Intros - when to give up?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CerLynn

So tonight was our 2nd try at introducing Kokomo and Kenai... and it didn't go all that well again. Their cages have been right next to each other for a good few weeks now (we started that while Koko was finishing healing up), and they pretty much completely ignore each other.
Their first playtime together was a little less than a week ago, and it started out with some mild chasing but quickly turned into snapping at each other, so we separated them immediately. That time, we didn't give any distractions other than ourselves.
Tonight, we added 2 dustbaths and some toys. We also trimmed Koko's whiskers, as he seemed to be the more aggressive one the first time around. It went fairly well for the first few minutes, but that was because they were mostly distracted with taking their baths. Once they were done, they started to get a bit more defensive... some snapping again and I think Kenai may have even tried to spray Koko (yes, he's a boy, we've done hair ring checks)... he stood up on his hind legs and kacked a bunch, and he left a nice puddle of urine where he had been standing. Tonight it seemed almost as if they were taking turns being the aggressor.
I know there are a few more tricks we can try, such as vanilla on the nose and smooshing, and obviously we would wait another week or so to try anything again. But considering that there's been actual aggression both times, I guess my question is whether it's worth even trying again, and if so, at what point do we give up? We would love to see them get along, but we've got plenty of room for both separately. Any thoughts?

The behavior that seemed to be the chins "taking turns" to be the aggressor could be just them working out their dominance issues. It is hard as a chin parent to watch your beloved chin kids beat each other up and sometimes it really is just time to throw in the towel. I would say that, if you can stomach it, have them have supervised time together and just let them have at each other and don't let them stop until you see some super-level of aggressive (as in serious biting).

For me, I couldn't take even just the fur pulling so after 3 times of trying to unsuccessfully trying to bond my Ava and Madison I gave up. I separated a cage in half and assumed they would be better off separated.

Except of course, I came home to find one day that, after much chewing, the two of them had actually chewed through the wood that separated the two of them and have been best buddies since that day. Go figure. :hmmm:

Is there fur flying at this point? Many people say that allow them to figure out their dominance if you aren't seeing major fur flying and pulling.
If they're constantly chasing and pulling fur out of the other one, at that point I would stop and separate them.
Of course I'm not expert either as only 2 of mine have gotten along and they got along without a fight.
The others I tried but once the fur was flying I stopped.

I have heard it could take months of playtimes before they can get along. Some just never do. Like our Freddy will go nuts if we put his cage anywhere near our violet female but he's ok being near our white ebony.

Yes, they've both slipped some fur - Kenai moreso than Kokomo, but he slips very easily to begin with. Though I wouldn't consider it major flying, but it's so difficult to figure out when enough is enough. What has worried me more than the fur slips is the snapping... they literally lunge at and snap in each other's face, and the first time, Kenai ended up with a tiny nip on his nose. They could probably be left a little longer, but like heyjudes, we have a hard time stomaching it.
We're considering trying either smooshing or Peggy's carrier-in-cage method, but I still worry about the potential dangers there.

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time with your intros :( I agree with what's already been said...as long as they're not overly aggressive, let them establish dominance. I have 6 boys and have done a few intros and some went better than others. I can put all of my boys together to play and they're fine, but if I let Gideon play with everyone, well, he's a bully boy and picks on the others.

When I intro'd my first two, Cheeko & Gideon, they pretty much did what you're describing with your boys. Anyway, long story short, Cheeko ended up with a pretty bad bite on the back of his neck so I kept them separate for a month or so. One day while I was cleaning cages Cheeko was out playing and Gideon got out of his cage (as I was cleaning it) and they've been buddies ever since.

I wouldn't say totally give up...give them some more time apart then try again. I would recommend one thing though and you may already be doing it. I always kept a big bath towel with me while mine were having playtime together...that way if they started to fight I would just throw the towel on them and they stop almost immediately. Just a quick way to break them up without literally jumping in the middle.

Good luck!!

I was going to ask this same question today! After a month of side by side cages, I tried to introduce Stitch (rescued from craigs list) to Richie (3 yrs old) and they just didnt seem to get along. I tried playtime a few more times and the last time I think Stitch hurt Richie because Richie got stressed and wouldnt eat, backed up in his cage, was afraid to come near me. So I decided to split the huge cage we are building and have the option to open it in the future.
I did notice that Stich has some holes in his ears and his tail is a bit "ratty", so he must have been with other chinchillas (i was told he was from Petsmart). He still nips at me sometimes but the more time I spend with him, the more he trusts me.
Once I have them in the same cage but separated, I guess I wil see how they act and maybe try playtime again. Love the towel idea!

Michelle

Back