Meet Guinness!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

... and the Dynamic Duo!
Say hello to Guinness, the 8 month old Miniature Pinscher. He came to me last week as a rehome situation, and although I can't say for sure... I have my suspicions that he may not have been treated in the most kindly manner. There's a chance that he could just by shy, but he's absolutely terrified of all men to the point that he'll flip out backwards and run over whatever is in his way to hide. He's better with women, but it takes some time. So, I've been working hard to socialize him. So far, we've mastered stairs, doors, ramps, shopping carts, loud signs in the wind, automatic doors, and massive crowds of people. I'm that weird girl that asks random people to sit beside him and talk to him, and hold their hands out so he can get used to them.

In the last week, he's come a long way. The woman who gave him to me told me he was paper trained -- he refuses to use puppy pads and would rather hold his bladder all day until he can go outside. I make sure I have at least half an hour in the morning to walk him and let him do his business, and then at least 2 more short walks in the evening, not including his bedtime potty trip. She said he would refuse to go into a crate and would howl his head off if forced to be in there. The first day I brought his wire crate home and placed a soft flannel blanket in there, he went in on his own and had a nap. Aside from a few minutes of whimpering when I first leave, he's quiet all day. I leave music on for him so he doesn't think he's completely alone, and that seems to do the trick.

He's an absolute joy. He's quiet and has only barked twice - both times to let me know that someone was coming into my space. The first time, I was in the shower and my boyfriend was trying to come into my room. Guinness gave a few short barks and stood between him and the bathroom until I came out and gave him the all clear. The second time, he gave one short bark when my room mate came home. He 'shushes' on command, which is wonderful.

It's so funny. When I dance to my music, he dances along and chases my toes. He does little spins and happy little yips, and will drag himself around on his belly when he wants to play. He's an affectionate little guy who refuses to jump on furniture unless he's invited. He picked up "sit" and "stay" very quickly, and we're working on "down" and "shake".

He's got his pre-neuter exam next Saturday and I can't wait to get those suckers cut off. He's quite the gentleman and hasn't tried to hump anything yet, but I just feel better when my dogs are fixed. I do not want to contribute to the pet over-population.

And now... for pictures!
38857_410310581315_684391315_5173655_923537_n.jpg

39108_411321976315_684391315_5205267_5823680_n.jpg

37522_411322136315_684391315_5205268_5723968_n.jpg

And some videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cc25_OGws0
Guinness wants to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mHVzeLUBWU
His very first rawhide.

Ahh! Look at those bat ears! Such a cutie. Good luck with him :) sounds like you're doing amazing already.

Even though they are not related, he reminds me of my doberman! Guinness is soooo cute! We adopted our dobie at 7 months of age who came from a home of neglect and most likely abuse, since he was afraid of anything and everything. We've had him for 2 years now and he's come a long way, it just takes time and patience. Sounds like Guinness is fitting in nicely, and he will be a much happier dog now that he has a good home. What a cutie!

What a handsome boy. He has the cutest yoda ears. Sounds like he is settling into his new home nicely. Enjoy your new lovie.

Back