Is this right?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do u still need to put a litter box in there if I have fleece? I can wash them daily but don't really have the time or knowledge to litter train.
You don't need a litter box, some people just like to add one to help keep the cage cleaner between cage changes. Like I said since I added the litter pan I can go a week between changes instead of just a couple days. So long as you make liners at least 3 layers thick the pee will absorb into them without a problem. To wash fleece don't use any chemical detergent, I just use a cup of white vinegar in the washer. Make sure you get as much hay and stuff off the liners before putting them in the washer too, hay will kill the washer. I vacuum all the poop and hay off before putting it in the washer. Also when you get new fleece you need to wash it a few times to get the softener chemicals out of it or it wont be absorbent.

As I said litter training is more putting a pan where they already want to pee, if you notice the chin only pees in one spot then it might be worth getting a litter pan, that way you can just vacuum or sweep the poops up daily and change the soiled shavings. If not and you don't mind washing the liners every day or two then it's not worth it.

Oh and for cleaning the cage itself, wiping down the bars and wood, I use a 50/50 water and white vinegar mix, that is what is in the green spray bottle in the pics I linked. It's safe to use around the chins, even if you aren't careful to wipe it all up. Vinegar is also naturally antibacterial, and cheap, lol.

How do you get the fleece to stick to the pan in this pic?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-02-16-14-47-16.png
    Screenshot_2021-02-16-14-47-16.png
    673.9 KB · Views: 2
How do you get the fleece to stick to the pan in this pic?
it's not stuck to the pan it's laying on the pan. It's fleece sew up like a pillow only empty, it works well as a pee pan under the fleece for the shelf pan.

What if I made one for the pan to go inside? My friend's guinea pigs get under the fleece in her cage. I've never used fleece, only wood chips.

For the shelf pan I use a fleece pad I made, as you see. Then I put the whole thing in a liner that is shaped like a pillow case, made extra long so I can tuck the extra under the pan so they can't pull it out to get under it. For the bottom, I made it a bit different, the bottom pan goes inside a liner that is shaped like an extra long pillow case made about a foot or so longer then the pan so it gets tucked under so they can't pull it out. I then made the top fleece double layers (like the pee pad inside the shelf pan) to sit on top. I hope to be able to get metal pans one day so the bottom one is made so it can be dropped into a metal pan. So both pans end up with 3 layers of fleece between the chin and the pan.

For the shelf pan I use a fleece pad I made, as you see. Then I put the whole thing in a liner that is shaped like a pillow case, made extra long so I can tuck the extra under the pan so they can't pull it out to get under it. For the bottom, I made it a bit different, the bottom pan goes inside a liner that is shaped like an extra long pillow case made about a foot or so longer then the pan so it gets tucked under so they can't pull it out. I then made the top fleece double layers (like the pee pad inside the shelf pan) to sit on top. I hope to be able to get metal pans one day so the bottom one is made so it can be dropped into a metal pan. So both pans end up with 3 layers of fleece between the chin and the pan.
What if I velcroed it to the bottom? Would that be better? Or if I did liners like a pillown case but did a zipper on the end???

The pillow case style covers the whole pan since the whole pan goes inside and the extra length makes it so there is no need to try to velcro or zipper it shut.

The problem with using velco or a zipper is you would need to make sure the chin can't chew it.
Here is a pic of the back of my pillow so you can see what I mean... you could put the zipper under it like this...

Attachments

• 16135099576731079336798.jpg
    16135099576731079336798.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 2
Do you know where I could get a cheap playpen that me and my chin could fit in? I know what you don't live in the US anymore but...

If I don't respond to any of your messages then it's probably because our electricity is out. Everyone else's electricity is out all around us so it could go off anytime..

Do you know where I could get a cheap playpen that me and my chin could fit in? I know what you don't live in the US anymore but...
There are a few popular options for pens, but keep in mind that although not all chins realize it, they can easily jump 5-6 feet so they can jump over most playpens. ( I realize none are really "cheap") Kits under 6 months shouldn't really have playtime anyway, you can hold them and play in the cage but best not to let them run around, so it could be something to save up for or even ask for as a present for a birthday or holiday.

https://www.amazon.com/Tespo-Plaype...ds=small+animal+playpen&qid=1613513624&sr=8-4 You can actually stack 2 high if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Zampa-Foldab...&keywords=ware+playpen&qid=1613513709&sr=8-55
This is what I have, it's short but they don't seem to realize they can jump over it, and I also try to fence in a larger chunk of the room so it's more interesting in the pen then out.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ware-Mfg-Ware-Exercise-Playpen-for-Small-Animals-White/489393547
A cheapest (possibly free minus the cost of tape) option is to just make a cardboard panel pen, if the chin chews on them you can cover them in fleece. The downside is cardboard isn't the sturdiest and you are basically walling yourself in.

There are a few popular options for pens, but keep in mind that although not all chins realize it, they can easily jump 5-6 feet so they can jump over most playpens. ( I realize none are really "cheap") Kits under 6 months shouldn't really have playtime anyway, you can hold them and play in the cage but best not to let them run around, so it could be something to save up for or even ask for as a present for a birthday or holiday.

https://www.amazon.com/Tespo-Plaype...ds=small+animal+playpen&qid=1613513624&sr=8-4 You can actually stack 2 high if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Zampa-Foldab...&keywords=ware+playpen&qid=1613513709&sr=8-55
This is what I have, it's short but they don't seem to realize they can jump over it, and I also try to fence in a larger chunk of the room so it's more interesting in the pen then out.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ware-Mfg-Ware-Exercise-Playpen-for-Small-Animals-White/489393547
A cheapest (possibly free minus the cost of tape) option is to just make a cardboard panel pen, if the chin chews on them you can cover them with fleece. The downside is cardboard isn't the sturdiest and you are basically walling yourself in.
My birthday is in October so that would work.

Back