Is my chin standard or light ebony

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rachelmz

I had a baby boy born in early august from an extra dark ebony mom and a standard dad. I have always thought he was a standard gray, while his sister is dark ebony. My boyfriend insists that he is light ebony. So, I've posted some pictures of my little cutie, Gizmo. Someone please help solve our dispute : )

Attachments

• IMG_0701.jpg
    IMG_0701.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0703.jpg
    IMG_0703.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 59
I'll try and get some better ones with a white background in a few minutes.

i would "consider" that as a light ebony.... but then again could be a dirty bellied standard.... No way to tell the difference other then looking at the breeding background....
ETA that i have have had light ebs born with really light feet.....

Here are three more pictures, hopefully they help with a white background.

Thank you all for taking a look, I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0720.jpg
    IMG_0720.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0721.jpg
    IMG_0721.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 80
Light ebony for me too.

No way to tell the difference other then looking at the breeding background....

That's not true, ebony modifies how the standard color "sits" so to say. You see enough of them you'll eventually be able to pick it out. :))

Ebony fur is definitely different...I can tell right away when I see a chin displaying ebony. This chin isn't right in front of me, and I must have the world's cheapest monitor...so most of the time I can't tell for sure unless it is blatantly obvious about the color.

Agreed, the second set of pics shows the belly clearer and I too would consider him a light ebony :)). He's cute!

and I must have the world's cheapest monitor...so most of the time I can't tell for sure unless it is blatantly obvious about the color.
Having a setup for graphic design definitely helps. I often forget about you guys with tube monitors <cough>Ronda</cough> and older graphics cards.

Sometimes I download pictures and adjust the color on them if I'm on the fence. Maybe I should start a thread on that...

LOL Tara - my computer is very old. I don't want a new one because that presents the possibility that I will have to learn new software. I'm personally stuck in about 1998 with my understanding of technology...and learning new things tends to hurt my brain.

Oh yeah...that chin is ebony. Probably has a few strains of ebony. :) From what I have heard ebony can be dominant and recessive. Others have done far more research than I have! So, I am sure they could tell you a lot more about it than I could. :)

okay. well thank you everyone : ) unfortunately I have to admit to my boyfriend that he was right...

If you do it correctly, you can get more out of saying he was right than you would ever think possible. This gives you a chance to work on one of the most important things...your skill in manipulation.

OK...you can say, "Sweetie, you are so smart! You were right! I just love how you know these things." This is something that will work very well for you. Act happy, don't go in and begrudgingly say, "Well, you were right. You just got lucky." Men like to feel smart... :D

Back