My chin shedding so much..

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evelyn

I don't wanna say so bad because I don't know if its bad. His fur still looks very healthy though. Is it normal for them to lose their fur?

Right now mine is going through a sort of seasonal shed called "priming". They essentially lose a lot of fur in a short amount of time, often in little tufts that make their sides and back look sort of chunky. Does that sound like what your chin has happening right now?

Yea its most likely just blowing fur. Its normal so dont be alarmed. If you have a coarse grooming comb I would use that. It will help remove the dead hair and allow room for the new hair to grow in.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea its probably just a blowing fur. Its not that much and its surely doesn't look like hes gonna go bald. I just wanna make sure other chins do the same :) I'm thinking of getting a comb though since I don't want the them trigger my allergy. Anyone has recommended place to buy them? Does chin likes it when you comb them?

I tend to offer a bath one more time a week than I usually do (so 3 at the most) instead of combing while he's out of prime. I don't see the sense in investing $20-$40 in a show comb when he's not a show animal. I usually run the vacuum an extra couple of times a week to keep the fur and bath dust under control and let him shed on his own.

Buttons sheds too. when i was holding her tonight her fur was jsut comming out and i was holding her. like the other girl said she's not bald . she just is shedding it's not alot of fur just a lil clump .. I give them a dust bath twice a week and that is when thier chage is getting cleaned. what will a dust bath do to thier fur with it falling out?

Last edited:
I'm not so great at grooming not like the breeders are--so mine don't really enjoy a good combing lol! Leonard is the chin I have who sheds the most. What I do with him is before allowing him to bathe I scrub him down with my hands--I run my hands up and down his fur, gently pull out the tufts I see sticking up then I give him a bath. This seems to work really well for both he and I as he enjoys the petting from me. Except his rump! He has the sweetest little kack when you touch his rumper!

I don't know many chins who like their rumper being touched. :p

For me, my white shed a fair amount. More than anything though, my violet is shedding a TON. I believe he is priming, so hopefully it will lesson up a bit in the winter.

My ricky has been shedding since the beginning of june, constantly, little white balls of fur in his cage. But he is not bald. So I would think its normal and heat related maybe.

Latest posts

Back