Kaytee Forti-Diet Chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shoot, that was what I was feeding my chinchilla before we switched him to oxbow. Hopefully he'll have no long term damage because of it. Why was it recalled?

anthing kaytee puts out seems to be crappy. So no big loss...

Their hay isn't too bad.:blueblob: Although I'm sure others are better.

But they definitely need to recall their pellets.

Shoot, that was what I was feeding my chinchilla before we switched him to oxbow. Hopefully he'll have no long term damage because of it. Why was it recalled?

I honestly have no idea. It wouldn't go through the checker, so I didn't get any reason as to why.

I JUST bought a bag of their food...should I throw it out ASAP? Shouldve known there was something wrong when my chins weren't excited for dinner time anymore.

I JUST bought a bag of their food...should I throw it out ASAP? Shouldve known there was something wrong when my chins weren't excited for dinner time anymore.

I would return it to the store. It's not a healthy feed for them anyway. Oxbow can commonly be found in pet stores and it is a MUCH better feed.

Yeah even if it wasn't recalled I would still recommend returning it and getting a better feed. Oxbow and Mazuri are both at common petstores and are way worth the money.

Since this has been recalled (finally), does that mean pet stores will stop selling it or not? Like, is it mandatory for pet stores to take it off their shelves or can they seriously still sell this crap?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but items have been recalled in the past and I still see pet stores carrying the items! It scares me. :eek:

Since this has been recalled (finally), does that mean pet stores will stop selling it or not? Like, is it mandatory for pet stores to take it off their shelves or can they seriously still sell this crap?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but items have been recalled in the past and I still see pet stores carrying the items! It scares me. :eek:

Recalled and discontinued are two different things. If something is both recalled and discontinued, they will not sell it anymore since they must take the item off the shelf, and the manufacturer will no longer be making it.

If something is just discontinued, the store will probably put the item on clearance to get rid of it. Usually if something is discontinued, it is replaced with something new from the manufacturer.

If something is just recalled, they must take it off the shelf and either destroy it or send it back to the manufacturer. However, when they get the new "non-recalled" batch in, it will go back on the shelf.

Kaytee looks to have picked up a new line of chin feed to replace this one. Saw it when Keith and I were out the other night. It's not treat-filled though, so that's a plus!

i actually don't find mazuri to be much more expensive than the kaytee stuff and it's a much higher quality feed, it only costs a dollar more at petsmart,and a bag lasts kishi a month

there's also kaytee timothy plus, i use this for my guinea pigs in a pinch(they have for chinchillas, rabbits and guinea pigs)

I've used both Kaytee Forti-Diet and Oxbow, and surprisingly they are the same price per ounce at petsmart, which certainly made the switch easy. You'd think that the good stuff would be more expensive, but apparently products at Petsmart are overpriced across the board.

Forti-Diet was a pellet based feed, it was all pellets accept for these little red kibble-like things that were mixed in, although there weren't that many. Chinchy never ate the red things. It was definitely an improvement over the All Living Things treat infested feed, apart from the whole recall thing.

I emailed Kaytee last night to find out why it was recalled and they said that they don't have any product recalls at the moment. I also specified the product name, and from what I see it's still listed on their website, and still available in every online store that I can see.

They also wondered what source said that they had recalled the item, since they didn't want misinformation out there.

I guess that's good news?

Latest posts

Back