My Chins are mad at me!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RedSkyAtNight

Hi - I'm new and bought the chins from a breeder in Fredericksburg, VA about 4 months ago, so I guess they are 6 or 7 months old. Everything was going great. My bf would open the cage and they'd hop out on his shoulder and onto the floor until they hopped back in their cage. They'd come over and look at me everytime I'd talk to them. I scrubbed down the cage every two weeks. It was all good.

The other day, they hopped out, but we weren't really in the mood to let them play long, so we put them back in the cage. One of them bite him lightly on his finger.

The next day I had to clean the cage. I put them in balls so I don't have to watch them. One went in the ball, but the other wanted nothing to do with it and tried to bite me when I finally got her.

Now, it seems like they are sulking in their houses and hop away when I talk to them, although, they still snatch treats out of my hand readily.

I don't want them to be unhappy. How long will they be mad at me?

Well first of all, I'm assuming you are talking about the plastic enclosed run around balls. PITCH THEM. They are dangerous to your chins' health and can result in them overheating. Plus, I'm sure you wouldn't like to be shoved in a ball and have to roll around in your own urine/poop. The reason you got bit was probably because the chin didn't want to go in the ball because she doesn't like it.

I'm sure they'll get over it eventually. But like I said, pitch the balls..not only do chins not enjoy them, they are dangerous and can result in death.

Well, that stinks that the balls aren't good. :( I usually have to clean the cage on weekends and can't let them run around in the house while I'm outside scrubbing the cage.

What do you do with the chins when you clean the cage?

Yeah the balls are no good. I've noticed they tend not to hold grudges though so give her some time and she will most likely be back to her usual self! I'd just keep talking to them and let them come to you and everything. Also be sure to moderate the treats, It works to just hand them their food pellets if you really want to "treat" them.

I second the above. The plastic balls cause overheating, which often leads to death, not to mention their little toes might get stuck.

As for them being mad, it could be a result of being stuck in those balls, or perhaps you moved something around in their cage/play area or they aren't getting enough play time or enough dust baths or they want more food or more toys or who knows what. Chins can sulk for the silliest and littlest reasons. They're just like little kids sometimes. I'm sure they'll get over it.

Well, that stinks that the balls aren't good. :( I usually have to clean the cage on weekends and can't let them run around in the house while I'm outside scrubbing the cage.

What do you do with the chins when you clean the cage?

Have you made a play room or play area for them? That's what I do for playtime, as well as for when I clean their cages.

If you don't have a chin-proofed area, invest in a carrier for them. You can find cat carriers at WalMart for fairly cheap.

You can put them in a animal playpen while your cleaning. thats what i do

lol mine goes into the playpen where they have a human babysitter until im finished. do toss the balls and there are many other ways to keep your chin busy while you clean just need some creativity

Everyone keeps suggesting a chin-safe play area while you clean. I just want to say that ONLY offer this option if you have someone who can watch the chins and keep an eye on them while you're busy outside.

Either I put them in a pet carrier or I have my daughter watch them in their play area, while I clean their cage. I HAVE to clean my 2 boys' cage at least once a week. Once I didn't clean their cage for almost 2 weeks (because I had a horrible flu bug) and my daughter was helping me care for them and she came to me and said "mom, their cage smells like monkey poo, and I think their mad (cuz this was the only time one of them "barked") about that. I don't know, but it may be something to think about.

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I'll look into the cat carrier since I don't have much room and usually don't have anyone to watch them.

It had been two weeks since I cleaned their cage and they went into their little funk before I put them in the ball, so maybe they were a little mad at the mess. It didn't smell, but I was sweeping up more poo than normal from outside their cage.

I only give them treats a couple times a week, at most. When they were upset, I offered one and they snatched it right up.

They seem to be a little happier now. Thanks again.

Everyone says a cat carrier, my chins HATE those things. I got a smaller cage and decorated it up for them. The boys love it though. It's like their home away from home.

When I suspected my rescue Bubbles of being pregnant I ordered 2 maternity/kit proof cages online and that's what I put my chins in while cleaning their cages. I didn't order 2 seperate ones, it was a 2 in 1 with a welded wire divider and it's great. They go ahead and hop around inside of it and have a ball. I only paid about...$35.00 for it so it's good.
You could also put them in a carrier while cleaning, that's what I used to do when I just had one.
Sometimes chins just get moody. Might be puberty, I've heard of chins as young as 9 weeks on a different thread having their first heat cycle. Aiko would became gloomy and weird acting in her first heat cycle, Doofie just...Stayed the same ol' Doofie. Just give them a bit of time. What kind of treats are you feeding btw? There's a lot of 'chin treats' pet stores offer that aren't very good =[ But rose hips are great! A lot of people on here sell them. Good luck with your babies!

Sometimes chins just get moody. Might be puberty, I've heard of chins as young as 9 weeks on a different thread having their first heat cycle. Aiko would became gloomy and weird acting in her first heat cycle, Doofie just...Stayed the same ol' Doofie. Just give them a bit of time. What kind of treats are you feeding btw? There's a lot of 'chin treats' pet stores offer that aren't very good =[ But rose hips are great! A lot of people on here sell them. Good luck with your babies!

My kids are gonna be teenagers soon, so I guess practicing with a chinchilla will do me good. :wink3: At what age do they normally start puberty? chinchillas, not kids.

I give them rosehips, cheerios and whole grain, slow cook, oats. The also like to eat Timothy Hay from my hand. I have some Critter Berries that they've had maybe twice. The breeder gave us some horse, apple thing that we break apart and offer too.

They are back to their old selves now. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

I use a small cage that has a dust bath in it. That way I can kill 2 birds with one stone. Bathing and cleaning. Works great for me.

I know that mine get in a funk if there cages arent cleaned the day they are supposed to be! So that may be why they were in a mood!

Latest posts

Back