Loofah Preference?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy_Bunny

Do most chins like loofah? I gave a loofah wheel to they boys 2 weeks ago but they haven't touched it. I am debating if I should order any since I don't see them using it. Any tips or tricks to get a chin to use/recognize a loofah?

Some chinnies LOVE loofah and go insane over it, and some either detest it or ignore it completely. I don't know if there's anyway to get them to like it...you could try stuffing it through the cage bars and see if they like trying to pull it back in the cage, or something like that.

I have some chins that will destroy their loofah in minutes and others that never touch it or toss it in the corner and ignore it or pee on it. Maybe your boys just don't like it...I wouldn't order it again. (They don't need it or anything...maybe there are other things they would enjoy!)

Marble loves loofah and ZZ doesn't really care for it. I think they just either like it or they don't. Something to try, if they don't like natural loofah, is to try coloring/flavoring it with Kool Aid.

Stanley doesn't really care for loofa. I bought him some natural loofa thinking he would like that more since he doesn't like colored wood, but he hasn't touched it. But the last time I ordered from Ann, I got a bonus piece of colored loofa, so I gave it to him just to see if he would even do anything with it. He DESTROYED it within five minutes. I think it depends on the chin.

Thanks for all the advice! I think I might grab a pack of koolaid and dye it to see if that will spark some interest. If not, I will just order some cholla wood instead. They boys haven't had that yet haha

A while ago I ordered a bunch of different toys for my girls to see what they liked which included loofah. My youngest chin went bonkers for it! She is usually a timid shy little girl but when she hears me cutting the loofah she's at the cage cooing and running all about. My older chin will chew it but prefers something more solid like a big piece of pumice.
So, it really does depend on the chin. Maybe contact a seller and see if they could make a grab bag of different chews and see what your boys gravitate towards.

All of mine are unimpressed by loofah. Eventually one piece got eaten but it took like 2 months. They quite love the bamboo and coconut shell and husk bird toys I've been getting. The young female cage took theirs apart a few weeks back and have been hauling the pieces around chewing on them here and there. They stuff them all in their pvc tube sometimes and then get upset that they can't run in the tube to hide. My more destructive pair just decimate the coconut hulls in days.

Back