King Prolapsed--anyone have a survivor?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Kristy, you are gooooood! Happy things seem to be going the right direction.
As you said at least he is pooing and has the energy to hate you.. lol!

What a busy and tiresome schedule you have! I know it is totally worth it, though, to get King healthy again. It's great news that he is showing improvement!!!!!

Its terrible what you have to go through to keep your chin alive, but I know from experience it is worth it, when they are eating and doing normal chin things on their own. Good luck!

The black velvet is phoenix She is one of his three ladies..You can also see a few of his kits in the pictures.

He has diarrhea that looks less mucusy now It is likely going to happen for a bit and he seems a little less bloated. He has also dropped more of that extra weight

Kristy, it's sounds bad, but I know it's a good thing for King. Hang in there, I know how much you care about all of your chins. It's funny how he looks like he's trying to blend in in that pic.

Hang in there King! Kristy you are a trooper. The things we do for our pets. I hope he feels better soon.

Phoenix is really stunning, like seriously.

I'll be thinking of you and King tonight (in a non creepy way, heh).

You may want to take him off the Baytril and go with a sulfa drug soon. Albon would help a bit in the digestive tract...and there are others that may be a little less taxing on King. Diarrhea is actually good at this point because it means the intestinal tract is moving along fecal material.

I hope he makes it through this... Poor guy...

I was considering pulling him off they baytril. His fecal matter has gotten a bit more solid and I think he looks less comfortable, but that could also be the fact that he has become essentially a pin cushion lol

He is still trucking along I am trying to leave him be as much as possible now between feeding and such.

You know, if he starts to poop more regularly, you may want to start giving the Reglan orally. That could help with not having to give him one more injection each time.

Next time you go to the vet (if you have to) ask about getting something besides Baytril. After a week on Baytril you would probably want to start him on something else anyway...so maybe in a few days.

Yeah, I agree with Susan...King's been on baytril for a long time. I know that injectable causes less problems than oral, but it still might be affecting his digestive tract. Also, I would be giving the probiotic more than once a day. But also like she said, any poo is better than nothing right now. I'd be more concerned if nothing was coming out that end.

It sounds like he's doing better every day. You're doing an awesome job!

I pulled they baytril...He has been getting the probiotics twice. There was sooo much to type I missed it. His poo has gotten more solid. Not completely solid but more so. He feels a little bloated still but not to the extent he was. I figure it will be a while before he is back to normal. I cut back on his fluids a bit (the sub q any way) and picked up some pedialyte (sp) to get oral electrolytes in. So down to 2 shots twice a day. The rest is oral, then only a few sicks of the sub q fluids a day

That's good! :) I hope that his intestines are healed up enough to start passing normal poos. He's bloated because everything that went in hasn't come out yet! Have you tried giving him Phazyme? (Get the MUCH cheaper Kroger brand of this...) There's a lot less that you have to get down the chin for a much higher, more effective dose. Just one drop instead of an entire ml.

Ok time for an update.

I have stopped the baytril. We are stopping the metcam
he has more consistant runny poop and is down to 580
He is eating the critical care well and is nibbling on food and hay
His poop is dark, the color it should be so no more yellow and looks almost formed coming out.

He is even more active. Unfortunatly he smells and will need a water bath when we are a little more improved, With the fat bloated belly and the diarrhea is is filthy.

But overall a very good report, I no longer have to borrito him for the critical care and I can wean him off the sub q fluids, we are slowly weaning him off his meds once his stool firms up a bit more

Back