if i can what kind of vegetables can....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They can't have any vegetables. Vegetables cause bloat. Stick to rosehips, shredded wheat, cheerios, oats or there are some members that sell herbs that are safe for chinchillas to eat. No fruits, veggies, nuts or seeds.

Chins really don't need treats. Humans need to give treats. I tell every new owner that comes through my barn K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple stupid. Chins do much better with a diet of pellets, hay, fresh water, and wood chews than they do with constantly giving them treats. Take a look through the emergency section at all the pet owners that have had chins with bloat. Then look how many breeders have. In 9 years, I've had one case of suspected bloat and I firmly believe it's because I don't load my chins up with junk food.

I saw that Oxbow has some veggie treats that are for chinchillas, guinea pigs, rabbits, etc, I wanted to get some nice Oxbow treats from them, but I said no, because I know that chins can't have veggies, but what do you guys think? can chins really have these veggie treats from Oxbow? I just find it weird that if chins are not supposed to have veggies, why then they would make these kind of treats for them.

Companies make items to sell products, they do not care if its not appropriate for the animal or not. Its up to the owner of the animal to do research if its safe or not.

They make them because it's another product to sell. Whether or not a company says something is safe for chinchillas...WE are telling you it is not. I, personally, know chinchillas that developed bloat when they introduced vegetables to the chin's diet, then the chins went into GI stasis and died. Based on that and many many many many many many many similar storied, I'm telling you not to feed veggies.

Chinchillas are hind gut fermentors. They eat dried grasses in the wild...there are NO vegetables, nuts or fruits available to them in the wild. There are some seeds, but they are mostly grass seeds, not sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds.

I got beaver too! At least it takes them a couple of min to strip a stick and cut it in three parts, a cheerio would be gone in a instant!

They make them because it's another product to sell. Whether or not a company says something is safe for chinchillas...WE are telling you it is not. I, personally, know chinchillas that developed bloat when they introduced vegetables to the chin's diet, then the chins went into GI stasis and died. Based on that and many many many many many many many similar storied, I'm telling you not to feed veggies.

Chinchillas are hind gut fermentors. They eat dried grasses in the wild...there are NO vegetables, nuts or fruits available to them in the wild. There are some seeds, but they are mostly grass seeds, not sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds.

Yeah, I thought so too, but thanks for giving me your opinion, it verifies my concerns then.

Chins really don't need treats. Humans need to give treats. I tell every new owner that comes through my barn K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple stupid.

ha! I like that.

Giving them hay or their pellets often satisfies the need for the owner to give their pet a treat--I do it all the time. And giving apple twigs makes me feel better, too.

people more often than not kill their chinchillas with kindness...I agree no fruits or veggies, or bread or anything else they beg for, I can't tell you how many times I have heard.....but they were begging and sooooo cute. They aren't cute as they die from bloat or ruptured intestines

They do love to beg and be cute, don't they? No veggies or fruits at all. As was already suggested, rosehips, whole oats, plain cheerio or shredded wheat, an apple twig, or a small piece of whole wheat pasta will make them nearly as happy as something sweet. . . :)

thanks for the advice everyone. i sure don't want my chins to bloat. they do have tons of chews in thier cage and hay and water. but i think thier board with it. i give them a lil piece of a raisen once in awhile...

My chins go CRAZY for a plain shredded wheat. I give them half a spoon sized piece and they LOVE it. It seems to be the one that they all like.

My chins love doritos and cheetos... those are okay to give right?

How do you know they are bored? Are they twiddling their thumbs? I wonder if my chins are bored, they sit around a lot.

My guys love red rose buds. They only get one once a month, if that. They do get lots of chews, mulberry is the current favorite, as I just baked some. They really seem to like cottonwood too. Has anyone tried loofa, Ive been thinking about trying a few slices on their hanging toys to see if they like it.

I know what you mean about them getting bored with certain kinds of wood. For the longest time I was only giving apple wood, now I have switched it up with grape vines, mulberry, ash, cottonwood, cholla, hawthorn and pecan. I even made a bridge with them0 took me forever to drill the holes in the same spot on each branch, lol. My fingers were blistered by the time it was done and in the cage.

My chins love doritos and cheetos... those are okay to give right?

How do you know they are bored? Are they twiddling their thumbs? I wonder if my chins are bored, they sit around a lot.

Sad to say a well known rescue does feed doritos and human oatmeal cookies with a sugar coating-saw it with my own eyes and I about had a stroke.

a chinchilla breeder told me that papaya is a good treat, because it helps with the pooping and to clear out the system.
is this true?? if not, i dont want to continue with treats at all!

Back