mickey is dying :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im done with this thread, the people who i want to know the results i will gladly tell. if you all think im such a horrible chin parent then i dont belong here.. and my boyfriend is to stupid to call a vet and bring him there, he freaks out when something happens to his animals. Im pretty much done with this forum because of how rude and absolutely heartless you all can be. We lost a chin and all you all can do is be complete a holes.. That has made my final decision of not wanting to be here. For all of you that are saying kind words and trying to help thank you and i will let you know the results..

now if this chin had died due to me breeding it because it was trying to give birth or something like that, ok RIDICULE ME ALL YOU WANT, but how dare you all come on here and bad mouth me because we didnt bring out chin to the vet because it was gasping for its last breathes. I'm sorry but we have never done that here since I was a child. If it was that close to death we left it be, so thats what I am use to. Now if we had found him an hour earlier, yes he WOULD HAVE WENT TO THE VET. Maybe he would have been saveable. But he wasnt, nothing could be done. So I hope you all are happy because you have officially ran me away from this forum after this. good bye

I am not going to comment on your particular choice in care. But on the good-bye that is a temper tantrum. everyone is entitled one thier own opinions. If you do not want to hear other people don't post. you do have a bit of history making poor choices and good luck finding a forum better than this one..there may be "nicer ones" that sugar coat everything but they do not have the knowledge base this forum has

i dont care if you think its a temper tantrum or not!!! i could care less about this forum anymore..my chinchilla dies and all i get from half of you is that im such a horrible person, dont think so sorry. That was my last and final straw here and like i said if it had something to do with breeding ok understandable but it didnt, so i have pm'd the select few people i want to know the results because they were not rude or tried to help and after that i wont be visiting this forum anymore, and i wont look for another one. I know what i need to know and if i need advice I will keep in contact with people that i know can help me. Last and final post , thanks

I feel awful for your animals that they will never know the mercy of euthanasia but instead be left to gasp out their lives. Regardless of whether it is what you are used to doing with animals, you should have known better being a member of this forum. If your boyfriend is not smart enough to take an animal to the vet, he should not own animals.

I'm sorry Mickey died...but we aren't the heartless ones that sat and watched a chinchilla gasp for breath until it died. If I find a chin on its way out and it's not gone within a few minutes I show it some mercy and put it down. Even a dog/cat vet can perform a euthanasia...he could have gone to a regular vet within 5 minutes of you and been shown some mercy.

But, we're beating a dead horse here. Hopefully you will post the results of the necropsy so others can learn from Mickey's death.

Are these really the statements you want to be making?
and my boyfriend is to stupid to call a vet and bring him there, he freaks out when something happens to his animals.

we didnt bring out chin to the vet because it was gasping for its last breathes. I'm sorry but we have never done that here since I was a child. If it was that close to death we left it be, so thats what I am use to.

If so then I feel sorry for the animals in your & your boyfriend's care - they deserve better & quite frankly you can throw a stop & leave this forum but Kristy is right - other forums may sugar coat things but making the people feel better doesn't help the chins.

I am sorry for the chin. RIP little one.

I would be interested in the necropsy results, if anyone who knows them would like to share with me or this thread, that would be very cool.

RIP Mickey.

Courtney-
I have also lost animals, and it is never easy, so I am sorry for the pain you are going through. I won't comment on this particular situation and what could or could not have happened but if this statement is true:

my boyfriend is to stupid to call a vet and bring him there, he freaks out when something happens to his animals.

Then your boyfriend should not be caring for any of your other chinchillas/pets. Your animals need to be able to depend on a person who is capable of thinking clearly and making smart decisions that are in their best interest no matter how upsetting the situation may be. The most upsetting situations are always the ones that require the toughest decision making.

I wish you and all your chins the best. I sincerely hope that you return to this forum and learn from the knowledgeable people who freely offer their advice for the better of your chinchillas.

I just want to comment only on the value of people’s opinions and criticism. I have posted threads here some times and got quite a few criticisms, maybe every time I post.. lol Well, sometimes I don’t feel too good and feel that they are just picking on me, but the important thing is that I have learned at least two very valuable lessons from them so far: emergency regarding “shock” and dangerous chinchilla wheels. I really think that listening to those who know chinchillas will save our chins’ lives and welfare in critical situations.

To you: Micky is going to meet my chin boy who passed a month ago. They can be friends there. They will be safe and happay playing there together.

Last edited:
The other side of the bridge is gentle and safe. Sweet dreams, Mickey.:angel2:

The chins should come first, leaving will not help them at all. You cannot honestly think this type of thread posted was not going to get this kind of reaction? We just had a thread like this in the emergency section about the owner refusing to take the chin to the vet and it died, look at the reaction it got. If you stay and learn, maybe next time you will pick up the minor symptoms chins exibit when ill, before they actually look sick, that is the key, early detection. And your boyfriend should learn too. With 20 chins, a eagle eye is needed.

Last edited:
She's upset and blowing off some steam, that's alright. I don't want her to leave the forum. It's okay to be a little upset about things in this situation for everyone involved or reading about it.

Everyone...no matter who you are or what you are doing with chins...when a chin is sick, drop everything and call/go to the vet. There was a scene from a movie where a lady found her sick dog one morning...she just grabbed her keys and got in the car and went to a vet - The Year of The Dog...I think that was it - no questioning it, no wondering if you can afford it - just go. It's the same way with chins...get in the car and go, call the vet from the car. If your vet can't see the chin, call another one. It's so important to have a back up plan and back up vets. I have three or four vets to call myself most days...but that's because I know that I may need them.

One example for me is a little chin that started making a gagging noise. This had to have been 11 or 12 years ago... I put him in the car and took him a vet that I knew saw chins, didn't call or anything. She took the chin, used the gas to put him under, and was able to get what was blocking his esophagus pushed out of the airway...he was fine after that. If I hadn't taken him in right then, he would have died. Chins are delicate and you have to take everything seriously...even if it seems like it's going to not help, try.

That stupid boyfriend has learned his lesson. Hopefully next time he'll hop in the car and zoom the chin to the vet. He needs to understand that he has to try, no matter what. The chin may have needed to just be euthanized, who even knows. :(

I do hope that this was nothing contagious. Poor Mickey... RIP little dude.

Good post as usual Susan.

It is quite possible this chin was already in a coma state and (hopefully) did not suffer at that point. Some vets refuse to let you stay with your chinchilla while it is euthed because they inject into the abdomen (or worse some vets heart stick :( ) I personally can't stand this as I NEED to be with my animals as they pass. Hopefully this little guy was held and heard some kind words as he passed. If you can find a vet that will sedate with gas anesthesia in a special box and then euth when it is under, that seems to be the kindest way. Check with your vet before you are faced with this tough decision.

Perhaps a better course of action would have been to spend Mickey's last moments with Mickey, rather than on the forum, then post a memorial thread once he had passed. I would like to believe this whole situation would have been avoided then. I think it's the thought of him struggling and gasping for breath that is causing so much censure to be heaped on the OP.

I will say this, in defense of the OP. I don't believe that anyone with a large number of chins hasn't done the same thing - whether it was a kit or an adult who was at the point of passing - that hasn't just sat and held them rather than rush off to the vet. I've done it myself, I know people in this thread have done it. I know there are times when we've suggested it to forum members when we all recognized that the chin was preparing to pass. Again, I think this could have all been avoided had just a memorial thread been posted instead.

I think everything has pretty much been said and I don't see the point in continuing with this thread. I'm very sorry for the loss of little Mickey and I hope, in the end, his passing was a peaceful one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back