Is it a big fur slip on my Goldbar girl?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne

Unlike my few other chins, my goldbar girl Lan Lan seems not like cleaning her own bottom much and always got her bottom stained yellowish. On occasional basis I have to clean her bottom with moist tissues, comb free the matted fur on her bottom and then blow dry her bottom by cool air.

Today I offered her the usual "grooming service" and dead hair came off with the comb easily. But this time much bigger knots of dead hair came off. I was pretty sure they were dead hair cause I did not need to pull by force and they just came off easily. Now she got quite a big bald area on her bottom (images as below). She always has thicker fur than my few other chins. Is this a hugh fur slip? Just hope this isn't fungus infection. Has anyone come across similar situations?

Attachments

• DSC00665.jpg
    DSC00665.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC02165.jpg
    DSC02165.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC02166.jpg
    DSC02166.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC01446.jpg
    DSC01446.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 93
It looks like a fur slip to me, if a matt came out it would leave a spot like that.

Are you sure that's a gold bar? She looks pretty white...

Thanks Stackie and Riven for sharing your views. That makes me less worry.
She is a goldbar, just that it is difficult to catch her real fur color and her red eyes in photographs. Here are more images that reflect more of her true fur color. :)

Attachments

• DSC07760.jpg
    DSC07760.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC08514.jpg
    DSC08514.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 86
I'm not aware that goldbars usually have red eyes, all of the ones I have have seen have blue eyes. I'm going to guess you bought her on .com though?

Yes, Lan Lan was exported to Hong Kong through .com.
I searched for Goldbar chinchilla on the internet before and information says their eyes are red. Mine comes with red eyes. I saw another one with red eyes before. Are there blue eyes?

They aren't blue like how people have blue eyes, but they have a dark blue ring in them. That is how all of the ones I've seen have been. I'm just surprised she is so light, Jim would know, that is who would've bred her for .com. She looks like a nice confirmation, what is her weight?

They aren't blue like how people have blue eyes, but they have a dark blue ring in them. That is how all of the ones I've seen have been. I'm just surprised she is so light, Jim would know, that is who would've bred her for .com. She looks like a nice confirmation, what is her weight?

Yes, Jim is the breeder. :)
It is night time in Hong Kong now. Let me get a closer look at the eyes of my goldbar girl tomorrow under daylight .
She weighed 525g a year ago when I first took her home. Now she is 1 year and 9 months old and currently weighs 650g.

Not too bad of a weight, that's definitely an area that we've been trying to work on is getting a little more size on them. Sounds like she must like that "Asian Cuisine" and gained good for you!

Not too bad of a weight, that's definitely an area that we've been trying to work on is getting a little more size on them. Sounds like she must like that "Asian Cuisine" and gained good for you!

LOL
I actually feed my chins mainly with American food - Mazuri pallets (1/4 portion mix of Oxbow pallet) and APD hay (mix of 1st cut, 2nd cut and mountain grass). In addition of a few pieces of Japanese Sanko high fiber pallet. Is it good to mix hay? Or will I make them picky by doing this? May be I have been spoiling them too much.:popcorn:

I say if it's working stick with it! Sounds like a good mix, different hays have different textures and promote different kinds of chewing. :D

So far the bald area has not widened. However, seems like not much noticeable new short hair yet. Does it usually take at least two weeks for new hair growth?

Last week I found the area on Lan Lan was fully covered with newly grown short hair. Relief to see that. :)

Back