introduction trouble

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

smooshed

my older chinchilla is really mean towards my younger chin. they are only 3-4 months apart. the younger one tries to be friends with the older one but the older one tries to attack the young one all the time. i tried rubbing the stuff on their nose, and trimming wiskers and switching cages and putting one in a small show cage in the other ones cage. but the older one still attacks the younger one, and i really want them to get along. anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
It could just be they're not meant to get along, which not all chins are. How long diid you have the younger chin before trying to introduce it to the older one? Give them some time to cool down, maybe a month or so, then try again. If it doesn't work, well, then you're older one is probably meant to be alone.

Just curious by the colors in your desc. Are they same sex? The names sound it, but the blue/pink make me wonder.

yes they are same sex my chins just like those colors, and ive had the youger one 2-5 months before i got the older one

If your older chin is continuously being mean to the younger one, I'm going to bet that they just won't get along. You can't force chins to get along. Many just choose not to like each other.
At this point it sounds like you've tried what you can. I've had the same issues with some of my chins and then I just leave them to live alone. Chins are perfectly fine living alone.

Not only that, but if you continue to keep trying to put them together and they are obviously not getting along, you could end up with a very hurt chin. And even if you at some point do get them to get along, they can always change their mind, it's just the way it goes.

I would be inclined to let them live alone.

Chins don't always get along. Some are more easier going and easy to pair (group) Others are very dominant and won't give up that top spot, without a good fight. I would suggest keeping them apart for a while (month or so) with cages close, but not close enough to bite/scratch. That way you can look at their personalities and see if there's something that you can help them get along, or if it's just not going to happen. I've been lucky with having enough chins here that if one doesn't get along there's always another pair that'll work. The other issue that might be going on is the size of the cage - I've had pairs in small cages that fought and when I moved them to large cages they are perfectly fine. They just need to have space when they want it. (just like us he he he). Another problem with keeping chins together is that they may like eachother one day and not the next, so you can't get comfortable with them being together because they may suprize you.

It sounds like you have done all you can. Intros are not fun or easy sometimes, and some chins just can't get along with each other or another chin at all. I would suggest letting it go and sticking one in your extra cage. Sucks when they can't stay together but it would suck worse if you ended up with a dead chin on your hands:winkers:

yeah i guess they wont get along, i was so hoping they would get along. o well

my one chin does have a little horse that she likes to cuddle with but she likes the other chin alot. its just the older chin that doesnt like the younger one.the older one doest like cuddle buddies either she just shoves them in her litter box.

my one chin does have a little horse that she likes to cuddle with but she likes the other chin alot. its just the older chin that doesnt like the younger one.the older one doest like cuddle buddies either she just shoves them in her litter box.

Sometimes that's just how it works. Make sure the cuddle buddy is chin safe aka made of fleece. And if you spend more time with the "lonely" one, they will bond more to you than the other chin. :hug2:

ok and yes the horse is fleece and chin safe. she loves that horse so much shes never even tried chewing on it

Back