Labradoodles were the trend last year...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kind of like the labradoodles. People are idiots, it was probably an accidental breeding and they thought they would make a name and hopefully sell them. What is ridiculous is that people buy these things. I had a litter of barn cats that I took to a flea market and had a sign that was free to a good home. After about an hour the man next to me said you know if you put them as for sale you will sell them faster than giving them away.

What’s worse is the so called designer dogs will most likely have genetic problems in the future. The sire and dams of the dogs are probably not even registered as they intend to breed them to a different breed anyways. People go out and buy junk that are purebreds to breed to other junk. Then again you have that with any breed not just the so called designer.

Although I agree that the ad is ridiculous, I don't see a problem with cross-breeding dogs if it is done in the right way. I mean, every dog breed we have today came from interbreeding wolves, what's the problem with still doing it? Obviously I don't mean doing it irresponsibly, like the people in the ad, but if you are an established breeder and know all about two species, I think it can be done safely and with good results.

Although I agree that the ad is ridiculous, I don't see a problem with cross-breeding dogs if it is done in the right way.

I think it would involve a collaboration of accredited breeders, and breed experts with a clear goal in mind and a REAL reason for creating the breed. There is no real need for these dogs! The labradoodle had a basic purpose, but it got out of hand. Morkies and Shipoms and Schoodles are an absolute disgrace to me.

Okay, I had to vent somewhere, and figured resurrecting this thread was a place to do it...

One of my clients brought in an absolutely adorable puppy the other day. Because I have the information, I looked up the breeder on the internet (no, I'm not going to share, despite how ridiculous I think the site is). Basically, this puppy is a bulldog/boston cross, sold as a "mini bull." The website says that it's guaranteed free of congenital defects (going through things like hip dysplasia, kidney, liver, heart problems, but not mentioning respiratory defects) and that if the dog dies of it in the first year, they'll replace the puppy. But only if the owner spends lots of money to get second opinions, any and all diagnostics and treatments, and the necropsy. The breeder also writes that they take the utmost care in making sure the puppy has been dewormed and vaccinated ... the paper I got says they started him with deworming at 2 weeks old, every week, until 9 weeks (when he was shipped off to his new owner) and started vaccines, every week, starting at 4 weeks until 9 weeks. Just in case you didn't know, vaccines take around 2-3 weeks for the immune system to process, so vaccinating more frequently actually *decreases* efficacy of the vaccines in question... and usually we start at 6-8 weeks of age because the immune system isn't mature enough to understand what to do with the vaccines before then. Deworming at 2 weeks is fine... generally goes at an every other week schedule (mostly due to the way the roundworm life cycle goes, but hey, every week won't hurt), but the dewormer listed is one we usually give for 3-6 days in a row, not single doses at week intervals... *sigh*

And the only pictures on the breeder's website is of the adorable puppies and their daughter with her horses (to prove that they only breed because they love animals, it says so). Does not show a photograph of a single one of the breeding dogs. One can only hope that these are available on request (but not sure my clients thought to ask...). And there's a little disclaimer that they don't guarantee show quality for their dogs... excuse me? Since not a single one of the "breeds" listed on the website are purebred, wouldn't that basically guarantee that *all* their puppies are not show quality? Oh, wait, maybe they'll have an accidental litter where both parents are actually the same breed XD (most are english bulldog crosses, it looks like... I guess that's what the male is).

Oh, and judging by the prices on the remaining mini bulls, my clients spent over $1200 for this lovely dog... *sigh* again. Owell. Hopefully they don't then tell me they don't have money to do anything if something goes wrong... they seem like a very nice and earnest young couple who want to do everything right in their first foray into dog ownership (I don't have the heart to tell these kind of people that maybe buying a puppy on the internet from across the country is not the best way to start dog ownership...). I guess as long as they listen to us about preventative care and take him to puppy school and all that, he at least has potential to be a wonderful pet :)

okay. I'm done beating my head against the wall about breeders. Wait, no I'm not. But I'm done venting here for the moment :)

My sister in law just bought a ****zu (it blocked it out a shi zu) crossed with another toy, I haven't seen it yet. She paid $200 for this dog that will probably have no teeth by the time it is 4. Usually I go see their new animals, but I haven't went yet. I know I'm going to have to speek my mind about it. What is worse than breeding this dog that is she supported it now the breeder can turn around and do it again.

What really gets me is when people not only breed mutts, but they don't even bother getting good AKC dogs that have had testing. Just a dog that mainly resembles a certain breed.

I have a client whose current care of her intact male malti-poo borders on neglect. The other day she was asking me if she should get a maltese or a poodle to be his girlfriend. I told her she needed to get her dog neutered. She does not know it yet because she left before I was finished with his trim, but she is fired as a client. The dog is out of control and she has done none of the things I have asked her to do in order to make his grooming safer. It just makes me angry to shave clumps of hardened nasty goo from under a dog's eye with a 40 blade, exposing raw tissue underneath. And she wants to get another dog and then have a third from a breeding.

It's just unfortunate because so many people don't realize that what they're getting with theses so called "designer breeds" is just a high priced mutt.

Case in point, my mom. We had a pug, and I know my parents want to get another small dog someday when I move out with my big girl. So she was saying how she saw these dogs for sale in the paper and wondered what they were... She's like, they're called a bug. I said, "Mom, that's a mix between a pug and boston terrier. It's a mutt. They're breeding two dogs together that you could easily go find at a shelter, and are making money off of the process". And she's like oh... She had no idea. I told her that they can never get a dog like that, it's against my morals lol. But then she went off to read the rest of the dogs for sale in the same ad... Maltipoo, cockapoo, etc etc. Atleast 6 or 7 other breeds. I said "Mom, honestly, what does this ad sound like?? They're just breeding everything together!"

And my mom is the most well-meaning person ever. It's just that people don't know to look up what they're getting. And they think the dog will be fine. But unfortunately with this type of breeding, you get whatever genetic issues the breeds have and just mix them together. :(

I think you're all missing the point: you'll get a FREE TOTE BAG!!!

And *that* is why you should purchase the puppy... duh...

I just want to tell these people.........ARE YOU FRIGGEN CRAZY??? The "PITCH" really sells me. Free tag, food, tote. :SarcasmA:

Latest posts

Back