Milo :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have, a few times. Head infections are very hard to get rid of and often take long term antibiotics to get rid of them. Osteomylitis is something that malo chin owners have to deal with, its the worst case scenario in a head infections and treatment can be lifetime antibiotics.

Last edited:
since monday! My next appointment is in 3 weeks. He wants to re check then and she if shes doing better.

Ear infections are not something to be taken lightly, the chin needs the big guns even though its young for the chance of a good outcome. If the infection gets into the bones of the ear, osteomylitis, then the outcome is very poor. Its a bad situation all around but since the vet is the one who has seen the chin, the diagnosis and treatment is reasonable for the situation, I don't think we should beat up the OP about it by questioning the vets treatment plan.

I wasn't beating anyone up, I was just asking questions.

The last time I dealt with this with a young chin was about seven years ago. The little guy was about the same age, maybe a little older. He was on antibiotics for two weeks and he did stabilize and act better, but he did keep the head tilt to this day. Other chins have come in with ear infections and generally the infection clears up in a much shorter time than a month - that's just what I have seen.

I am not really questioning the vet, but Milo hasn't been completely clear on so much and took a very long time to get the chin into the vet. At this point I am very worried for this little chinchilla. I've had quite a bit of experience with the same problem she has had with this chinchilla. I've had several people over the years dump off chins that have ear infections and have not gone to the vet. Most of them have set in and the whole thing is permanent - I have one right now that cocks her head slightly to the side because her owner ignored it. This is a situation where it is an emergency and vet care must be sought immediately.

At this point I would say that Milo should probably be seeing the vet every week to check the progress. Baytril may not be the best antibiotic for the chin's problem. Sometimes it's necessary to go to something else that may get into the ear better. That's usually what my vets here have done in the past.

I would not stress out the chin or the owner by weekly visits, one week IMO is not enough time to see any results at all, in any head infection. Not much more to say about this until more time passes to see if she improves.

I didn't see anywhere that Susan was beating up on the OP, she's just been asking questions to get a clear picture of what is going on and giving advice based on her experience.

353g is normal for a 10 to 12 week old chinchilla. Though honestly, I'm still confused on her actual age.

Baytril can stunt bone growth in chinchillas that are still growing so Milo will probably not get much bigger than she is now. There isn't much you can do about that, though. Baytril is the best option for treating an inner ear infection, you have to hit them hard and fast.

I don't know about a 20 day treatment of Baytril, that seems a bit excessive. Maybe in an older animal, but younger animals heal a lot faster and better than older animals. Plus, with the bone growth stunting, I would want her on the baytril for as short a period of time as possible.

Just a FYI, according to the FDA its only certain small to medium dogs of certain breeds that have the issue with bone growth, kittens do not. So we are extrapolating information based on one species and painting a broad stroke to incorporate others. I will assume there is not information out there on if it actually effects chinchilla kits.

Just a FYI, according to the FDA its only certain small to medium dogs of certain breeds that have the issue with bone growth, kittens do not. So we are extrapolating information based on one species and painting a broad stroke to incorporate others. I will assume there is not information out there on if it actually effects chinchilla kits.

I believe there is as my vet has told me several times not to give baytril to growing kits because it can stunt there growth. I'm not sure exactly where it is, but when it comes to our chins is best to err on the side of caution. We also have a few members with young chinchillas that were given baytril and stopped growing thereafter.

FYI, I am not telling the OP to stop using baytril. This is just a "be warned" note, that your chinchilla will probably not get much larger and limiting the time on baytril would be in her best interest.

I have to say I would not be happy giving Baytril for an extended period of time, I certainly would not use it in kits under 6 months, & my chinchilla competent vet would not prescribe it. Whether the scientific community has "proven" problems in chinchilla kits or not, it is not a risk I would be prepared to take, especially when there is anecdotal evidence from people who have used it in chin kits & seen effects.
Personally my first line choice even in kits is Septrin - If it were me I would definitely discuss the treatment of this kit with the vet again...........

Last edited:
I'm really glad that Milo is hopefully recovering!!

Annie's idea is a very good one. I have a list of dates of vet appointments with test results, reasons for visits etc, a shortened list of her weights from her weight notebook and anytime she was sick (dates and sickness info) and I was able to deal with it at home on the piece of paper that my vet and emergency vet info is on. It makes it easier having all the info on one piece of paper so if I have to get up and go to the vet in an emergency, I can just grab the paper, read the directions to the e-vets and drive without worrying about missing something or forgetting about any pertinent info.

I don't know anything about the antibiotics, so I can't give you any advice about that but I'm just seconding Annie's suggestion!!

Good luck nursing Milo back to health, hope she makes a quick recovery!

It just has me wondering. You know how when people take lets say amoxicilin and we're suppose to take it for the 30 days we become immune to it. Well it works the same way with animals. If I stop giving Milo her meds before shes supposed to be off them, If she needs Baytril in the future for another problem that she could have then it won't work. I know its a big risk. But my vet is a chinchilla vet. Even if it means that she won't be growing anymore or there are other risk for this. I just want Milo healthy. Whatever happens happens. I'm not gonna get ride of her just because of some problem that becomes permanet! I'm not that kind of person, I will prepare myself for whatever happens from here on out.

When you stunt the healthy growth of an animal, especially bone growth, it opens a huge window for health problems down the line related to bones and bone growth. Since malo is a huge worry with chinchillas and also has to do with bone growth, this is not something to be taken lightly.

The thing that's been recommended is to at least talk to your vet about the choice of medications. You are not a vet so it's not up to you to say if one treatment would be better over another. Vets sometimes have busy days and don't think of all the possibilities and usually jump to the first solution which is often baytril for the inexperienced chinchilla vet.

If you don't use an antibiotic for the proper length of time it doesn't create an immunity in animals, but it can cause an antibiotic resistent bacteria. No one is telling you to stop giving this medicine...all we are saying is to discuss this with your vet and see if he/she doesn't think a milder antibiotic will be safer for such a young chinchilla. I'd be happy to give your vet my vet's email and phone number so she can talk at length with an experienced chinchilla vet on why baytril is not the best choice for young animals.

I had to give my Dexter oral Baytril, for a nasty ear infection that spead and involved a facial nerve when he was a kit. He was a petstore chin so I can't say for sure how old he was but he was around 350 grams.

It was quite a battle with lots of handfeeding, and keeping him moving when he wanted to just lay, and lots of just plain willing him to live. It took a month before it was clear that he was in fact healing properly, but today he is a healthy, happy 2 1/2 year old, 613gram chinnie.

It sometimes takes some time for them to quit eating so just be prepared to help him as best you can if it comes to that.

milo,
i think the reason a few members are concerned about the treatment length is because your chin is so young and baytril is so strong. ive given baytril to Gizmo twice, once for a tooth infection, and another for when he lost a tooth. in both cases, i give it no longer than a week and for the missing tooth, i talked to a few of the forum members about giving baytril. i discontinued giving it because its too big of an antibiotic to just give. im not well versed on many of the medications used for chins, but considering the age, and the concern of other members who have experience, i (personally) would go back to my vet. susan mentioned another drug and id definitely look into that instead.

my train of thought is this: why give a powerful drug for 30 days (and take a risk), when another member has had good results with another, safer drug?

im just saying what i would do. this community is a learning community and i value the opinions of more experienced owners.

Can we have someone ask the Chin Vet here what are her thoughts rather than from second hand sources?

I did not see anyone give second hand sources. I have personally seen chinchillas with stunted growth after being given baytril. I've had two cases of kits in my herd over the past eight years that were prescribed baytril before the vets or I knew better and neither ever grew over 450g. Siblings from the same, past and future litters all weighed well over 750g into adulthood.

My vet has seen first hand chinchillas with stunted growth after being given baytril. He says it's not safe for young chinchillas. I trust my vet. If he won't even prescribe baytril for growing chinchillas, that says a lot.

Back