Mini Bust-25 Chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW!

We've had quite an outpouring of offers for adoption, foster, and other assistance!
Thank you all so much for your help! Several families and individuals are scheduled to come out tonight, tomorrow and Saturday. I think by the end of the weekend, many of the chins will be in homes that can absolutely spoil them.

For those who have asked, we're currently using the new Purina Show pellets and our paypal info can be found dirrectly through the donations page on our website.
Thanks again for all the well wishes and encouragement.

Oh wow! You have no idea how hard I am resisting driving to your house right now and taking every single one home with me!!!
Good for you for taking all these chins in. I still don't know how you do it.

If there's a need, I do my best to fill it.
But seriously folks, I couldn't do all this without your assistance. I'm merely a hub for the chins to find more permanent homes.

Which reminds me, I woke up to find donations notifications. :D
My humble thank you for those.

The only pressing needs we have are to move the chins into larger holding cages. I was able to get a few from Alex, in Richmond. Including a 3 hole run. (Thanks buddy!) We adopted out a pair last night, so we have another FN open to help the new ones spread out a bit. At least 6 are slotted to go out today.
Wish us luck!

Actually, I am from Fredericksburg, and do attend shows when I can, which is admittedly not as often as I'd like. With my father dying after a prolonged illness and having to take over the family business, I haven't had the flexibility to travel. That doesn't mean I, and other breeders like me, don't strive to produce quality animals, bought from quality breeders (most of my animals are Whitewoods, Ryerson, or Ritterspach breeding stock, and I paid a pretty penny to get them).

However, I think in this case, (and no, I am not the person in question here), the person was trying to be helpful by taking in rescues so they didn't end up in shelters, and got in over her head. The end was not desirable, but the desire behind it came from a good place. Most of the chins surrendered were rescue chins, so no, they should absolutely not be used for breeding.

Whimsy, I am available to railroad for you up north if you need it.

That is why when we see someone getting CL chins right and left and going from 0-20+ chins in a couple of months the forum becomes concerned that it is not a rescue situation but a hoarding situation.

Tiffany came tonight to help lighten the load by 8 chins. If anyone is in the NC area and wants to help, there would be a good place to start.

Thanks Tiff!

We've also rehomed a pair last night and have a couple families due to come adopt tomorrow. Please cross paws for good outcomes there.

Just a question... How many of these chins are being kept in a central location for quarentine, and to monitor females for pregnancy?

Shouldn't they be kept in one place for 30days or so to insure they are healthy and not pregnant before being adopted out/transported to various people?

I appreciate what you've done--I think its great someone took a stand and is helping these critters..but what about the adopters and insuring they are getting healthy/non pregnant animals?

Just a question... How many of these chins are being kept in a central location for quarentine, and to monitor females for pregnancy?

Shouldn't they be kept in one place for 30days or so to insure they are healthy and not pregnant before being adopted out/transported to various people?

I appreciate what you've done--I think its great someone took a stand and is helping these critters..but what about the adopters and insuring they are getting healthy/non pregnant animals?

Thanks for the concern, Megan

There were only three females in the entire bunch. They are being monitored for pregnancy and are not available for adoption.

Most of the chins were single males. Tiffany has pitched in to help manage the bunch by taking in a number of them. Yes, they are under quarantine away from the other chins.

Potential adopters are fully aware of the situation involving the Northern Virginia chin dump and are rising to help by taking in a chin in need. We do have a screening and adoption process and will only allow visibly healthy chins to be adopted.

In a situation like this, where it would be ideal to hold them in quarantine for a full 30 days before adoption, is just not realistic at this time.

With that being said, if you would like to volunteer to take a few to quarantine and evaluate for a month or more, I'd be happy to hook you up with them. :thumbsup:

I ended up with single males and they're all going in quarantine in my home for 30 days. I have no other chins in my home, everyone else is in the barn. Whimsy has the rest in a quarantine room at this time.

Back