Is this true?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes to everything, except i would not spray mist on the chins, wet chins leads to fungus problems, chins should never get wet! putting it in the freezer is a method, ive never tried it, but yes it can help if your chin is too hot, just dont FORGET about the chin, if you put it in the freezer

I would not put it in the freezer because the quick temp drop can cause more damage than good in many cases.

I would not mist it unless it is dire circumstances, and even then I would not use luke warm water, I would use water that is room temp or slightly less, that would be emergency, no other alternative action IMO.

And chins should not have "nibbles off frozen fruit bars" to keep them cool. They need an a/c.

I personally would avoid letting the chins get the hot. Fruit is not needed in them either. If I had to emergency cool a chin I'd use a marble slab or fleece covered bottle.

The theory is that the cold cools them down, but really it only helps for a few minutes, and since it's cold the body often will try to compensate by raising it's temp to offset the cold.

Yup, or an icepack. Wrapping it in fleece makes it so they can't chew on it, and so they don't get too cold. If using an icepack make sure it's non-toxic just in case.

I have had to put a chin in the fridge a couple of times to help bring down the body temp and get them moving. A chin that overheats a little will do well with some crisp, cool air...maybe not as cold as a freezer, but the refrigerator certainly can help. Freezing old canned goods or putting ice in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid can help in a pinch. Like everyone always says - there's no substitute for air conditioning!

The webpage info was a good first try at explaining heat exhaustion in chins, but it needs some editing for sure!

If it is an emergency and your chin is hot, clear everything out of the bottom shelf of the fridge and put the chin in there. This is for emergencies, only! Don't put your chin in the fridge or freezer because you don't have air conditioning. It's basically something to do while you are on the phone with the emergency vet so you can get your chin in for treatment.

Definitely an emergency deal, the freezer that is. I've heard of people doing it with the door open in emergency, but closed or cracked (as they said)... I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that.

Old canned goods is a good idea too!

Yeah, a chin will freeze to death in a freezer or a fridge, and will quickly get frostbitten feet. Put a towel or something for them to stand on and stand right there with them for a minute or two. Get the type of A/C that will come on automaticly after a power blink. Put them in your car if it has A/C (after you have pre-cooled it...not when the car is 80-to 100 inside)

As Susan has said, the purpose of the fridge or freezer method is to provide a cool source of air - that should be done with the door of the fridge or freezer open, never shut or just cracked!
Apart from anything else, the chin would suffocate through lack of oxygen! Not to mention the other hazards involved. :(

Misting a chin is not going to do anything because the water will simply soak very slowly into the fur - it would run off initially also and would not have any effect. Misting only works if the droplets touch the skin and evaporate.

Using a bowl of cool (not cold) water would work in theory - if the chin was to sit in the water up to its neck so that the coolness surrounded the animal and got through to the skin BUT using the fridge/freezer for cold air would work better imho. As a last ditch if the power failed then using a bowl of cold water would be an option ......

the temperature should not be more than 70 degrees. The humidity should not be more than 80 percent where your chinchilla is existing. The sum of the two is not to go past 150

This stupid rule needs to go away, if the humidity is 40 and temp is 90, this rule says its all good.

I like the idea of using canned goods from the fridge! I have some marble slabs that we'll be keeping in the fridge or freezer for summer nights after playing. Luckily, in Flagstaff, it rarely gets above 80 and so the portable AC should be plenty and probably won't have to work that hard! :) I love living in the snowy mountains!

The 150 sum rule is only good up to like 65 or 70°F! It doesn't apply in most instances...it should be abolished except in places that never get above 65 degrees and have really high humidity, maybe?

Humidity plays a HUGE role in the way the temperature feels and how heat is dissipated and how stinky things get with chins. Out here it will literally be 4% relative humidity so a slightly higher temperature is fine, 70 degrees can be feel downright cold. In other placed with 60 or 70%rh, it can feel really warm. Regionally the temperatures in which chins are kept can vary slightly, but one thing you know when you have chins is when they start feeling a little uncomfortable. It's the point where chins don't necessarily have pink ears or lie on their sides because they are warm, it's when you can sort of tell that they aren't moving around normally and just aren't themselves. Here that point is usually about 77 degrees in really LOW humidity, it's about 75° if it's more humid.

Basically, you need to watch your chins and figure out for yourself what temperature is going to work. Just bear in mind that even if it is bone dry, you should not keep your chin over about 78 degrees. There are comfort charts out there for dictating human comfort for designing ventilation systems and such, the chins seem to follow these charts with their comfort level of the temperatures in which they are kept. Humidity and temperature are taken into consideration. I need to see if I can find a table with the data or a chart that I can post for people to possibly use as a guide.

it rains in bc lots, is that why?

The 150 sum rule is only good up to like 65 or 70°F! It doesn't apply in most instances...it should be abolished except in places that never get above 65 degrees and have really high humidity, maybe?

Humidity plays a HUGE role in the way the temperature feels and how heat is dissipated and how stinky things get with chins. Out here it will literally be 4% relative humidity so a slightly higher temperature is fine, 70 degrees can be feel downright cold. In other placed with 60 or 70%rh, it can feel really warm. Regionally the temperatures in which chins are kept can vary slightly, but one thing you know when you have chins is when they start feeling a little uncomfortable. It's the point where chins don't necessarily have pink ears or lie on their sides because they are warm, it's when you can sort of tell that they aren't moving around normally and just aren't themselves. Here that point is usually about 77 degrees in really LOW humidity, it's about 75° if it's more humid.

Basically, you need to watch your chins and figure out for yourself what temperature is going to work. Just bear in mind that even if it is bone dry, you should not keep your chin over about 78 degrees. There are comfort charts out there for dictating human comfort for designing ventilation systems and such, the chins seem to follow these charts with their comfort level of the temperatures in which they are kept. Humidity and temperature are taken into consideration. I need to see if I can find a table with the data or a chart that I can post for people to possibly use as a guide.

my chin feel hot sooner than the "guideline temps" is it cuz of humidity? should i get a dehumidifier?
but basically, you are saying: every chin can be different, so dont go with just figures on a thermometer, but your own visual observations as well.... right?

Chins are like people. Every one is different. What might be perfect temp for one could be devastating to another. A visual effort should definitely be made to make sure the temperature is appropriate and comfortable for your chin.

Back