Injested Plastic

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schweppes

I used to have ramps in my Superpet cage and they started chewing on them, I took the ramps out right away, but there was some serious chewing done. Is there anything that can be done for a chin that's injested plastic? My girls seem perfectly healthy right now.

Pretty much the only thing is to watch the poop, and make sure they keep on pooping and the poop doesn't look strained.

If she started chewing the ramps, I would be careful and watch that she doesn't start chewing the plastic base to the cage. Many chins have done this and made a hole big enough for them to escape all in one night.

They've been leaving the base and the ramps alone and just sticking to chewing to wood, I've been checking for chewing every day and it's teeth mark free.

When I get a job again I was going to get them a new cage, I was thining a quality cage chin mansion, then I won't have to worry about it.

Their poop's looking healthy, if it does start looking strained what should I do?

chewed doesn't necessaily mean ingested. I would pull the ramps out, but keep in mind when chinchillas chew up items they don't eat them, just chew them up

I actually think some things are ingested. I know when I watch my girls chew a twig up, they don't spit the bark out.
But I do agree that there's always the chance that they just chewed it and didn't actually eat any.

If it starts looking strained, I would take them to the vet.

Since the poop is fine they probably didn't injest it then. Thank you both for your help. It's good to know what to look out for.

I actually think some things are ingested. I know when I watch my girls chew a twig up, they don't spit the bark out.
But I do agree that there's always the chance that they just chewed it and didn't actually eat any.

If it starts looking strained, I would take them to the vet.

I agree. I have to watch how much cardboard I give my boys because they don't chew it, they eat it. I can't give either of them any plastic at all (that they can get to) because they will chew it to pieces. Chula has a plastic hay holder outside of the cage, but has never went for it because he's more interested in the hay (and this is being changed out once mine from Bass gets here). Other than that though, absolutely nothing plastic for either of them.

Back