I think Sammy has Malo...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxchincerelyxo

PM for pet portraits <3
So I noticed that my boy Sambuca was loosing a bit of weight (8g in 2 months) and that he started crumbling his food...and has watery eyes. So I took him into the vet to have him tested for a few things...malo being one of them.

The vet couldn't find any gas or eye infection, said that his teeth seems to be well lined and colored during the exam but of course we need to get x-rays.

(Not a vet rant, but this is why everyone needs to have funds in case of an emergency!!! The x-ray will cost me $400.70!!!)

So I have to make an apt. for him next Wed. (the earliest she would be in to do the x-rays) and I'm just dreading it. I have a feeling in my gut that it isn't going to turn out well.

Please send good thoughts and any words of experience would be helpful. I wish I could try to find somewhere a little cheaper, but she is the best and I refuse to go to anyone else for something this serious......I'm just in pieces over the thought of losing my little boy :cry3:

I am so sorry! I hope its not so. All the best wishes for you and especially Sambuca!

Oh I'm so sorry :( We'll keep our fingers crossed that it's not malo. I went through this with my 1st chin last fall and we had to put him down in early December, it still hurts real bad that he's gone. The first signs for my situation is exactly as you describe, I had never heard of malo until I went to the vet with my chin. My vet believed the signs/symptoms to be malo and immediately anesthesized (sp?) him and took 3 head xrays. Xrays showed his lower molars growing inward and cutting into his tongue, so my vet filed them down, but it also showed that his roots were elongating towards his jaw. His upper jaw teeth were perfect. At the time, my vet was hopeful, maybe for my sake, that filing his teeth would fix his problem but after my second visit and another xray showing that the roots were still growing, I had to make that difficult decision. Between the 2 visits he was on CC every two hours and he drank water on his own. He actually gained weight, probably with my overfeeding him but he LOVED the "apple/banana" flavored critical care. Sorry for the rambling, you can pm me if you'd like, I hope all goes well with your little guy.

Last edited:
The x-ray will cost me $400.70!!!
I would find a new vet, that cost is exorbitantly high. I took my girl to one of the most prestigious veterinary hospitals on the East Coast and only paid 150.00 for x-rays.

8g is very little weight to lose, however, with all of the other symptoms it does seem that dental issues are a possibility. I will be hoping the best for your girl.

Sorry but that fee is not high in some areas of the country. That would be approx. the fee around me - NJ/Conn/ and near NYC - I paid $2,300 for a c-section - that is 'the going price'

Hey mt zion, I am in your area. What vet are you using? I just had my girl tested for malo, blood work, and anesthesia for eye cleaning and the whole bill was that much. My vet is great and I would reccomend her. I go to Rutherford animal Hospital with Dr Cantamassa

I would find a new vet, that cost is exorbitantly high. I took my girl to one of the most prestigious veterinary hospitals on the East Coast and only paid 150.00 for x-rays.

8g is very little weight to lose, however, with all of the other symptoms it does seem that dental issues are a possibility. I will be hoping the best for your girl.

I was guessing that it was higher, but realistically she is the best in the area. Especially if he has to be put under I'd want the best of the best I can get.

But to anyone out near the SB area, if you have suggestions for other vets I'm open!!!

i am currently battling malo issues with one of my chins. she too was doing that food crumbling thing and i didnt realize that was a sign of teeth issues.... eventually she started drooling and pawing at the mouth so we got xrays, etc.....

that price does seem high..... i found that it wasnt the xrays that were expensive, it was the cost for the anesthesia to have Chloe put under.

good luck with everything!

I was wondering how the vet visit went. I hope you can find someplace that is cheaper. Here they charge $60CAD just to see the exotics.

Good luck with everything. I'm really hoping it's not malo, and maybe there is just a piece of hay stuck in the teeth or something... Best wishes.

Wow I my Bria is going in for x-rays tomorrow for possible malo as well and the vet told me $85...also getting blood work done while she is under and that's gonna be around another $100. I am just ruling out everything and anything so figure out what's up with her slight skinny-ness and off poops.

I'll keep Sammy in my thoughts along with my Baby.

...what on earth is with all the possible Malo lately?

I was guessing that it was higher, but realistically she is the best in the area. Especially if he has to be put under I'd want the best of the best I can get.

But to anyone out near the SB area, if you have suggestions for other vets I'm open!!!
If that includes anesthesia and bloodwork then I can see it getting to that price, my bill was over $400.00 for my first visit alone - 150.00 to walk in their door - but if it is the cost of the x-rays alone then it is definitely high.

That price seems pretty high. My vet charged $225.00 for exam, blood work and x-rays. He didn't have to use anesthesia because she just sat there without moving. Good luck with Sammy.

Ditto that. I live in the boonies and only paid 160.00 for 2. that seems way high

Latest posts

Back