It is getting hot again...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TillyChinchilla

We moved into our new apartment in February, when it was nice and cool. I got to keep the chins in the dining room area, easily visible from the living room and kitchen. When it started getting really hot about a week and half ago, we had to put them in their own room with an A/C, since our central air just didn't cut it for them (and it made me feel weird not being able to have windows open, and I was always cold - though right now it is 85, I hate hot temps, just waiting til summer)

I miss seeing them! It is so odd to have them away from where we always are, and being able to pass their cage 1000x a day to say hi to them. Hopefully we can bring them back down in October. The only thing I don't miss is the mess on the floor ;)

Anybody else had to do something similar?

I can kind of understand where you are coming from. We are selling our cockatoo and as soon as he goes to his new home my chins will be acquiring their new bedroom. In a sense it will be good for them to have their own room. It nice and quiet in there and they will sleep well during the day but I will miss them being right here with me all day every day. I have 3 FN's set up in my living room with wood floors...so every morning I have a massive mess to clean up. I swear they have a poop/hay throwing party every night because I find it all the way across the room sometimes.

Yes! We recently moved all 100+ of our chins from our downstairs to our garage. It is so hard not to have them right there with me, I think I now spend way too much time out in the garage! Lol.

I used to keep my 1st chin in my son's room and after several months realized that he woke him up during the night! Then I moved him to a spare room which was cool & dark but no one ever went in there. Then I moved him to the living room........bought a nice big cage that was black wire so it sorta matched and he was SO much happier. The room is really cool at night and now that I have two of them next to each other they have company but they are out with the rest of the family and they are both very happy. In the winter my house doesnt get much above 70 and in the summer during the day the air is on about 75 but the room is cool & dark and there is also a ceiling fan.

I've actually caught my chins having the poop/hay throwing contest one night. I asked them what they thought they were doing, and Richard threw one at me and said, "Winning!" lol :)

Then I moved him to the living room........bought a nice big cage that was black wire so it sorta matched and he was SO much happier.

My cage looked really nice in my dining area, too. We went out the night we moved them upstairs and bought a new dining table, the empty space was awful!

I'm not looking forward to the really hot days, if I can't get a portable AC Kingston's moving over to the boyfriends house temporarily (they're central is WAY better v_v mine sucks)

I'm over there all day but not so much at night, it'll be tough!!!!!!

No A/C necessary here... yet!

It was 10F (-12C) on Thursday. We actually broke records with the low temperature.

I'm sure once July rolls around I may have to lug out the a/c though.

I turned my central air on today & it really cools the house quick!!

Chantel...the hubby is going to get suspicious about you being in the garage all the time. Are you having a chin-affair?? :laughitup:

Hot yesterday yes it was! Management hadn't uncovered our air conditioners yet so I had to do some chilled marble for the kids. They were L A Z Y--and I didn't allow anyone running around in their cage and going crazy til the night time when it cooled off. Hopefully they will be by tomorrow to remove our A/C cover. AAAHHHH the days of freezing my butt off in the livingroom while the chins live it up in cool luxury!

Its about 85 here today. :wacko: ehh, too hot. But the chins are in my basement library room where it is still crispy cold. ( It won't get too hot for them there until it stays warm at night, then I'll have to see if the AC fits in the little windows down there...It should, but If not I'll have to lug them upstairs and hook up the AC upstairs...uhg. )

We have had the need for the AC off and on for the last 3 weeks now. The other day it was over 90 F. My chins are spread out between the living room, and the dining room. I just can't wait to see the utility bills this summer - sarcasm intended. It's just what we have to do for our little furry family members.

Latest posts

Back