Life stinks at the moment

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErinB

I haven't been around in awhile because I've been quite busy with life. Work, pets, husband...etc. Well, I don't have to worry about being so busy anymore. I went into work today and was told to pack up my stuff..they laid me off... :( This sucks!! The job market is so slow, how am I going to find another job? My family was barely making it by on what my husband and I were making. Now what??

I am so depressed.....:cry3:

:hug2:Keep in mind, getting laid off isn't about your personal performance.. You were probably one of several (or more to come).. I hope you find something soon.

Erin take a few moments to breathe. Make sure you file for unemployment right away. I know this is scary but pray and believe and things will work out.

It'll be okay hun - I know you really don't want to hear it right now, but people do get by with much less than they had before. I have been out of work for over a year now...I have learned how to cope and not go without TOO much that I would have had before. Unemployment for me will run out VEEEEERY shortly and who knows what then. But I promise you, you aren't the first and you won't be the last to experience this. Where there is a will, there is a way hun... Keep your chin up and take time for yourself to regroup and refocus. And most definitely get to the unemployment office or if your state allows it (KY does), apply online!

Unemployment for me will run out VEEEEERY shortly and who knows what then.
If your area has a high unemployment rate you may be eligible for a Federal extension. Check with your local office

Erin, I'm so sorry. Both myself and my husband are out of work with house payments and a son to raise and no one else to help us. We have had to stop making payments on the credit card and had the car repossessed. It is terrible everywhere.

Welcome to the world of recession. My husband and I will be married for two years in June. He has been laid off 3 times! He was laid off from July to August right after we got married. I spent the money we got from the wedding for him to get his union card back so he could do construction again. He got laid off December 5th of 2008 and did not go back to work until June of 2009. Then he got laid off mid December 2009. It's rough out there. I hope that you may find another job, but I know the feeling. We have been just scraping by for most of our marriage. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers because I know how hard it is out there.

I have attached the guidelines that were posted on the KY site. And I have absolutely no idea what extension I'm on for sure - think it was the initial 13 weeks that is now turned into 14 weeks.

Attachments

• NEW_EUCInternet.pdf
    18 KB · Views: 75
I applied for unemployment online about an hour after I got home on Tuesday (the day I got laid off.) Unfortunatly I have to wait up to 10 days to hear anything from them.

Erin

I applied for unemployment online about an hour after I got home on Tuesday (the day I got laid off.) Unfortunatly I have to wait up to 10 days to hear anything from them.

Remember, go ahead and file your weekly claim even if you haven't heard from them. If you are approved you could get 2 or 3 checks all at once.

My friend got 2000 dollars when he was finally approved. So that could happen for you as long as it gets approved.

*hugs* are all I can offer right now b/c I'm not in an entirely different situation myself. All I can say otherwise is that we're never given more than we can handle, even when it seems like an overwhelming load. Just gotta have faith in your own strength and your relationship with your husband.

Tomorrow it will be a week. I still haven't heard anything from unemployment. I'm stressing out a bit. I've never had to get unemployment before, so I don't know what the procedure is.

I'm looking at the jobs that are available out there, it's scary. There is basically nothing! The one job I keep seeing that seems to be in need of people are truck drivers. I don't have a CDL, deffinetly a job I can't do.

Luckily we can get by on what my husband makes, but things will be tight. We can pay our bills and eat alot of ramen noodles. We are better off then some, though. At least we have a place to live. We have savings we can dip into if we have to, but I really don't want to. I want to find a job so things can get back to normal again.

I just can't get rid of the stress and anxiety I feel. I have a knot in the pit of my stomach that won't go away. It's driving me nuts.

Well, things always get worse before they get better.

The economy in Maine is pretty bad right now, I haven't been able to get a job in nearly half a year. My boyfriend has been supporting us both, on top of our rent, his car insurance, etc. [We even had to give away our two rabbits and I am currently on food stamps - my family is in a whole different state than I am so I have no way of getting money, really.]

I will tell you this, though; just because we're barely making it by, doesn't mean we aren't happy. I like to say that we're living the lives of a teenage couple, and that this won't last forever. Things always get better, and there is always something to look forward to. Change is slow, though, so nothing will happen overnight. Just keep your head up!

Good luck.

Tomorrow it will be a week. I still haven't heard anything from unemployment. I'm stressing out a bit. I've never had to get unemployment before, so I don't know what the procedure is.

A 3 week wait is pretty normal. The employment office contacts your employer regarding the circumstances of your job loss. Then they probably will call or e-mail you to talk with you. Make sure they have up to date contact information. Then they make a determination of whether or not you are eligible for benefits. You call call them now to find out what your weekly benefit amount will be. If you were laid off and it was a legitimate business there shouldn't be any problems.

I know how you feel... My husband got laid off 3 weeks before Christmas in 2008... 3 days before we found out we got full custody of his daughter. We used his last pay check to buy plane tickets to go to Idaho to go get his daughter... We have been living off of his unemployment, what little child support I get for my 2 oldest children and his financial aid and student loans for the past year.... We barely make it by each month... We are 2 months behind on all our bills ( gas, phone, electricity, etc.) and have only been paying our car and our rent and car insurance.. We are even on Food stamps now, which helps out a lot... My husband is even on his 3rd unemployment extension, which is his last... Once that runs out I don't know what we will do... There are no jobs out here where we live... You drive down the main street where everything is in our city and 50% of the stores are closed down and empty. It's really sad to see..

I hope you find a new job soon and good luck with everything...

When my husband was laid off several years ago, I believe he had to wait two or three weeks before his unemployment started.

The day he was laid off, I sat down and took a legal pad and made out a list of all bills we had, monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, once a year. Then I figured out what we could cut. Cable, home phone, trash pick-up, lawn service, pest control, eating out, little things that all add up.

I made out a budget for each month and made sure we could make the house payment, car and insurance payments, buy groceries and pay the utilities. I was surprised to see that we could actually pay all our monthly bills on my income, once we canceled all the "fluff". There were months where we were totally broke once the bills were paid, but we always had a roof over our heads and we always had food in the fridge. He was out of work for two years and only ended up drawing unemployment for 26 weeks.

When he did find a job, though, we were already used to living off my paycheck only so we continued it and put his paycheck towards savings and paying of debt. What seemed like the end of the world in the beginning, made our marriage stronger and turned our desire to be debt free into a realistic goal. It turned out to be a blessing.

I hope everything works out for you, and the two of you can sit down and work out a plan that will help you navigate your way through the tough times and make it a little easier on you. It was hard to give up the little things in the beginning, but to us it was worth it all in the end.

If you're ever at the library, out at a store that sells books or on a website that sells books, I highly recommend Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover book - or finding a local church or business that is offering his Financial Peace University program. You can look at his site at www.daveramsey.com. I found a lot of help through the site on budgeting, etc. His saying "live like no one else, so you can really live like no one else" really rings true when you are cutting back to the bare minimum, and it makes a lot of sense.

We'll be praying for you.

Back