mickey is dying :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chinchillalover0927

to many chin chips??
i didnt post this in the emergency section due to the fact that there is nothing that can be done.
We just came home from hanging out with our friends and my boyfriend called me crying his eyes out. Mickey was dying. Mickey was one of our first few chins.
So my boyfriend brought him over here for me to say good bye to him and give him kisses to tell him how much we loved him. I actually have him at my house now because my boyfriend has work in the early am and cant bring himself to bury him either. He is on his way to rainbow bridge so everyone please give him prayers and wishes to pass quickly. I can tell he is trying to come. Its a matter of minutes now.
I have him in my bathroom incase it is something that is contagious. I plan on bringing him to the vet tom to get that thing done, dont know what its called sorry, to see what happened to him..

here is mickey :(
389186271.jpg

May your journey over the Rainbow Bridge be a swift one, Mickey! You will have many friends waiting to guide you over the bridge, as you transition to a world filled with love, all the chew toys you can imagine and all the chinny friends who have passed before you!

I personally could no sit and watch one of mine die and since I am not a vet I would take the chin to be at least diagnosed and put down. I am sorry Micky this happeded to you.

Last edited:
Courtney how do you know there is nothing the vet could have done? What happened to Mickey? If there was enough time to take him between houses I would think there was enough time to take him to the emergency vet to at least be looked at and if nothing else, put down so he wouldn't have to suffer....

Mickey I'm sorry you had to suffer a slow death....hopefully you aren't suffering anymore as it has been almost 9 hours since this was posted...

mickey died a few after brandon brought him over.. and WHY bring him to get looked at when he was taking his last breathes.. im not animal stupid, my mother has worked at vets for 7-8 years and i also have worked there and been around animals my entire life. Our vet is an hour away.... he wouldnt have made it that long sorry.There was nothing that could be done for him he was dying. Sorry that we were not home to catch it earlier or we would have brought him to the vet. I really dont need you all to tell me that what i did was wrong, i just lost a chinchilla .... so seriously thats alot of nerve to even say things like that. sorry

he is getting a neocropsy(sp) done today... so we are trying to figure out what happened to him. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Brandon should have brought him to a vet-if you breed, have chins or any living thing under your care you bring that animal to a vet, not bring it to your girlfriends house. With as many chins as you have you should find a local vet that can at least put a suffering animal down. I am not sure why you thought there would be sympathy for not taking a chin to a vet and just letting it die without diagnosis, it does not matter if you or your mom work in a vets office, the chin should have at least been on the way to a vet.

I hope you figure out what happened so you can have some closure. I'm very sorry your chinchilla passed on, but at least you were there to make him comfortable any way you could. Let us know the results of the necropsy, if you don't mind.

Sorry for your loss. I can't imagine it being easy losing a chinny.

Hopefully you get some answers with the necropsy.

I was driving to the vet (almost there) when the doctor called me to tell me that my chin had passed. It was a month ago. Your post made me cry.

I'm so sorry.

How long was the chin sick before he passed? Was it extremely sudden? Was anything coming out of his nose or mouth when he died? (Sorry to ask questions...I hope the necropsy yields a cause of death...)

no,
he was fine when we left. brandon dropped me off then went home and found him laying at the bottom of his cage gasping for breathe, by that time it was already to late so he rushed to my house so i could see him before he passed...

there was NOTHING wrong with him, it was just sudden... nothing around his eyes or mouth. he looked fine, he was just dying :( . i also hope it shows something, we got it done so that we will know if its anything that we need to protect our other chins against :(

If you had time to write a post about him slowly dying, you had time to take him to a vet and have him put down. I'm not being crass or rude, I just personally cannot fathom coming home to see Bessie or Tia dying and NOT taking them to a vet or doing SOMETHING about it instead of writing a post about it here.

I am sorry for your loss, but I feel more sorry for Mickey.

i just wish we hadnt gone anywhere :( maybe then we could have caught it and saved him.

i also hope its nothing genetic, i personally have his sister and his half sister...

I don't understand why there are two posts like this (albeit from different users) so close together...

He should have been taken directly to the vet instead of your house. Experience working at a vet office or living with someone who has is not the same as an actual veterinarian. Yes, it's possible there would have been nothing they could have done for him, but at least he could have been put to sleep instead of gasping for every breath of air until he died.

Regardless of what should have been done, you made your choice and let the chin suffer. Hopefully the necropsy reveals what happened and now you know the course of action that should be taken if anything similar happens to your other chinchillas.

What bothers me is this thread was even started while he was dying. Perhaps a memorial thread would have been more appropriate after the fact and the time leading up to the death kept private. When vet care is withheld because "there is no hope" twice now by different people makes me wonder about people and their motivations for posting threads.

I am very sorry for your loss and hope that the results of the necropsy bring you some peace. I would also be interested in the results.

What bothers me is this thread was even started while he was dying. Perhaps a memorial thread would have been more appropriate after the fact and the time leading up to the death kept private. When vet care is withheld because "there is no hope" twice now by different people makes me wonder about people and their motivations for posting threads.

I agree, when one of my chins was dying the last thing I thought about was putting him in a different room and getting on my computer and posting about how he was taking his last breaths....but anyway I guess different people have different priorities.

I too would like to know the necropsy results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back