Is this right?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are asking way too many questions for a quick response, o_O

Ok goodnight! I'll finish typing out what I'm writing but dont worry about responding. I'm just gonna say...the hole they chewed looks exactly like the front of a chin!😂
The hole was cut like that, they looked more chinchilla like when I first got them. Someone made them for me, but they looked similar to this https://exoticanimalsupplies.com/wp...08/chinchilla-cut-out-wood-hay-feeder-box.jpg

That makes sense...do you know of any place that may sell them cheaper? I looked into that small pet select but everyone says it's like powder...
I'm in Canada so I'm not sure I can help with where to get it cheaper, I normally buy my hay at either PetSmart or the local feed store. It's kind of interesting on the chinchilla Facebook group I'm in the Small Pets Select is the more recommended, and post picks of nice looking hay, on here people say it sucks, 🤷‍♀️ so I don't know. I've never tried it because the price they charge for it in Canada is horrible. The only dealer of it in Canada is Amazon and it looks like $75 for 10lb box plus shipping. :oops:

If I come across someone who has owned or know someone who has owned a chinchilla before and I asked them about him/her, they always only talk about how soft they are!😍 and about their POOP😑 and how they poop all the time.
Yep, they poop about 200+ times a day and they can't control it.

How about this...
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...tcO2-LkRVpbWSmFRq-8YrTpVxL0cfC2MaAsEDEALw_wcBWe buy duMOR for our chickens and we like it but Idk about hay...what do you think?
It's $9.99 for 3 lb
It's the cheapest ive found so far!!
Some people buy and have had no issues and their chins like it, but it comes down to the best hay is whatever your chin will eat, some like the high quality brands others for whatever reason seem to like the lower quality brands like Kaytee. Hay is hay so brand doesn't matter as much like it does for pellets, you can even switch between brands without issue if needed.

My parents actually weren't sure that they actually needed unlimited hay. I tried to tell them but they just said it was probably just extra stuff that pet stores want to make money off of. So I turned on a vet show (my favorite thing to watch so they weren't suspicious) and turned on an episode about a chinchilla with severe dental disease (the chin nearly died from it!) and the vet explained that the reason was that they weren't giving enough timothy hay and that made them realize how important it was!😊
Hay makes up about 70-75% of a chin's diet, they should ideally be eating a pile of hay the size of a chinchilla per day.

Not a lot from pet stores is safe unfortunately, or has unsafe parts. Things that look ok are... If they don't list what it's made of I just avoid them. Also you can get things for a lot cheaper from online chinchilla stores then from the pet stores.

Oxbow Timothy Hay Hide & Seek Small Mat
Oxbow Enriched Life Apple Stick hay Feeder
All Living Things® Rainbow Log Chews
All Living Things® Pumice Chew Block (minus the rope, blocks, and glue)
All Living Things® Timothy Hay Bundle Small Pet Treat
All Living Things® All-Natural Timothy Hay Small Pet Rope
Oxbow Timothy Hay Barrel
All Living Things® Small Animal Pumice Ledge
All Living Things® Rainbow Stick Chews
Oxbow Timothy Hay Square
All Living Things® Chilling Stone

Maybe these and a hanging kabob an long with apple chews and Pumice stones?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/584283...pdmx29anvBNZ2mKcjv3VmZ3arsSofiV4aAkJwEALw_wcB
That assortment looks good

Those look good too.

You are asking way too many questions for a quick response, o_O

The hole was cut like that, they looked more chinchilla like when I first got them. Someone made them for me, but they looked similar to this https://exoticanimalsupplies.com/wp...08/chinchilla-cut-out-wood-hay-feeder-box.jpg

I'm in Canada so I'm not sure I can help with where to get it cheaper, I normally buy my hay at either PetSmart or the local feed store. It's kind of interesting on the chinchilla Facebook group I'm in the Small Pets Select is the more recommended, and post picks of nice looking hay, on here people say it sucks, 🤷‍♀️ so I don't know. I've never tried it because the price they charge for it in Canada is horrible. The only dealer of it in Canada is Amazon and it looks like $75 for 10lb box plus shipping. :oops:

Yep, they poop about 200+ times a day and they can't control it.

Some people buy and have had no issues and their chins like it, but it comes down to the best hay is whatever your chin will eat, some like the high quality brands others for whatever reason seem to like the lower quality brands like Kaytee. Hay is hay so brand doesn't matter as much like it does for pellets, you can even switch between brands without issue if needed.

Hay makes up about 70-75% of a chin's diet, they should ideally be eating a pile of hay the size of a chinchilla per day.

Not a lot from pet stores is safe unfortunately, or has unsafe parts. Things that look ok are... If they don't list what it's made of I just avoid them. Also you can get things for a lot cheaper from online chinchilla stores then from the pet stores.

Oxbow Timothy Hay Hide & Seek Small Mat
Oxbow Enriched Life Apple Stick hay Feeder
All Living Things® Rainbow Log Chews
All Living Things® Pumice Chew Block (minus the rope, blocks, and glue)
All Living Things® Timothy Hay Bundle Small Pet Treat
All Living Things® All-Natural Timothy Hay Small Pet Rope
Oxbow Timothy Hay Barrel
All Living Things® Small Animal Pumice Ledge
All Living Things® Rainbow Stick Chews
Oxbow Timothy Hay Square
All Living Things® Chilling Stone

That assortment looks good

Those look good too.
Thank you!

I really like this litter box but it's plastic...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-02-15-14-14-11.png
    Screenshot_2021-02-15-14-14-11.png
    163.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_2021-02-16-12-31-02.png
    Screenshot_2021-02-16-12-31-02.png
    448.3 KB · Views: 2
I would also keep in mind that not all chins can even be trained to pee in a pan, some just pee everywhere. My guys use their litter pan probably about 75% of the time, it's enough so that I only have to change the fleece liners once a week. Litter training is really more putting a pan of shavings where they already decided they want to pee, normally a corner but my guys pee mostly off the half shelf where their house is, so my pan is in the middle of the cage. Here is my litter pan, the rock gives them something to sit on, for some reason chins like to sit on rocks to pee so it can encourage them to pee there (I need a bigger rock but haven't gotten around the getting one).
litterpan.jpg

I would also keep in mind that not all chins can even be trained to pee in a pan, some just pee everywhere. My guys use their litter pan probably about 75% of the time, it's enough so that I only have to change the fleece liners once a week. Litter training is really more putting a pan of shavings where they already decided they want to pee, normally a corner but my guys pee mostly off the half shelf where their house is, so my pan is in the middle of the cage. Here is my litter pan, the rock gives them something to sit on, for some reason chins like to sit on rocks to pee so it can encourage them to pee there (I need a bigger rock but haven't gotten around the getting one).
View attachment 21288
That's funny. I'll have to get one

Also...if I was to put fleece liners over the stone, would it ruin the purpose or would it still keep them a little cool?

The only reason I wanted to do stone is to cool them off and i heard its easier to clean their poop but if it's just more money to get a litter box, shavings, etc, then is it worth it?

Also...if I was to put fleece liners over the stone, would it ruin the purpose or would it still keep them a little cool?
The only reason I wanted to do stone is to cool them off and i heard its easier to clean their poop but if it's just more money to get a litter box, shavings, etc, then is it worth it?
Umm, I'm confused. Do you mean stone as in tile? If so I would go with ceramic tile not stone, stone needs to be properly sealed which takes time to set. I'm not sure how long I think like 24 hours maybe, and during that time the chin can't be in the cage. It would also need to be redone every few years. To tile the cage you will need some sort of platform for the tiles to sit on, you can't use the plastic pans since they aren't flat they have a lip. I've seen a lot of people use coragated plastic then lay the tiles on that. If you want to put fleece over that I'm not sure what the point of tiling it would be.

If you want to go with fleece you can just buy fleece liners to go over the plastic pans. If the chin is not litter trained you just have to wash the fleece more often. Some find the fleece needs to be changes daily, others 2-3 times a week, it comes down to how much your chin pees and how sensitive you are to the smell.

Umm, I'm confused. Do you mean stone as in tile? If so I would go with ceramic tile not stone, stone needs to be properly sealed which takes time to set. I'm not sure how long I think like 24 hours maybe, and during that time the chin can't be in the cage. It would also need to be redone every few years. To tile the cage you will need some sort of platform for the tiles to sit on, you can't use the plastic pans since they aren't flat they have a lip. I've seen a lot of people use coragated plastic then lay the tiles on that. If you want to put fleece over that I'm not sure what the point of tiling it would be.
Yes, sorry..that's what I meant... that's true...I may just do that...

I lay tiles down on top of the fleece in spots to give them somewhere to lay that is cool if needed. If you look closely at the pic I posted of my litter box you can see 3 tiles in places on the fleece.

If you want to go with fleece you can just buy fleece liners to go over the plastic pans. If the chin is not litter trained you just have to wash the fleece more often. Some find the fleece needs to be changes daily, others 2-3 times a week, it comes down to how much your chin pees and how sensitive you are to the smell.
I got covid back in December and still can't smell very well but of course will still change regularly. The smell won't affect me very much buto maybe our guests and my family...

I got covid back in December and still can't smell very well but of course will still change regularly. The smell won't affect me very much buto maybe our guests and my family...
Do u still need to put a litter box in there if I have fleece? I can wash them daily but don't really have the time or knowledge to litter train.

Latest posts

Back