My chin got his foot stuck in the cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SSGSteane

I have a wired cage and today my chin somehow got his foot stuck and was dangling upside down from his foot for about 2 seconds. I quickly released him but now he has a limp. Anyone know any vets offices in cali? near los angeles? I need to take him to a vet immediately.

He has a very bad limp and is just laying in the corner. He seems like hes in a lot of pain.

Last edited:
I only know that there is 1 in Yorba Linda that is open 24 hrs. The vet I go to is close on Wednesday & re=opens Thursday morning.

I only know that there is 1 in Yorba Linda that is open 24 hrs. The vet I go to is close on Wednesday & re=opens Thursday morning.

anything I can do to help him with the pain until I can get him to a vets office?

There is one in Santa Barbara. If you need to come down and don't want to make the long trip back I can get you a room at my hotel for realllllly cheap.

just kidding...I just looked up to see where Yorba Linda was and it's closer. let me know if you do need my vet info though and good luck!

Last edited:
I found a place open, they don't usually take exotic pets but they said I can bring them and have a look. I also got a number to an animal hospital that takes exotics but they won't be open till morning. He seems to be doing better now, he was on the ledge jumped off awkward and is now eating and slowly moving around. Should I take him to the emergency vets office now or wait till morning and have him looked at and taken care of?

He's even on his wheel.

Last edited:
If you don't take him in this evening you need to make sure he is in a cage where he can't jump. He should be in a single level cage just in case there is bruising or a break in his leg. Make sure he is eating and drinking--if he stops that is very bad. I would definitely make sure you get him to the vet in the morning.

Also, he shouldn't be using a wheel. He should be in a small cage or carrier so that he cannot move around much.

If you don't take him in this evening you need to make sure he is in a cage where he can't jump. He should be in a single level cage just in case there is bruising or a break in his leg. Make sure he is eating and drinking--if he stops that is very bad. I would definitely make sure you get him to the vet in the morning.

He is drinking and eating as I type this. He still has a heavy limp but is acting much better then earlier. What are some signs of a broken leg?

Hes still using his legs to scratch himself.

Last edited:
Menagerie good point about the wheel! I forgot the wheel. There are obvious signs of a broken leg, like the bone sticking out of the leg, but there also might be no signs either that's why the only way to tell is an xray. I'm not sure on the cost of an xray so I can't help you out there. He could just have some bruising on his foot or let where it got caught. I would think obvious signs of a break would be not being able to move the leg at all or hop or walk on it.

Menagerie good point about the wheel! I forgot the wheel. There are obvious signs of a broken leg, like the bone sticking out of the leg, but there also might be no signs either that's why the only way to tell is an xray. I'm not sure on the cost of an xray so I can't help you out there. He could just have some bruising on his foot or let where it got caught. I would think obvious signs of a break would be not being able to move the leg at all or hop or walk on it.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, hes scratching himself with his legs and limping has gotten a bit better so I don't think its broken thankfully. I will get him x rayed and hopefully its a sprain at worst.

The cost of an xray really varies with each vet. It can be anywhere from $50-$150+. Good luck and hope your baby isn't injured too badly.

I agree, there's really no way to know without the xrays. The same thing happened to Kokomo and he just had some inflammation, but about a month later he jumped to the floor from 3-4 feet up and ended up with 2 fractures. There was definitely a difference in how he acted each time... he favored the leg both times, but when he actually broke it, he was much less active and his appetite significantly decreased. I have a suspicion that the first incident may have weakened the bone even though it didn't show on the xrays... so make sure they look carefully for any breaks. Good luck at the vet... hopefully it's not broken and they can just give him some pain meds while he heals up. Keep us updated!

On CNG we had a thread that listed chin vets in different states, does anyone now if that was brought over, or if not can we do it again. I think it's a great idea, especailly in a case like this.

Jean

Hes doing better, eating and drinking and using his leg to scratch himself but still limping. I made an appointment for 7:30am tomorrow, however the lady told it its going to be $300 for x rays and $150 for the general check up so I am trying to find another place who won't charge me so much.

This happened last night and you're not taking him in until tomorrow? Poor chin :(

If it is broken, him moving around on it is only going to make it worse.

I would keep calling around and see if you can get him in somewhere today for an xray..

This happened last night and you're not taking him in until tomorrow? Poor chin :(

If it is broken, him moving around on it is only going to make it worse.

I would keep calling around and see if you can get him in somewhere today for an xray..

that was the earliest they had. I called about 10 different places and that was the only place that would take exotic pets.

Latest posts

Back