Life stinks at the moment

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomorrow it will be a week. I still haven't heard anything from unemployment. I'm stressing out a bit. I've never had to get unemployment before, so I don't know what the procedure is.
Unemployment is a silent black hole. I had a 10 week wait for the initial one, and a five week wait for the extension. If your state does direct deposit I recommend sending the paperwork in. They do give you the funds retroactive for all the weeks you have claimed but the first. The first week is considered the week of waiting.

The nice thing is if you work for a week or two you don't get the funds but are still eligible for them. They add on to the end of the period.

I finally heard from unemployment. It went through. I got three weeks worth of checks today. That's a bit of a relief. I don't have to worry so much. At least for a few months. Anyone know of a decent paying job available in New Jersey or Philadelphia???...lol, let me know. I'm looking.

I'm letting stress get the best of me. I ended up spending the weekend in the hospital. I had been sick for several days and throwing up :vomit:, not able to keep anything down. Saturday night my husband had to call an ambulance because I passed out and hit my head on the bathroom sink. I spent Saturday night and Sunday in the ER where they gave me a few bags of fluids and stitched up my head. I don't have health insurance anymore because I lost my job, so that's going to be a nice bill that we will be paying off for the next several months. When it rains, it pours!

Erin

Last edited:
Did you have the hospital check your insurance anyway? Often times when you lose your job your health insurance is good until the end of the month.

I'm sorry, try to take care of yourself
Our hospital is county run and if you can not pay the bill you fill out some forms and stuff and they will reduce it and arrange small monthly payments with 0 interest. Call and ask them what help they have available

Did you have the hospital check your insurance anyway? Often times when you lose your job your health insurance is good until the end of the month.

Yeah, it was discontinued on January 11th.

I'm sorry for your situation. You can work out a pay schedule for your hospital bill so don't stress. They are willing to work with people even if it is just a tiny payment at a time. Tell them what you can afford. I hope you find a job soon.

All I can say is wow...

Living in Toronto, I think that I take this 'recession' thing a little bit too lightly. I see the economic impact because I have customers taking loans and bouncing cheques, etc. But I never really see what the recession has done to people. Of course, they say that in Canada, the recession is over, but I still see people getting laid off. Especially in factories and other jobs where people are just considered 'disposable'.

I know a lot of people praise these temp agencies for getting them work, but it's really not a good idea. It just allows companies to hire people for a couple of weeks and not give them benefits and be able to let them go without notice.

But we are still better off than most of the world! We have food banks to go to, access to health care (even if we have to sell our souls to get it!) and clean drinking water.

I'm hoping and praying for everyone. I just hope this ends soon.

I'm sorry to read your story & difficult times. I have been there some time
ago. My husband was laid off 3 times in the early years of our marriage.
We hung in there like a team and got through it and have been married
20 years now. It totallly sucks--but, you'll get through it....i promise.

Back