I think I need help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when you go to the vet remember not all vets have great knowledge for chinchillas, many aren't keep that in mind. I have had several tell me they see chinchillas then tell me nothing but crap. One would've killed my chinchilla had I taken his advice, but he was an exotics vet. No One knows it all. and the onlyy way to know quality is to have someone experinced evaluate your chinchillas. People can be "barn blind" (google the term)

Thanks for the help guys. I will study the FAQ. Yeah I learned about the quality stuff. I will keep your warning in mind, I will test him or her. Just ask a few basic questions. Although, they are the most recommended vet in my area.

Last edited:
Hey, I have a quick question about my chinchillas behavior, my chinchilla, chi chi(the youngster) annoys me he always come up to the cage like he is begging for more food when I have already given him like a handful of hay. What does this exactly mean? I know there is a website for that stuff I just forget where it is.

Hannah - Why don't you start a new thread with a new question instead of just continually adding to the same one. It makes the thread confusing for people reading it, plus, you may not get an answer quickly.

Sorry tunes alright but doesn't it become a annoying for some people? Also don't you have regulate them so it make it harder for you. No but I will I know that adims do a lot around here thinking that maybe I could give them a break once in a while. Keep on doing what your doing tunes its making this forum better!:woohoo:

And I was being serious though you do a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
not all vets have great knowledge for chinchillas

Actually MOST vets don't know anything useful about chins.

There is an edit button so you don't have to post repeatedly.

If you want to see your chins front teeth, hold the chin and lift up their lip. I'm not one for having to coerce my chins into submission when it's regarding their health.

The little chin will come up to the door because she wants a treat, attention, or out.

Thanks I don't know how my brother did and I was typing when he put the wood in. He said they are orange.

Thanks everyone there is a lot of information here I will come back to this and maybe ask a question or two. Only if I don't see it somewhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Luck Hannah!! When I want to look at their teeth, I usually play with them for a minute or two and then hold them and just pull up their cheek GENTLY!! I had to pull hay out of a chin's back teeth one time, just be careful because they may bite a bit. I am glad you are not breeding!! You sound like you are on your way to taking good care of them!!

I also wanted to add I'm assuming you don't know how to do a hair ring check. So when you take them to the vet make sure your male is checked, that may be why he is digging at his genitals a lot.

If you need help with hair ring checks, there is a video on some site...

*someone come along with link:wink3:*

hair ring checks should be done at least once a month. I do mine every two weeks because I have two boys together :thumbsup:

Hey, I have a quick question about my chinchillas behavior, my chinchilla, chi chi(the youngster) annoys me he always come up to the cage like he is begging for more food when I have already given him like a handful of hay. What does this exactly mean? I know there is a website for that stuff I just forget where it is.

That annoys you? My chins usually do that when they want attention...How often are you getting them out for play time?

Yeah, It makes me feel like I didn't put enough food in... even though I did...

Feel lucky that they want attention. You could have a chin that hates you and cacks at you instead..

Yeah I know. He does the the funniest things. When he is on his flying saucer, he tries to get to me. Funniest thing in the world! I love it. He is also very interesting because when I try to pet him he just runs away.

Also, has anyone noticed there chinchillas looking at the TV? I usually watch something and I see them looking too. Like they know what it is. I got to say that chinchillas are smart little guys.

Feel lucky that they want attention. You could have a chin that hates you and cacks at you instead..

Yep. I've had Bubbles since October, she's always got fresh food, fresh hay, fresh water, toys, gets play time every single day and up until this very day, she still cacks at me. None of my other chins do, Twinkie and Popcorn loved me from the get go.

ETA: It's not just me that she cacks at. Anyone who has ever came around her gets a dose of Miss Bubbles's mind.

She has attitude I guess. I think it is time we move this to another thread since it isn't about helping but more about our chinchillas behaviors I will make another thread in Behavior if you guys want.

The topic is getting onto chinchilla behavior because you asked why your chin 'greets' you at the side of the cage because it annoys you.

Back