about) and I burst into tears that lasted at least 20 mins.

So I don't really know if I should get another cat or not. I recently found an older cat on petfinder who needs a home after his owner went into a nursing home and the family dumped him at a vets to be euthanized. A local rescue has him now. He's a very large neutered male, just like my old cat was, and I'm very tempted. For the past few months I have been looking at shelter cats and rescues, and going to visit them because it makes me feel better to pet a friendly kitty. I know the bf does not want another cat, but he says we can adopt him if I want. He's been working very late on an important project recently and I have been very lonely. I really only work evenings and weekends.

I talked to my mom about it, because sadly I have no local friends (my best friend lives out of state and can't visit for a while because she had a seizure and can't drive) and she asked if I would rehome my chinchilla if I got another cat. I felt very upset at that question, because obviously I love my pets and would never get rid of them. That also seemed to insinuate that I only need one pet. So now I feel bad for wanting a new pet. My best friend told me to stop feeling bad and get the cat. But she has 5 cats herself so I have to take this with a grain of salt...

So, in short, I feel bad because the bf doesn't want another pet really, I haven't 'gotten over' my loss much at all, and my mom made me feel like it's silly to get another pet or that I couldn't give both (cat and chin) equal love.

Gosh Maia, I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're going through this. I don't think its silly to want another pet, or that you can't give multiple animals equal love. I think it is up to you whether you feel ready. Hopefully your boyfriend will support you when the time comes!

If you look at my signature, you will see I have A LOT of pets. In my opinion, the more the better. I love animals and they make me incredibly happy. It's wonderful to have companions who love you no matter what. I think it comes down to how much time you have available to give individual attention to your pets. Finances and unforseen emergencies factor in as well. Can you keep the chinchilla and cat separate so no accidents happen between them? Do what your heart tells you to do. If you are longing for another cat then you should get one. Chinchillas are incredibly wonderful pets, but they don't cuddle with us or sleep in bed with us like cats do. I can't imagine my life without any of my animals. In the end, the decision is yours.

Finances are not really an issue, I always keep certain amounts of money for animal emergencies, because I've had several of those in the past and it's best to be prepared. My bf also pays most of our bills. He works days and I work evenings and weekends, so I am at home quite a bit. We have the time and money, it's just an emotional issue really. I think I will call the cat rescue and arrange to meet the cat I mentioned. I do wish we had more space, but our lease is up in 6 months and we will be moving into a bigger place. Luckily the chinchilla cage is in an alcove in the wall that's inaccessible to a cat. There are no ledges for the cat to jump to.

You don't have to own an animal to give it love or help it. You can volunteer at shelters and rescues. Of course you'd have to think about whether or not that would be too emotionally taxing, as it is to a lot of people. But it's an option.

Don't feel guilty about wanting another animal. There's no reason to. I am more of a one-animal person, just because I kind of obsess over them and unfortunately having multiple animals doesn't make me obsess less, just more. Some people, like Jenn said, feel more at home with a whole herd of animals. Just depends how you feel and what you are able to do. But there's nothing that would stop you from being able to love other animals simultaneously.

My mom, rather wisely, now says she sees Chloe as an investment in my mental health because I do not really do well when I'm not around any animals. So figure out what would make you feel better, then factor other people in and see if you can come up with something everyone involved is willing to live with.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your kitty. ~hugs~

Follow your heart! It seems like your heart is telling you to rescue that sweet old tom cat that got dumped, I'd say do it.

Also I'd love to see a pic of how your chin cage is set up, that sounds very neat!!

Personally I think your honor your deceased pets memory by rescuing another in need. There are so many homeless animals that need love. You have love to give so use it! :) As long as you are in a stable situation, he/she will be fine. It's not like the cat or chinchilla will demand your attention ALL the time. Good luck.

I can say from the heart: Go and adopt someone who needs your love! Nobody will ever take the place of the baby you lost, how could they. 18 years is a long time to have a relationship. And there are so many out there that need homes and love.
I can guarantee having a new kitty to love will help your heart to heal. If you are "thinking" about it, you are ready to welcome someone new into your heart. Everyone deals with grief differently. I have friends that go out the day after losing a pet and get another, others wait till they are "found" by a new friend. There is no time limit, only love waiting to be given.

If you ever need a shoulder or wanna talk cats send me a pm. I LOVE cats, thus the reason I have so many!

Big hugs on the loss of your baby, I know how hard it is.

Do not feel guilty for wanting a companion of your own. 1) Your cat would not want you to be lonely. 2) We are meant to have family groups, and for many people that includes multiple animals. If the cat already there doesn't click well with you, and you've discussed it with your boyfriend and he's okay with you looking, by all means, go and look! When the time is right, your next cat will find/be shown to you.

My cat adopted me last year, less than a month before I was due to move up here to NY. What horrible timing, right? Just before a big, emotionally charged move and adjusting to a new state/home/job. So, for a while I told myself she was a foster and we just had to advertise her well enough... but she's currently curled up at the small of my back grooming/chewing my pony tail. It just took me a while to realize that while I love Crash and he loves me, humans get a different kind of companionship from cats and dogs (<-- I almost typed that "gods" lol). They've been domesticated longer; they've evolved to live side by side with us as we've turned into modern humans. Anybody that can't understand why you might want more than one companion or why you would miss that companionship after a lifetime with it and a full year without it needs to shut their pie hole! I'm convinced that being trapped in a dorm without a pet for 4 years is part of what led to my breakdown during college. The psychological benefits to pet ownership are somewhat remarkable, and more is learned about them every day.

Also, if it doesn't work out with this guy from Petfinder, maybe you can offer to foster parent for a rescue? Usually there's at least one "foster failure" that becomes an adoption, like Tie Dye, if you open your home and your heart to enough critters that need love.

ok ok I know this story is about a dog not a cat but still...........

I RESCUED A HUMAN TODAY
by Janine Allen

I rescued a human today.

Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering
apprehensively into the kennels.

I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her. I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn't be afraid.

As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident
I had in the back of my cage.

I didn't want her to know that I hadn't
been walked today. Sometimes the shelter keepers get too busy
and I didn't want her to think poorly of them.

As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about
my past. I only have the future to look forward to and want to make
a difference in someone's life.

She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me.

I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her.

Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship.

A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well.

Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms. I would promise to keep her safe. I would promise to always be by her side.

I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes.

I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor. So many more are out there who haven't walked the corridors.

So many more to be saved. At least I could save one.

I rescued a human today​

Now then, stop crying after reading that and tell your b/f it's all my fault I made you go rescue the kitty from the shelter

Aw, thank you everyone for your support! I really, really appreciate it like you don't even know. That poem was too sweet!!
The bf and I are going to meet the cat from petfinder on Thursday, it's the soonest we both can go. Hopefully we click, online it says he's a "big teddy bear" so I'm hopeful.

Oh, and fostering was mentioned. I would absolutely LOVE to be a cat foster mom one day. It would be against our current apartment's rules to have more than 2 cats. When I lived at home with my parents, we fostered a mother cat and her 3 kittens. They all found loving homes, including the mother cat who turned out to have FIV. One day, after we move and are settled elsewhere, I'd love to do that again.

Good luck with the kitty Maia! I am hoping he comes home with you :thumbsup:

The meeting didn't go as well as it could have. He seemed to be feeling nippy and he hissed once. I don't know if he was just upset because he was in a room full of other cats, or if he was feeling a bit drunk from the catnip laying around. We will be going back on Saturday to see if he's feeling any better. If not, though, there are many other cats out there. There's always the spca too.

Sorry it didn't go as planned Maia, could you bring him into your home for a few days to see if his temperament would change in a better setting?

It's a shame they don't have a separate room for introductions. The other cats could definitely be making him irritated. Definitely omit the catnip at the next meeting. I have as cat that gets a bit nippy when on it LOL.

Keep in mind that cats don't instantly "love" sometimes. The best animals I have owned have been rescues with troubled past...ones that learned to trust me over time. Plus you never know...you could bring him home and within a week he could be the best cat ever.

Keep in mind that cats don't instantly "love" sometimes. The best animals I have owned have been rescues with troubled past...ones that learned to trust me over time.

I agree. To be honest though--I have a feeling it won't matter who you adopt, you'll end up loving them and they'll be perfect for you anyways.

It didn't work out with the first cat. He was being nippy again when we visited the second time, so we just had to say no. I'm sure he'll find a good home, he is a beautiful Siamese mix.

In more recent news, I found some other cats on petfinder whose rescues I contacted and who I should be meeting this week.
One is another Siamese mix (named Rolex), my boy I had for 18 years was a Siamese and I have a soft spot in my heart for their loud nature and crossed eyes.
The other petfinder cat is a tabby named Winston who was found outside and is very talkative and friendly. I didn't know at first, but the rescue told me when I contacted them that they estimate Winston to be around 8 years old. I had planned not to adopt any older than 6 years, because Marla (the bf's cat) is 8 and it would be nice not to have 2 geriatric cats at the same time. Any thoughts?
We also visited the local spca Saturday, and I saw a very very sweet tabby named James. He was just rubbing all over me and purring like crazy. Maybe I shouldn't have gone to the shelter, now I feel like I should adopt him instead of a rescue cat because he's basically on death row. He is a sweetie.

I am trying to put off my decision until after I meet the petfinder cats. I kind of feel selfish for wanting Rolex because he's a Siamese, when these tabbies need me too. My dad told me I can't save them all, and it's true, but I still have a knot in my stomach thinking that I can only pick ONE cat.

I would appreciate any comments or advice you may have. I'll keep you posted, too.

Back