my first month with gizmo! pics too!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luci

Gizmo's roommate
first off, i cannot express how grateful i am to have found this site and seen advice from all the members. you all are an amazing bunch of people and have made my first month with gizmo easier. my boyfriend and i got gizmo a month ago right before the bf shipped off to basic training for the national guard. i miss him soooo much but since gizmo is our baby, i feel closer to him. when robert (bf) first left, i started thinking of what military girlfriend/wife support forum to join. but then found myself googleing chins more often and found this site. needless to say, i still havent found the military support group yet but i feel like having gizmo and the CnH family is all the support i need right now. so thank you so much to all of you who have answered my questions about cuddle buddies, furniture rearranging, and most recently, my ac problems. i know i'll keep asking questions. i find myself here more than facebook hehe (yep, im a college student-that means gizmo goes to cool parties!).

so my first month with him...more than i expected for sure! i have now adapted to 70* temperatures when i usually prefer being warm, ive driven 45 min just to switch out bath dust, and i now sleep through the sounds of him rearranging furniture and playing in his wheel (yes, he and i are roommates). i constantly stare at him and check his ears and i let him chew the tips of the letters i write to robert saying "gizmo says hi". i am IN LOVE. i dont think i can explain to anyone but you all the joy and happiness i experience from having him. i still worry and am paranoid if he lays on his side or barks in the middle of the night. but he is, no doubt, the best. he loves to distract me from school work (but thank goodness i got him in the summer so i have more time to experience trial and error) and has caused me to clean every inch of my room every other day, but i love him! im posting pics of him so everyone can see him. thank you all for your continued support and the welcoming spirit!

us together
picture.php

zoom zoom!
picture.php

with his dad
100_1692.jpg

his cage at first (i still need a lot of renovations-suggestions welcome!)
100_1693.jpg

curious
DSCN0130.jpg

more pics in my album!
thank you all again! talk to you later! ♥

I love the photo of Gizmo and you together! How did you get that one. Chins are so quick. I am glad he is giving you some company while your boyfriend is away. You must be so proud of your boyfriend. Give him a big o'l thank you from me for serving his country. (both the chin and the bf are cute.... got yourself good ones there)

He's adorable!

Regarding the cage, I had that exact same one when I first got my chin. I'd recommend taking the ramps out of it - not only can their feet potentially get caught (causing broken legs, etc) but my little man managed to somehow pull the ramps completely off while I was gone one afternoon: I came home to the ramps just sitting loose in the cage at odd angles. I was so scared he'd hurt himself in the process, but he was perfectly fine. It might take him a day or two to get used to jumping on and off the shelves, but he'll catch on. :)

Good lord that picture of you with Gizmo is PRICELESS! I mean how perfect is that??! He is such a cutie! The only suggestion I have for the cage is remove the plastic and replace with wooden shelves and ledges, it's like a sturdy place they can stand, sit and lay on and CHEW!

Gizmo is adorable and I'm glad you have him with you to keep you company while your bf is away. Like the others, I really love that first pic of you and Gizmo together! What a great shot!

Aw great story, thanks for sharing! Your Gizmo is one lucky chin to have found such doting chin parents. He is adorable and the pics you've shared are awesome! My suggestions are for you to keep an eye on any plastic in the cage, if it's being chewed by Gizmo, then it needs to go. Chins don't need ramps, they love to hop and jump also I've read that they can cause injury as a leg getting broken on them. Is the wheel at least 15"? You may want to get a chin spin or something similar as anything less that 15" is not good for a chin's spine/back plus chin spins are super quiet. Other than that he sure looks like one happy chinnie. Congratulations!

I agree that the picture with you and Gizmo is awesome! He looks like he's totally posing for the camera!! I'm glad you have him to talk to when you are missing your bf!!

yay i love sharing pics!!!
i was able to get him to pose with me by laying on the floor already having the camera pointed at me. i just waited til he came out from under the bed and snapped it right away. im pretty much a creeper to him, im like his paparazzi hehe.

and great suggestions for the cage. ive noticed he mostly hops onto his shelves instead of climbing up them (unless hes carrying a wood chew in his mouth) but i have been meaning to get to home depot to ask them to make me some shelves. should i do that or just buy them pre-made from other suppliers?

and omg is the chin spin really more quiet?!?! cuz that would be amazing. i dont think my bf and i were thinking when we got him the plastic wheel, of course the spoke will eventually start poking him. he's still pretty small so it doesnt hit him yet but hes growing a bit.
i was also thinking of getting a flying saucer. how big are they? his cage is about 16x32. how much room do flying saucers take up? or is the chin spin quieter than that? i have roommates who can hear him at night. hehe.

i'll keep posting more as time goes by and definitely get a pic of him and his dad when he comes home- sept 25th :'(

He really is a great chin, such a ham! Your boyfriend is very cute, and I can't imagine how much you miss him. I know how much having a few chins around can help, I deal with lots of health problems and know matter what they are there to make me forget and feel better. They have broughten my husband and I closer together, and I credit them for us getting married to begin with! He witnessed a birth, and ever since was that chins "daddy". He now has 115 babies and a few very special ones. Gizmo is actually the name of one of those very special chins, my first kit!

Adorable pics, especially the first one!!

We had that same cage before upgrading to a Ferret Nation, and the Chin Spin fits in just fine - and is definitely more quiet than the saucers.

omg that pic of you and gizmo is so cute!!! i love his expression!!! priceless!!!

Latest posts

Back