Japan

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akunaferret

Tasty Human
I have no idea where to post this, so if it belongs somewhere else, can someone please move it??

Rich is in the navy and is hoping to be stationed in Japan at some point, so it got me thinking. Are there Chin owners in Japan? Could I still get dust and feed for them?

To bring a chin into Japan, you need documentation of its origin/where it was raised (meaning the chin would need to have come from an inspected USDA licensed facility... pretty sure only ranchers who wholesale are the only ones who'd have that license). Otherwise, I don't believe Japan will allow them in due to risk of introducing rabies and rodent-borne diseases. They likely have a quarantine period as well.

I was looking into this a while ago because I had someone who adopted from me who was going to move back to Japan. He ended up having to leave the chin here with a friend because they were so strict on importing any kind of rodent.

There are chinchillas in Japan. It can be very hard to get them there, but once you are there you should be able to find supplies. One of the people, who worked with my husband, has a chinchilla there. I know it's not exactly a tiny tiny country, but I can find his email if you need it and you could ask where he buys his supplies. That's really the only person I know with one there. :)

Oh dear, that worries me. I'm pretty sure Chris got Flynn from a pet store and I know Tab didn't breed Quill. If we do move, i REALLY don't want to leave without them.

Thank you very much AZ :D if we do move i'll hassel you for that email.

I'm glad there are threads like this....but now I'm worried because we plan on getting stationed in Japan. I wonder which other countries require that information. My boys originally came from a petstore...now I'm worried if/when we get stationed overseas I won't be able to take my boys :cry3:

Same here Chin_Up. I told rich it'll be hassle so i'll stay behind. Should've seen the look he gave me. "We will go through the hassle."

Yeah, we've been essentially planning on being stationed overseas ever since he joined (he's still new). Our end goal is to finally move overseas after the military and live there-most likely in Japan. At least I'll have plenty of time to figure out a way to get them there. Quarantine is the least of my worries, I wonder if there will be a way for me to track down their records from the pet store. There must be records of the supplier...and the supplier must have records from the ranch...

If anything, you may be able to get a rancher to sign off on it with their USDA license # saying the chin was raised in their facility/they've never had an instance of rabies/rodent-borne diseases. In reality, it is highly unlikely anyone's chins have ever come into contact with a diseased or rabid animal but Japan is one country doing everything they can from potentially bringing it into the country...

*nod* I know that Tab got Quill from someone else, but Quill had been living at Tab's for quite a while before i got him.

Back