Mad Chin Farts?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My chinchilla is a proper young lady and has never farted around me, lol. I had never thought about a chin farting before this thread. My dog kills me with his farts, my cats rarely fart, and my chin, bless her, has never farted.

I've had quite a few chinchillas and this is definitely something I never thought about... I have never heard or smelled one!! hehe

Perhaps it might sully their "adorable" image if they were to let em' rip!

I've never smelt any nuts or pasta though...

I first noticed it smelling like vitamins, like when you open a bottle of multivitamins and its kind of a weird smell. I don't know if I can eat pasta for a while, it will make me want to smell it and think about chin butts.:vomit:

Perhaps I don't pay enough attention to my chins' butts?
Hmm, I would be glad about not needing to investigate the furry booty's. :thumbsup:

Does anyone have any actual research information regarding chins having anal sacs, or is this based on assumption? I've never smelled a burnt almond chin... but I'm not doubting they do left off a smell in some way or another, what I am curious about is if this has a scientific basis to it, or if it's based on the knowledge of other animals, primarily carnivores, having anal sacs.

I don't know of any research that has been done on it but they do have a little white gland right inside the anus. I got curious and investigated on lots of unhappy, irritated chinnies. :D All of them emit a smell but the smell is actually there for only a short time so your face has to be pretty close to the chin or chin butt to catch the smell. Sometimes the smell is so light you don't smell it but the gland is there and is being used.

When the chinchilla gets stressed they push on their anus like they are defecating basically and you'll see the white gland protrude for a moment and then you'll get the smell right before the gland disappears back into the anus. I should get a video of it or something. It happens all the time here.

It's really surprising that you haven't smelled it before after so many years.

It's also possible that it's there I just can't smell! John always smells things that I don't, I always just thought he was crazy!

ah ha! My chin emits this odor cloud during playtime. Usually she gets a bit too overly excited while popcorning during playtime and poofs this stinky odor. I always thought it was her just randomly spraying (I've never seen any female chin spray; so I've been thinking spraying is a very fine mist of urine...), but this gland thing makes wayyy more sense.

Ok thanks guys...now i cant eat anything anymore...yuck...lol

Wow, glad I found this thread! My chin just released a like..clear the room scent. Smelled like vitamins to me..ick. haha
It made me a little sick [not to mention confused as god knows what] , then I started to see all the matrix moves she's pulling in her cage. She's been moody today...I think she's trying to gas me out my own room (well..hers now.)! :laughitup:

I'm glad you found this thread too! I don't remember ever seeing it before... And I think I'd remember this!:err: I have been wondering why Cleo smells like Cheerios when I try to hold her.

When my chins do that I ask them this, " DID YOU JUST POOFER ME?" :hilarious: When I was new to chins I noticed my two girls would do it and my boy did not. I wasn't so sure what it was. But I knew they did it when they didn't want to be bothered. Hee Hee... Old crabby girls. Now my sweetheart Jack never POOFED ME. A true gentleman.

All this time I thought they were spraying and I just wasn't getting the urine! Odd, that means none of my chins have ever sprayed in my presence.

This happened two nights ago, when I was having a disagreement with Biscuit over whether he was going to come out of his cage or not. It's definitely not a very common experience chez moi, but it generally smells about the same whoever does it - Cheerios!

This thread revival was pretty well timed.. Has anyone had their chins releasing their musk on purpose, untouched? Recently one of the boogers (Bowie or Ziggy.. maybe both?) have started doing this and it makes the others all crazy. We can hear the commotion from the other room and when we come in we can smell the evidence of it, just not sure which one it comes from.. :wacko:

Penelope constantly releases her stench as my mother calls it, especially when someone tries to pick her up. I didn't know what it was at first and I had Curt our vet stop by our house as he was going past to go to our other farm and he told me it was harmless to me and to them.

I have a couple of girls who like to poof me. Usually when playtime is over and they dont want to go home. Now the boys, I say go home and they jump back in their cages. Its getting to the point where I dont even smell it anymore- sad.

That's what happened to me. She was going crazy in her cage, then did an odd back/side flip and boom.

I was going to start a new thread about "chin's farts" but i think I've got my answers here

I know it is weird, but I kinda like the smell:hilarious:, it does smells like almonds, one of my chins always releases the smell when I try to grab him, and i just found out that my another chin does that too.....

To me it smells like cornflakes, and I don't really mind the smell. :rofl: Doesn't offend me at all. I find my females have done it a lot more than my males (In 13 yrs, I've seriously only smelled it from one of my males, maybe once? Until then I didn't know the males were even capable!), though. I wonder why that is?

My boys never ever did this, then we got Dale Earnhardt, and he does it all the time! It smells like macaroni and cheese, the cheap box stuff. I'm glad to see this thread to get an actual explanation, I just thought he was peeing/spraying a little here and there.

Back